10 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2009 2:40 PM by the_wine_snob

Audio Codec Issue

SGarfiel01

There are a few .avi files in my collection and timeline that have been working normally but have suddenly gone offline; when I try to re-link them, it says "the selected file cannot be linked because its type (video) does not match the original file's type (audio and video)." I tried importing them again, but only the video appears, separate from audio (with the little film graphic without the megaphone graphic next to it). I looked up possible solutions to the problem; people said to use the program "GSpot" to analyze the codec of the file, and GSpot listed a bunch of files Premiere was supposedly missing. I looked in the Premiere CS3 folder, and the files that GSpot said were missing were still in the folder. Anyone know how I can reverse this issue? My .avi files were working fine before, so I'm hoping they can work again. Thanks!

-S

• 1. Re: Audio Codec Issue
          the_wine_snob Level 9

S,

Let's step back a bit in the process. In G-Spot, what were the specs of the Audio portions of these files? This could be a missing CODEC issue (more on this in a moment), or it could be that something might have changed, and now PrPro is not able to conform the Audio portion of these files, where it was once able to do so.

OK, let's talk about G-Spot (and Sherlock the CODEC Detective, plus maybe more). The "missing," or "broken" CODEC's issue is a false positive in 99.9% of the cases. It stems from the way that Adobe installs and registers the various CODEC's (usually the MainConcept ones). Adobe uses a special naming convention. Some have speculated that it is because of the licensing issues with the MainConcept MPEG CODEC's and the trial versions of PrPro. Do not know the reason, but the issue seems to stem from the "[Adobe]" part of the name.

Your method of replacing the Assets might be the best. There have been other Projects reported on, where similar has happened. Not sure what changes with these, but your problem is not the first of these. I'd guess that it's more about something on your system (and those of others) that has caused this. I do not recall CS3 having any specific problems like these. BTW, were any of these files on an external drive?

I could also see potential problems if the files' Audio might have been conformed (.CFA files) and those being lost somehow.

Good luck, and please let us know what G-Spot tells you, re: the Audio info,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Audio Codec Issue
            SGarfiel01 Level 1

Hey Hunt, thanks for responding.... here are the answers to your questions in relative order:

The codec for video is MP42, S-Mpeg 4 version 2; the codec for audio is 0x0055 MPEG-1 Layer 3, 44100Hz  96 kb/s tot , Joint Stereo. GSpot says that both of these codecs are installed.

What do you mean by "replacing my Assets"?

All of my files are viewable on Windows Media Player, just to add; the problem seems to be with Adobe and the system, not with the system and the files themselves.

And yes, these files are on an external hard drive.

Thanks,

-S

• 3. Re: Audio Codec Issue
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              The codec for video is MP42, S-Mpeg 4 version 2; the codec for audio is 0x0055 MPEG-1 Layer 3, 44100Hz  96 kb/s tot , Joint Stereo. GSpot says that both of these codecs are installed.

MPEG Audio can be troublesome, at best. The sampling rate will be converted to 48KHz at some point, and that is what I referred to with reference to the .CFA files. These are the conformed Audio files, from the conversion to 48KHz. It seems that they have been lost.

What do you mean by "replacing my Assets"?

In this case, your attempt to re-Link is not working, so you are Importing the "replacement" files for those Assets.

All of my files are viewable on Windows Media Player, just to add; the problem seems to be with Adobe and the system, not with the system and the files themselves.

Playing a file is vastly different, than editing them. There are many major differences between the two operations. Also, working with CODEC's is totally different in a player, than in an editor. Additionally, some players, like VLC have their own CODEC's.

And yes, these files are on an external hard drive.

Stop what you are doing. Do not touch a thing. Step back from the computer and DO NOT do a Save of your Project, yet. Save_As, or Save_As_a_Copy is OK. Just do NOT Save your Project.

The reason for this is that I want you to do something else first, and if you have your original Project file, as it was, you might save yourself some extra work.

With externals, a different drive letter is often assigned, depending on what else might be plugged in, and a given time. Your Project file is only an XML database of all of the links to all Assets and what you have done with them. When you Imported your MPEG files, one of the first things that happened was that the Audio was 'Conformed" to 48KHz and the .PEK (the Waveform Display) files were also created. Normally, if these are lost, PrPro will just do them over again. In your case, something could be getting in the way of that normal process.

If I caught you in time, before you did a Save over your old Project file, I want you to do a Save_As_a_Copy, and locate this new file on an internal drive, as a backup. Now, Open your [Project Name].PRPROJ file in WordPad. You'll have to do an extension change to "All Files," as it'll want look for its format, and not the PRPROJ extension. Now, search for one of your known Asset's name. Look in the line that the program finds. Note the drive letter name. Close out of WordPad.

Now, go into your OS's Disk Management module and change the drive letter to that which PrPro last saw the drive as. When using external HDD's, always go into the OS and make this setting permanent, so that each time that you plug it in, PrPro will see the same drive letter. If you swap the drive between computers you will need to do this in the OS on each computer.

