9 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2009 3:51 PM by John T Smith

h.264 encoder (in cs3) produces really bad aliasing from AVI MJpeg source

Jason Mongue

I have many 640x480 mjpg avi files from a Canon Powershot camera that I put in a 640x360 project.  I keep the vids at 100% scale and just leave them cropped top and bottom.

What I find interesting is that when I encode my project out using h.264 (keeping the same 640x360, square pixels, ridiculously high bitrates, etc etc) I great really terrible aliasing.  If I use MPEG2 (with basically the same settings, though obviously much lower bitrate), it looks fantastic and quite similar to my original videos.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why this is?  Is there some secret setting in h.264 that I'm missing?

My project settings are:
      Timebase: 30.00 frames/second
      Frame size: 640x360
      Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square Pixels (1.0
      Fields: No Fields (Progressive Scan)

The AVI files show these properties in Premiere:
      Type: AVI Movie
      File Size: 50.4 MB
      Image Size: 640 x 480
      Pixel Depth: 640
      Frame Rate: 30.00
      Source Audio Format: 11024 Hz - 8 bit - Mono
      Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Mono
      Total Duration: 00:00:28:05
      Average Data Rate: 1.8 MB / second
      Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

• 1. Re: h.264 encoder (in cs3) produces really bad aliasing from AVI MJpeg source
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't use MJPEG files... but I have read many, MANY messages here about problems with that codec

I think the "general" solution is in the software codec loaded... I've seen "Morgan" mentioned, but didn't make any detailed notes

Hopefully, someone will come along with more information about what works best with that codec

• 2. Re: h.264 encoder (in cs3) produces really bad aliasing from AVI MJpeg source
            the_wine_snob Level 9

The two that I see most often recommended are the Morgan (mentioned above) and the MainConcept. Both seem to work fine, though one poster had issues with the Morgan - others had no such issues.

As the new Nikon D90 uses MJPEG, it might be worthwhile doing a Search for that camera on ALL of the Premiere fora, including the PrElements forum. While there might be differences between the Nikon MJPEG and the Canon MJPEG files, discussion on the Nikon's will yield a lot of info, 'cause it's new and "hot." Some of that info might well help in the case of the Canon.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: h.264 encoder (in cs3) produces really bad aliasing from AVI MJpeg source
              Jason Mongue Level 1

Thanks!

I just saw a post on another forum where someone recommended using Quicktime (with the h.264 codec).  I gave it a try (same settings) and it works fantastically, with no appreciable increase in aliasing from the original source.

Too bad the H.264 encoding (mine is showing "MainConcept H.264 Video) does that with that particular source.  What's interesting is that most of the footage I've been working with lately is 1080p avchds (upshifted) and I've never noticed any problems using the h.264 codec before.

It's a shame because I use a ps3 for playing these homegrown vids and I'll have to jump through some hoops to re-wrap this video/audio so it'll play on the ps3.  The ps3 doesn't play quicktime.. yet.

Thanks all!

• 4. Re: h.264 encoder (in cs3) produces really bad aliasing from AVI MJpeg source
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Jason,

That's great news. I normally recommend QT Pro for almost anything with H.264. Last three times that I did, however, the posters shot back with "I don't plan on spending $40 for the Pro version. Tell me something that helps me for free, or shut up... " After a few times of this, I'm a bit gun-shy at recommending anything that is not totally freeware.

Thanks for posting,

Hunt

• 5. Re: h.264 encoder (in cs3) produces really bad aliasing from AVI MJpeg source

>Tell me something that helps me for free

I like free as much as the next guy... but it seems, from some of the attitudes I've read in various forums, that some people feel "entitled" to free software

A few Billion ticks of the computer clock ago, I wrote a specialty database application (dBase III compiled by Clipper... way back pre-history in Dos days) and cast it out upon the Shareware waters

As a bonus for registering, I had a version with additional reports... and was amazed at the GALL of people who would write in wanting more reports... and who had never sent in a registration fee

I finally gave up on Shareware... but I'm still amazed at people who want something for nothing

• 6. Re: h.264 encoder (in cs3) produces really bad aliasing from AVI MJpeg source

John T Smith wrote:

>Tell me something that helps me for free

I like free as much as the next guy... but it seems, from some of the attitudes I've read in various forums, that some people feel "entitled" to free software

A few Billion ticks of the computer clock ago, I wrote a specialty database application (dBase III compiled by Clipper... way back pre-history in Dos days) and cast it out upon the Shareware waters

As a bonus for registering, I had a version with additional reports... and was amazed at the GALL of people who would write in wanting more reports... and who had never sent in a registration fee

I finally gave up on Shareware... but I'm still amazed at people who want something for nothing

I had to chuckle at the email I received this morning... see below

Hunt has been around a long time, and we've given advice in the same message many times, so I'm sure he knew that I was simply adding a comment to what he said about being wary about giving software advice

But... someone seems to be upset by me saying some people have an "attitude" about wanting free software

"Hello,

Though the content you posted was reported for abuse, it has been approved by our moderators:"

• 7. Re: h.264 encoder (in cs3) produces really bad aliasing from AVI MJpeg source
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes John, I encounter similar. That's why I have begun to shy from making any rec. for something that is freeware. Since I usually have the shareware equivilent, and these work perfectly for me, I do not know the freeware programs. I try to post links to lists of these, but people often want the exact links, 'cause Google is too hard to use.

I use a particular conversion program, about US$50. Recently, I had recommended it on a forum. Mentioned that there was a trial available. The OP contacted me for direct support for the trail, because it was too hard to figure out. I mentioned that the company had a forum and offered free support with registration. I got back a nasty-gram saying that they only wanted to do the trial, get their Project done and then dump the program, so they did not want to have to search a forum for answers on how to use it, as they were never going to buy it... ! Wished 'em good luck, and pointed out that I was in another business besides providing free support for a progarm that they were only going to use, then delete. The nerve - but you knew that already.

Hunt, climbing off his little soapbox

• 8. Re: h.264 encoder (in cs3) produces really bad aliasing from AVI MJpeg source
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

That is just too funny, you abusive fella' you. Way to go MOD's.

Hunt

• 9. Re: h.264 encoder (in cs3) produces really bad aliasing from AVI MJpeg source

the_wine_snob wrote:

John,

That is just too funny, you abusive fella' you. Way to go MOD's.

Hunt

Until an old shoulder injury limited my time & enjoyment and I had to sell it, I used to ride a Harley... and participate in several discussion groups

Most were good, one (RecMotorcycleHarley Newsgroup) had periodic flame wars break out... I got involved in one, after I had been away for a couple years and came back and one of the "new" regulars took a dislike to anything I had to say

There was some very creative use of language there, for awhile... when I sold my ride, I quit posting

I don't get involved in the Mac-vs-Pc wars, or which editor or utility is best... I just post what I know, which sometimes consists of a link to something that has been discussed a lot in the forum, or given a good review in a computer magazine (and even then, I will usually add the caveat that it is not based on personal experience)

Oh well... to each his/her own

John