10 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2009 7:22 PM by the_wine_snob

MP4 unsynchronized video and sound in PREL 7

valtergur Level 1

Hello

I'm making a video based in some MP4 clips, recorded with my Sanyo videocamera. Although PREL7 import the clips without problems, the sound is heavily unsynchronized from the video. This isn't a simple timeline or preview problem, because the unsynchronized issue is also present at the rendered movie. I thought that it was a camera problem, but when I play the MP4 clips in QuickTime player, the result is perfect, and the sound and video are perfectly synch.

I tried to export the MP4 to another format with Adobe Media Encoder, but the problem remains.

Any idea how to fix it will be greatly welcome

Thanks

Valter-Brazil

• 1. Re: MP4 unsynchronized video and sound in PREL 7
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Lots of things depend on lots of things, Valter.

Is this MP4 video AVCHD video? What kind of camcorder did it come from and how did you get it into your computer?

What project settings did you use in your Premiere Elements project? Did you set it up for standard DV or AVCHD video?

Also, at what point is the sound out of sync with the video? When you're playing it in Premiere Elements or when you output a file or DVD from Premiere Elements?

• 2. Re: MP4 unsynchronized video and sound in PREL 7
            valtergur Level 1

Hi, Steve

Nice to chat with you again.

Well. let's go in parts

The clips are simple 640x480 MP4 videos, that was recorded in SD media. These clips was transferred to computer simply dragging it to the hard drive.

The project settings are the PREL default HDV 720p, since many 1280x720 still pictures will be inserted between the movie clips, and all the project will be render to a HD 720p MPEG file. Later, this MPEG file will be joined with others and will be burned in a Blu-Ray disc with Encore.

As I said, these clips is unsynchronized both in PREL timeline AND when I render it to the MPEG video.

Some 740x480 AVI files was imported in same PREL project and doesn't show any sync problem.

I did some tests with Adobe Media Encoder to convert these unsync clips in many other formats, and ALL of them remains unsync.

Please note that, when the unsync clip is played in QuickTime player, the video and sound is fine, so is logical to think that it's not a camera or record problem.

Thanks

Valter-Brazil

• 3. Re: MP4 unsynchronized video and sound in PREL 7

Ola, Valter!

I still can not tell from you posting if your video is AVCHD video and if your project is set up for AVCHD. These are critical issues.

Can you please tell me what model of camcorder you are using so that I can look up the specifications?

Eu ainda não pode dizer-se de você postar o vídeo for AVCHD vídeo e se o projeto é criado para AVCHD. Estas são questões críticas.

Posso dizer-me o modelo da câmara que você está usando para que eu possa olhar para cima as especificações?

• 4. Re: MP4 unsynchronized video and sound in PREL 7
                valtergur Level 1

Hi, Steve

Thanks for your kind attention.

The project is setup to 720p HD, with PREL defaults to 1208x720, 29.97fps in progressive mode.

The camera is a Sanyo Xacti model VPC-E1 (it's not a HD camera) and the movies was recorded in 640x480 MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, 30 fps SHQ. This is the best video settings in this camera.

Thank you again.

Valter

• 5. Re: MP4 unsynchronized video and sound in PREL 7

Thank you, Valter.

I understand now why you are having problems with this video. It is AVC video -- but not HD. Premiere Elements can not handle this codec.

It's possible the camera came with a program for converting your video to DV-AVIs.

If not, this one might work.

http://www.ojosoft.com/how-to-convert/mp4-to-avi-converter.html

• 6. Re: MP4 unsynchronized video and sound in PREL 7
                    valtergur Level 1

Steve:

Your solution works well, as always.

I did convert the clip to MOV file, using the export feature of QuickTime player (I have the Pro version), and this corrected the issue. This MOV file doesn't show the unsync sound problem in PREL.

The only drawback is that the converted file is much larger than the original MP4 file, and have a little less quality, but it's a minor glitch considering the big trouble of unsync sound.

Thank you very much.

Valter

• 7. Re: MP4 unsynchronized video and sound in PREL 7
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Valter,

Glad that you have the OOS issues under control.

Out of curiosity, what does QT show for the full Properties of your .MOV file? Ctrl-j will give you that info, when the file is loaded.

Since the MP4 H.264 CODEC is a good, albeit heavily compressed version, the file size difference is understandalbe. I'm just wondering what exactly is used for the .MOV.

