13 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2009 2:00 PM by Mark A. Boyd RSS

Embedded videos do not play on Explorer?

LaoTzu1 Community Member

I have a site on a staging server located at http://www.wwwlan.com/CLT_11.

It's a site for martial art videos. I'm using the CS3 version of Dreamweaver.

I have embedded videos from Youtube and they work perfectly in Firefox, Netscape, Opera, Safari, but not Explorer.

When the pages were opened, I got prompts from dreamweaver to add a patch for Explorer and clicked OK.

Was this a mistake. What am I missing?

Thanks,

LaoTzu1

• 2. Re: Embedded videos do not play on Explorer?
          Mark A. Boyd Community Member

Try changing this:

<div id="video"><script type="text/javascript">
          AC_AX_RunContent( 'width','425','height','344','src','http://www.youtube.com/v/XUi7PgUgH2I&hl=en&fs=1','type','application/x-shockwave-flash','allowscriptaccess','always','allowfullscreen','true','movie','http://www.youtube.com/v/XUi7PgUgH2I&hl=en&fs=1' ); //end AC code
          </script><noscript><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XUi7PgUgH2I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XUi7PgUgH2I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></noscript></div>

to this:

<div id="video">
            <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XUi7PgUgH2I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XUi7PgUgH2I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
          </div>

--
          Mark A. Boyd
          Keep-On-Learnin' :-)

• 3. Re: Embedded videos do not play on Explorer?
            LaoTzu1 Community Member

Thanks for the reply, but no solution.

• 4. Re: Embedded videos do not play on Explorer?

Are you sure? It worked for me in IE7 and FF 3.0.10.

Your page still has the same code as far as I can tell (and it has 10 closing </div> tags for 9 opening <div> tags).

CLT_11.png

--
              Mark A. Boyd

• 5. Re: Embedded videos do not play on Explorer?
                LaoTzu1 Community Member

didn't mean to be glib.

I'm on a mac running OS10.4.11

IE only goes up to 5.2.3 for mac so it's difficult to test.

I load up and call a friend to look.

Thanks fpr your time

• 6. Re: Embedded videos do not play on Explorer?

didn't mean to be glib.

No problem. I didn't take it that way.

IE only goes up to 5.2.3 for mac so it's difficult to test.

No doubt. I don't think anybody outside developers use IE on Macs anymore. And that version is sooooo old. This particular problem would not be one where browsershots.org would be of any help, either. I don't have a Mac, but there are a number of ways to run various Windows versions of IE on a Mac. Not sure which to recommend, but google or altavista.com come up with lots of hits for ie on mac.

Just hang in there, we'll get you there. Basically, all I did was to replace your code with the exact copy/paste as supplied by Youtube. For some reason, there was some DW-specific code in your page.

--
                  Mark A. Boyd
                  If you are reading this via email, be aware that it may not be an accurate representation of my message. Login to read the actual message and/or to reply.

• 7. Re: Embedded videos do not play on Explorer?
                    LaoTzu1 Community Member

Mark,

I didn't change the code yet.

Are you able to view it in IE7 without the change?

What version of IE are you running?

My wife's on a PC running IE7.0.6001 and she got the blank window with the liitle "X"?

My daughter 's Blackberry viewed the video on my Youtube sight fine, but could not view them on this website.

All the other browsers: Firefox, Opera, Safari, Netscape run smooth as silk.

I can take out the extra div, but that shouldn't have an effect it, correct?

I ran a browser compatibility check in Dreamweaver CS3 on the home page that you sent back and got the following results:

Line 6- found one error in external CSS file --This was Dreamwaver's result in the " support window pane":Found 1 errors in external css files

Affects: Firefox 1.5; Internet Explorer 6.0, 7.0; Internet Explorer for Macintosh 5.2; Netscape 8.0; Opera 8.0, 9.0; Safari 2.0

The red, which was underlined,  is the template document from dreamweaver? The code is: <link href="oneColFixCtrHdr.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

Line 11- unsupported property: overflow-y---This code was added to prevent the page body shifting when there was no scroll bar in the browser window. It corrected the artifact on all pages. This was Dreamwaver's result in the " support window pane" unsupported property: overflow-y

:Affects: Firefox 1.5; Internet Explorer for Macintosh 5.2; Netscape 8.0; Opera 8.0, 9.0; Safari 2.0

Line 83- the disappearing text background bug--Found 1 errors in external css files. This was Dreamwaver's result in the " support window pane":When list items have background colors or images, and the list is placed within a floated, relatively-positioned container, the backgrounds may not render as specified.
                    Affects: Internet Explorer 6.0
                    Likelihood: Likely

Line 112- Three pixel text jog--This was Dreamwaver's result in the " support window pane": When anonymous line boxes (boxes that contain inline content) are adjacent to a float, a 3px gap appears between the line box and the edge of the float. This gap disappears when the content clears the float, causing the content to "jog" three pixels in the direction of the float. Note that the gap may be difficult to see when left-aligned text is adjacent to a right float, but it does exist -- and it can lead to "float drop" in tight layouts.

Affects: Internet Explorer 6.0
                    Likelihood: Likely

Does any of this info help?

Thanks,

v

• 8. Re: Embedded videos do not play on Explorer?

Use this page for validating CSS (W3C is the authority to trust)
                      http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

Use this page to validate HTML
                      http://validator.w3.org

You should be able to safely ignore the errors in the Youtube code for this page.

Please read my reply again. http://forums.adobe.com/message/1985242#1985242 I did not delete your div, but I replaced it. (Lines 109-111).