I hope that PrPro will be able to find everything perfectly, when you have the possible drive letter issue corrected. Also, where do you have your Scratch Disks set to. Default is "Same As Project," and your case would put them on the external also.

Let me know how it goes and good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Audio Codec Issue
                SGarfiel01 Level 1

I got a big dip in my chest when I read about the saving part; I have already saved the project over the original.

The files that I use say that they're in .AVI format, not .MPEG.

Are you aware that I'm using a Windows machine?

.... what can I do now that I've saved over the original....? =\

• 5. Re: Audio Codec Issue
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, let's step back in time, if we can. In your Project folder hierarchy, you should have a sub-folder with a name like, AutoSave. Inside you should see five files with names like [Project Name]001.PRPROJ through [Project Name]005.PRPROJ. These files get overwritten too, as the AutoSave functions. Look at them in Windows Explorer (yes, figured that you were on Windows) and click on Time/Date. The reason for this is that ___.003 could be later than ____005. Note: you will have more, or less, if you changed the default settings. Look at the Time/Date and go back to the last, before your recent session. Copy it to another folder. Open that Project in PrPro and see where you were, when it was Saved. You want a Copy, as you want to maintain the last version, for your new Project file. This might get you to a point, before the drive letter change, but you might be missing some editing.

Once you've done the Copy and looked at it, you can do a Save_As_a_Copy, so you have it handy and segregated from the AutoSaves. I've done an article on the differences between the three Save versions, and will link to it, if it's still on the Adobe fora. Copies are good, and the files are relatively small, so having an extra is no big deal.

Now, see if you can correct any drive letter change, and then Open this Project file in PrPro. Did you still have the problems with your Assets? I hope not. If so, you can do the same with the next oldest AutoSave file, and try again.

Let me know how this works out.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Audio Codec Issue
                    SGarfiel01 Level 1

I will see how this works tomorrow; enjoy the holiday.

-S

• 7. Re: Audio Codec Issue
                      SGarfiel01 Level 1

I did everything you said: saved a copy of an older auto-save, opened it in WordPad, and looked at the drive letters; my external drive name is the same on there as it is now, and my .avi files are still offline even after opening the old save file. My external drive hasn't changed letter names in an extensively long time, and I'm doubtful of that being the reason why I cannot import these files with audio.

Also, I tried opening another project separate from this, and I still cannot import the .avi files with which I'm having trouble.

What should I do now?

• 8. Re: Audio Codec Issue
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

SGarfiel01 wrote:

Having .AVI on the end doesn't mean much... what is important is the CODEC inside the file (I could tell MSWord to save a file as myfile.avi - but that does not mean it would edit in Premiere)

MPEG4 is a viewing file, not meant to be edited... Premiere works best (for SD, Standard Definition) with DV AVI Type 2 video, with 48khz audio

You should find a tool (many are mentioned often on this forum) to convert your files into REAL avi... not compressed files with an avi tail

• 9. Re: Audio Codec Issue
                          SGarfiel01 Level 1

What vexes me the most is the fact that the files worked perfectly three days ago. Call me stubborn, but I want to see if I can revert back to how Premiere was working before the problem started, if at all possible, before I have to bother with a bunch of messy converters.

• 10. Re: Audio Codec Issue
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

If you do not get the results that you once had, with the Restore Point, I'd suggest doing a Repair Install from your CS3 discs. Since you have the programs installed, you should get the option to check which program(s) you want to install. Choose PrPro3.  Then, you should get the option to do a Repair Install and this will take a few moments to survey your installation. If the MainConcept MPEG CODEC's, or something else is corrupt, not properly registered, missing, etc., the Repair Installation should take care of this. Since the Adobe included MainConcept CODEC's are named in a particular way, many other methods of tracking down missing, broken or corrupt versions of these can prove to be a dead-end, or horribly time-consuming and labor intensive. The Repair Installation should take care of all of this for you.

I had to do this for most of my CS2 Production Studio suite, when I installed PrElements 4. It killed PrPro2, PS, Bridge, Encore and Illustrator. This from another Adobe program! It is possible, that if you installed anything (could even be a video player app.) that uses MPEG CODEC's, that the MainConcept ones were overwritten, or unregistered. Part of Adobe's reason for the naming convention is probably to keep this from happening, but it does anyway.

Also, there was a very recent post to the CS4 forum. A new poster, something like "TeddytheBear" [?], posted a CMD line script for re-registering CODEC's for Adobe. Do not recall all of the particulars. He/she also posted a CMD line script to the PrElements forum for quickly correcting the drive-letter problem, when it changes due to the order that drives are plugged in. I cannot vouch for either of these, as I have not used either. I also do not know this poster. Still, both posts are very recent (last 2 days), so you should be able to locate them just by looking at the profile on the posts. The screen name definitely has "bear" in it at the end.

Good luck,

Hunt