8 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2009 11:56 PM by Powered by Design

OPINIONS PLEASE - Is my computer to slow to edit HDV in Premier Pro CS4 ?

Powered by Design Level 4
      Got the system new in 2005
      Dell XPS
      Windows XP
      Media Center Edition
      Version 2002
      Service Pack 3
      Dual Core Pentium 4 CPU 3.4 GHz
      3 GB of RAM
      NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT  1024MB
      I just put a new hard drive in and did a fresh install of windows XP so the system is clean.
      When I play SD clip in the preview window my CPU Usage in the Task Manager reads 50-60%
      When I play a HDV clip the CPU Usage pegs out at 100%
      Is there any tweaks I can make to edit HDV or do I need a new computer ?
      Any other options of hardware add-ons I could get ?
        • 1. Re: OPINIONS PLEASE - Is my computer to slow to edit HDV in Premier Pro CS4 ?
          don solomon Level 1

What resolution HD?

Off hand, I suspect that you are underpowered to do HD optimally.  Surely, as you realize, you can't do anything optimally with the CPU at 100%.

Have you got all your drivers up to date, especially video.  Have you checked all the background processes to see if you have stuff running you don't need while editing?  Have you checked you disk usage--what disks do you have.  More information would possibly be helpful.

• 2. Re: OPINIONS PLEASE - Is my computer to slow to edit HDV in Premier Pro CS4 ?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

For HDV you are at the lower end of the performance spectrum. For AVCHD it is not enough. Your system was top-of-the-bill in 2005 but 'progress' has overtaken you. BTW, do you have only 1 physical disk? If so, get at least 2 other disks to supplement that. That will be more beneficial in the short term and less costly than getting a new computer. Eventually you need to get a new computer, look here for hints:

How to get the best from a PC

• 3. Re: OPINIONS PLEASE - Is my computer to slow to edit HDV in Premier Pro CS4 ?
              Powered by Design Level 4

I have all drivers up to date Don.

The HDV is 1440x1080 at 60i

Video shot on:

Sony HVR-Z1U & HDR-FX1

I have 3 hard drives inside.

I run premiere on the C: drive - 1TB  895MB free space

the scratch disk on the D: drive

and the project on the E: drive

I import it into Premiere from my camera with the capture video inside premiere.

When I watch the file with QuickTime outside of Premiere it plays great.  My CPU process only goes to 50-60%

Is there a reason why it can capture it without dropping any frames but cant play it ?

Premiere saves the file in a .mov format MPEG2

Allot of great info in that article Harm.

Thanks for the info:  Glenn

• 4. Re: OPINIONS PLEASE - Is my computer to slow to edit HDV in Premier Pro CS4 ?
                Kroycom Level 1

I'd be surprised if you have a Dual Core Pentium as those didn't come out until after 2005.

So that leaves you with the regular (single core) Pentium 4.

With that considered, as was said here before, your system is kinda pushing it for HDV however you should be able to edit on it.

Make sure all antivirus is shut down, no iTunes or any other non essential software is running either.

If you use any effects (like Fast Color Corrector or the even slower other color correctors) you'll be

crawling, that's for sure.

There are always some tweaks you can do to make things a bit faster but to really see major

improvements you'll have to get a computer with faster chips (Core2/Core i7). And of course

going to a 64 bit OS lets you use more than 3 Gb of memory, which will make a big difference as well.

• 5. Re: OPINIONS PLEASE - Is my computer to slow to edit HDV in Premier Pro CS4 ?
                  LpGrumpy Level 1

I would say yes, you are under powered. I built a system based on a DuoCore 2 two years ago and it was extremely marginal. I had Win XP Pro, 4 Gig (only 3 do you any good), lots of fast HD and a reasonably good video card.

This year I built a new system with the following:

i7 - 920 ($229)

12 Gig Tri-channel (2 x $89)

ASUS P6T motherboard ($229)

Vista Ultimate 64 bit (Win 7 to come

soon. Release Candidate is getting rave

reviews and you can use it for almost

a year for free!) ($189)

Premeire Pro CS4 (64 bit, of course.

I also took the opportunity to indulge in

the CS4 Production Premium Suite. Much

cheaper than upgrading everything individually.)

Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 video card.

Lots of fast HD.

Premiere Pro CS4 processes AVCHD flawlessly on this system. Not bad considering that I paid $400 for the DuoCore 2 ($600 retail).

Lp

• 6. Re: OPINIONS PLEASE - Is my computer to slow to edit HDV in Premier Pro CS4 ?