The extra closing </div> tag you have is on line 118 (at least that's where it was yesterday).

Try replacing everything from your video div to the bottom of the page with this:

<div id="video">
                            <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XUi7PgUgH2I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XUi7PgUgH2I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
                            </div>
                            <p align="center" class="style18">Unsolicted Customer Comments</p>
                            <p><span class="style11">&quot;China's Living Treasures is the best tape series on martial arts and on one of China's greatest contributions to the world and the human race. Thank you for your dilligent efforts in this regards.&quot; - </span><span class="style13">D.H. - Virginia<br /></span>
                              <span class="style11">&quot;Thank you very much for your prompt response and processing of the order. I've never been dissapointed when dealing with China's Living Treasures videos, Thanks again and keep up the good quality&quot; - </span><span class="style13">H.M. - Ohio.<br /></span>
                            <span class="style11">&quot;The taiji fundamentals videos I received recently are great!&quot; - </span><span class="style13">V.B. - Vermont</span></p>
                              <p><span class="style11">&quot;Great resource!&quot;</span><span class="style13"> K.K - California</span><br /></p>

<div class="style2" id="footer1">
                                <div align="center">copyright 1985-2009 - One Hand Video - all rights reserved</div>
                              </div>
                            <!-- end #mainContent --></div>

<!-- end #container --></div>
                          <script type="text/javascript">
                            <!--
                            var MenuBar1 = new Spry.Widget.MenuBar("MenuBar1", {imgDown:"SpryAssets/SpryMenuBarDownHover.gif", imgRight:"SpryAssets/SpryMenuBarRightHover.gif"});
                            //-->
                          </script>
                        </body>
                      </html>

--
                      Mark A. Boyd
                      If you are reading this via email, be aware that it may not be an accurate representation of my message. Login to read the actual message and/or to reply.

• 9. Re: Embedded videos do not play on Explorer?

Sorry. I forgot to answer your questions.

I didn't change the code yet.

That explains why nothing has improved

Are you able to view it in IE7 without the change?

No. I see what your wife sees.

What version of IE are you running?

IE 7.0.5730.11 running on Win XP Pro SP3.

--
                        Mark A. Boyd

• 10. Re: Embedded videos do not play on Explorer?
                          LaoTzu1 Community Member

MARK,

The code worked and can be viewed in IE7. It also didn't seem to have any negative impact in all the other browsers.

I also used your second code entry.

I made another change and added the comments to the video div.

I think the layout is improved with the text centered below.

One more question. I have 51 other videos on the site.

Is there anyway to streamline the process of changing them?

Also, would you like a title from the series for your aid?

lao

• 11. Re: Embedded videos do not play on Explorer?

I do like the text below, but I personally would use left-justified text on your home page - as you have for the other pages I visited. Just a personal preference, though.

It may be a little late (looks like you've either finished or made good head way), but I would probably use a database, then use one or more dynamic pages. A database would make it easier to add/delete titles and, if done properly, you wouldn't even need to edit some pages, like the Store page. The code would dynamically pull information from the database to display on the pages. It would also be used to provide dynamic links/pages for the More Info on the store page.

Thanks for the offer, but as interesting as I find the subject, it would likely be wasted on me.

Oh. I just noticed that View Cart and Add to Cart are broken on some of your pages - including the store.

--
                            Mark A. Boyd

• 12. Re: Embedded videos do not play on Explorer?
                              LaoTzu1 Community Member

M,

The view and add buttons are broken because this is a staging server with no store back end. The old frame based site is still on the server at http://www.onehand.com. I spoke to the host and tech said they wouldn't be functioning properly until on that server. The front end code is correct on them, however. (I think).

I don't have the technical knowledge to do the dynamic data base yet. I only just learned this program in the last 2 months and I'm working by myself, no IT dept. I was a GoLive devotee, even when it was Cyberstudio(before they were bought by Adobe.) I'm coming from a graphic background, no tech side. It's been a difficult transition for me to have to deal with so much code work. It's sinking in VERY slowly. I felt forced to learn Dreamweaver because of Adobe's decision to yank golive.

I'm plowing ahead to the next 51 videos. I'll also run the pages by the URL's you sent earlier. That will be the final process before replacing the old site. I spent the past year digitizing the entire series for DVD's from analog. This will be a relaunch of the series.

On the offer for a free title, meditation requires no prior skills, just some time allocated. Of all the tiles probably vol 26 is the easist to master quickly. check it out.
                              Thanks,
                              v

PS
                              What does the caveat after your name mean by"not accurate?--Just curious.

• 13. Re: Embedded videos do not play on Explorer?

I don't have the technical knowledge to do the dynamic data base yet. I only just learned this program in the last 2 months and I'm working by myself, no IT dept. I was a GoLive devotee, even when it was Cyberstudio(before they were bought by Adobe.) I'm coming from a graphic background, no tech side. It's been a difficult transition for me to have to deal with so much code work. It's sinking in VERY slowly. I felt forced to learn Dreamweaver because of Adobe's decision to yank golive.

Good for you, Lao! You will not regret learning the technology used by the Web rather than just the tools themselves. HTML and CSS are what define a Web page, not GoLive or Dreamweaver.

What does the caveat after your name mean by"not accurate?--Just curious.

The email system is a bit broken in this system so far. Especially in some forums where a different kind of code is posted. And email replies with code in them are seriously broken. They are working on improvements, but meantime I am including that in my sig - specifically to help counter the footer included in the email notifications.

Additionally, if I edit a message in the Web interface, the edited message does not get re-sent via email.

--
                                Mark A. Boyd

Message was edited by: Mark A. Boyd