One last thought, that might be worth trying: can you Export our of QT-Pro as an MP4 with the H.264 CODEC? I know, that's what you started with, but let me tell you a little story. I often have to convert some odd CODEC's to DV-AVI Type II files for use in PrPro. I've had instances where I had source files from the same exact camera. I'll batch process a bunch of these at one time. The vast majority will be perfect, when Imported into PrPro. However, I occassionally get 1 that is a rogue file. It'll Import fine, with one big exception - instead of the correct Duration, it'll only come in with a minute, or two, instead of say the 15 mins. that it should be. I have found that if I Import one of these rogue DV-AVI's into PE, and then Export it as a DV-AVI Type II, the exact same as what I Imported, PrPro can now see the full Duration. I have torn the two files apart, and cannot explain what the problem is with the rogue file. They spec out as being identical, but PrPro will just not "see" all of the Duration, until I run the file through PE. I've yet to find the "why." It just might be that QT Pro can "fix" your file, and save you having to go to .MOV.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: MP4 unsynchronized video and sound in PREL 7

Yes, Valter, DV-AVIs are very much larger than MP4s.That's kind of the nature of them. They're about 1 gigabyte for every 4 minutes of video.

Glad we found a workable solution regardless!

• 9. Re: MP4 unsynchronized video and sound in PREL 7
                          valtergur Level 1

the_wine_snob wrote:

Valter,

Glad that you have the OOS issues under control.

Out of curiosity, what does QT show for the full Properties of your .MOV file? Ctrl-j will give you that info, when the file is loaded.

Since the MP4 H.264 CODEC is a good, albeit heavily compressed version, the file size difference is understandalbe. I'm just wondering what exactly is used for the .MOV.

One last thought, that might be worth trying: can you Export our of QT-Pro as an MP4 with the H.264 CODEC? I know, that's what you started with, but let me tell you a little story. I often have to convert some odd CODEC's to DV-AVI Type II files for use in PrPro. I've had instances where I had source files from the same exact camera. I'll batch process a bunch of these at one time. The vast majority will be perfect, when Imported into PrPro. However, I occassionally get 1 that is a rogue file. It'll Import fine, with one big exception - instead of the correct Duration, it'll only come in with a minute, or two, instead of say the 15 mins. that it should be. I have found that if I Import one of these rogue DV-AVI's into PE, and then Export it as a DV-AVI Type II, the exact same as what I Imported, PrPro can now see the full Duration. I have torn the two files apart, and cannot explain what the problem is with the rogue file. They spec out as being identical, but PrPro will just not "see" all of the Duration, until I run the file through PE. I've yet to find the "why." It just might be that QT Pro can "fix" your file, and save you having to go to .MOV.

Good luck,

Hunt

Hello, Hunt

Nice to talk with you again. Your thoughts make sense.

I analyzed the original MP4 video in QuickTime Pro, using the command CTRL-J, and I verified their properties, as you suggested.
                          Then, I did the conversion to a new MP4 file, using the format H.264, and all other parameters the closest as possible of the original.

The result was great: a new MP4 file with exactly the same size of the original,  and an excellent quality, now totally synchronized when imported in PREL.

Analyzing the properties of these two files, the original and the "converted" one, I verify that both are practically identical, not having how to explaining, at first, why PREL presented the original file so unsynchronized.

The fact is that we learn every day a little more, including that "identical" files can be, in fact, "different".

Thank you very much

Valter

• 10. Re: MP4 unsynchronized video and sound in PREL 7
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Valter,

The best thing is that you now have Assets that work perfectly for you.

Sometimes, the "why" is much more difficult. I get a lot of odd formats and CODEC's from my clients. I use a main conversion program to handle getting everything into DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit Audio. Most work perfectly in PrPro. However, there are a few, that Import with a heavily truncated Duration. A file that has a 15:00:00 runtime, will come in as 02:00:00. Why? I do not know. They test exactly the same, as their "friends" and show the proper Duration, but PrPro gets this wrong. I have found that if I Import these same files into PE, the Duration is now correct. I just Export as a DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit Audio (yes, the exact same specs. that the files were in already), and these files, processed by PE are now perfect. I have never found even the tiniest difference in the file that I Imported into PE, and the one that I Exported from PE. I only know that now PrPro is happy, and works perfectly. Maybe some day, someone will explain the difference, but so far, I cannot find it.

A poster on the PrPro forum, Ann Bens, summed it up with, "sometimes Premiere works in mysterious ways." I have to agree.

Good luck,

Hunt