10 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2009 4:15 PM by Amusedd

Premiere Pro CS4 Codec Recognition

Amusedd

I know this has been posted before, however no one ever got to the bottom of this. But here is the issue again: Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 isn't able to recognize the MJPEG codecs that I've bought and installed on my computer. I'm only given a choice of the codecs that Came with Adobe (which ultimately isn't really ideal at all).

Has there been a solution to this problem since March? (which the last thread was posted).

If you still don't understand the problem heres what happens:

Open new project > Select Desktop as editing mode > In Video Preview, there only appears to be the list of codecs that came with Adobe:

Problem Picture.png

This problem is past quite annoying, I can't get any work done because of the (MASSIVE) rendering times.

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Codec Recognition
          the_wine_snob Level 9

With many other users, both of the Morgan and the MainConcept MJPEG CODEC's have worked fine in CS4. You might want to look at some of the threads with Nikon D90 in them, as this is a newly common camera using the MJPEG CODEC. Maybe mention will be made on how they got them to function and be recognized by PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Codec Recognition
            Amusedd Level 1

Thanks for the response (I didn't expect it this fast actually). I'll look into it, by the way the codec im using is PICVIDEO M-jpeg 4. (Which I think is quite popular amongst editors). And heres the original thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/387664

Perhaps I'll try out the MainConcept and Morgan codecs.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Codec Recognition
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Not familiar with that MJPEG CODEC. The two that I mentioned were ones that seemed to work for others. I do not shoot any MJPEG material, so I've not used either. IIRC, one poster some time back, had an issue with the Morgan and declared that it did not work in CS4. However, several have posted that it was perfect for them - don't know what to make of that.

Anyway, good luck.

Hunt

PS I'd try the Morgan first, as I think it is freeware (or less-expensive than the MainConcept). However, I also think that MainConcept CODEC has a trial.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Codec Recognition
                Amusedd Level 1

Adobe Still does not recognize either of the mjpeg codecs. In fact it does not recognize my Lagarith codec as well, I'm starting to think that this isn't a codec problem rather a problem with Adobe recognizing other codecs.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Codec Recognition
                  Amusedd Level 1

Just another note: AME recognizes the codecs perfectly, all the MJPEG codecs (mainconcept, morgan, picvideo) and my Lagarith codecs, its just Adobe PPro that isn't able to.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Codec Recognition
                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Pr recognizes the codecs, just not for use as preview files.  Bug reports have been filed, but the possibility exists that this behavior may be by design.

My advice is to use I-frame only MPEG, and skip Microsoft AVI as the format for your sequence preview files, especially at the odd frame size you are using for your sequence.

-Jeff

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Codec Recognition
                      Amusedd Level 1

So this is a decision made by Adobe? Thats kind of odd but anyways, Ill probably use I-frame as i've tested it out before and it delivers incredible speeds for previews as well. Thank you.

However this brings me to my next question, why is it some people are able to view and use third party codecs in Pro?

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Codec Recognition

Amusedd wrote:

So this is a decision made by Adobe? Thats kind of odd but anyways, Ill probably use I-frame as i've tested it out before and it delivers incredible speeds for previews as well. Thank you.

However this brings me to my next question, why is it some people are able to view and use third party codecs in Pro?

I didn't say it was an Adobe decision - I only put forth the possibility that it might be.  Remember we are talking about preview files here.  These are the files that make the red render bar go away when you press the Enter key.  They are temporary and can be easily re-generated if necessary.  They have nothing to do with your final export, unless you tell Pr and the AME to use those files instead of the original source video.  I can imagine a scenario where the Pr engineers would want to severely limit the codecs that could be used for those files.

So the third party codecs are all available to you for export.  The export settings dialog in Pr is part of Pr, even though it looks exactly the same as the settings dialog in the AME.

-Jeff

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Codec Recognition
                          Amusedd Level 1

I understand where your going with the Codec limitation. And yes we are talking about making the red bar go away. Anyways I-frame is doing fine for me right now, thanks for the suggestion!

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 Codec Recognition

Glad it worked for you - and thanks for reporting back that it did work OK.

-Jeff