12 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2009 8:46 AM by RobFJ

How to import .mp4 file?

jeffareid Level 1

I'm trying to import mp4 files. Here is an example:

[url]http://jeffareid.net/misc/nfsshiftdemo.mp4[/url]

• 1. Re: How to import .mp4 file?
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

CS3 does not support mp4 on import only on export.

So you need to convert the files to some type of format CS3 likes e.g. dv-avi.

• 2. Re: How to import .mp4 file?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This LINK might give you some useful suggestions for the conversion process. Not sure that it is mentioned in that link, but QuickTime Pro (US$40 upgrade to QT Player) will also handle and Export from MP4 to DV-AVI.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How to import .mp4 file?
              jeffareid Level 1

> QuickTime Pro - mp4 to avi

The mp4 conversion in QuickTime Pro doesn't work, at least not reliably. It hasn't worked on any of the mp4 files I have.

• 4. Re: How to import .mp4 file?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Could your system not have the CODEC used in these MP4 files? Do they play in QT Player? Hit Ctrl-j to bring up the QT Player's Properties panel. What info does it give you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: How to import .mp4 file?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Another, and possibly related issue, where did these particular MP4 files come from? How did you get them onto your computer? If from a camera, please list the full make, model and any specs that you have on its files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How to import .mp4 file?
                    jeffareid Level 1

>where did these particular MP4 files come from?

YouTube download via this script (save as a "favorite"):

javascript:if(document.location.href.match(/http:\/\/[a-zA-Z\.]*youtube\.com\/watch/)){doc ument.location.href='http://www.youtube.com/get_video?fmt='+(isHDAvailable?'22':'18')+'&video_id='+swfArgs['vid eo_id']+'&t='+swfArgs['t']}

The last mp4 I tried might have been buggy. I was able to use QuickTime to export .MOV file by skipping the first second of video. Still couldn't get QuickTime to output a raw AVI file, but it's not a big deal. The only reason for youtube conversion would be to combine videos, as I can just view the MP4 versions.

I do like the multi-track aspect of Premiere, and I use it to make videos from racing games:

http://jeffareid.net/gte/gtebhf3k.wmv

http://jeffareid.net/nfs8/n8url.wmv

• 7. Re: How to import .mp4 file?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Just a guess here, but you might have better luck using one of the services to provide YouTube videos, than the Javascript. Many are free and others have demos. You can often specify the file formats with some. I do not have any particular recommendations on services, but you might want to post to Muvipix. The "Community" (basically the fora) is free. There are more things available if you sign up for free, and then a ton of "stuff," if you subscribe. I'd post to the "Watercooler" area and ask for recs. on some of these services. I know that several subscribers there have used these with good results.

Good luck, and sorry that I can't offer direct help,

Hunt

• 8. Re: How to import .mp4 file?
                        jeffareid Level 1

> you might have better luck using one of the services to provide YouTube videos, than the Javascript.

The point of the script is to directly download videos from YouTube not upload them. Youtube converts uploaded videos into MP4 format. The script is used to download those MP4 videos insetad of viewing them as flash videos.

• 9. Re: How to import .mp4 file?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

These services are to download the files also, and in many different formats/CODEC's. Some of these might get you with a more editable format. Do not recall ever hearing of any that did DV-AVI, but other various formats are available.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: How to import .mp4 file?
                            jeffareid Level 1

> These services are to download the files also, and in many different formats/CODEC's.

I don't understand how. The files are stored as MP4 files at YouTube; how could you "download" a format different from the MP4 format the video is stored in at YouTube? The process I have is working, the problem I experiences was with a few initial frames of the video I downloaded, using another MP4 tool, it reported this error. Now I know what to look for if it happens again.

• 11. Re: How to import .mp4 file?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              I don't understand how. The files are stored as MP4 files at YouTube; how could you "download" a format different from the MP4 format the video is stored in at YouTube?

You'll have to ask this of the various services. I do not know. I do not use any, as I do not edit files from YouTube. Others, apparently do, and use these various services. Matter of fact, I try to avoid editing any material that is in a delivery format like the plague, or the swine flu. Quality always suffers more than I am comfortable with.

The process I have is working, the problem I experiences was with a few initial frames of the video I downloaded, using another MP4 tool, it reported this error. Now I know what to look for if it happens again.

So long as the process works, then I'd definitely use it. It's when it doesn't work, that you'd have to look for a cure. Again, I'm not sure what that cure would be, as I do not work with any material from YouTube. If a client wished for me to do so, and had full written approval and a release from the original producer, I'd tell them to get the original footage from that producer and we could edit it. That would certainly be a better path, and one that you might wish to explore. Besides covering all of the legal aspects, it would get you much closer to the "source."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: How to import .mp4 file?
                                RobFJ

Try switching the suffix from mp4 to m4v. That may solve it