3 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2009 7:14 PM by OsakaWebbie

Cleanly correct upside down video?

OsakaWebbie Level 1

I filmed 40 minutes of aerial video by attached my camera to a trike ultralight the only way I could - hanging upside down.  At the time I figured that there would be a simple, fairly lossless way to right the video in my PPro CS3, but the only method I can find would be to put both the Horizontal Flip and Vertical Flip effects on the clip and make a new AVI file (I want it saved as archive footage for use in multiple projects).  Is there a better way?  Two flips seems like it would do more to the video quality than would be necessary to get the result I want, but...  If there is a way I'm not aware of to do it in the capture process somehow, I'm also happy to recapture it.

• 1. Re: Cleanly correct upside down video?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

There should not be a need to re-Capture. In the Set Effects for your Clip(s), look at Motion in the Effects Control Panel. When you twirl-down, you will see Rotation. This Effect will correct your Clip. If you have more than one Clips, apply it to the first, and then Rt-click on it, and choose Copy. Select all other Clips (Lasso them) and then Rt-click and Apply Attributes.

If you have other Effects that are common (the word "common" is important), then apply all of these, and do, as above. This will apply ALL Effects to the selected Clips. If you have Effects that you do not want in the rest, be careful, as you will Copy all of the Effects.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Cleanly correct upside down video?
            OsakaWebbie Level 1

Good point - I hadn't thought about using rotation - who knows why (senility?).  Motion does seem likely to be less invasive than adding effects that aren't already there - hopefully that is actually the case, and not just an impression.  Does anyone actually know how it would work under the hood, to know if this is a pretty clean way to do this?  Rotation at some odd angle would of course process the data massively, but does PPro know that it doesn't have to try so hard if the angle is 180 degrees?

(Whether anyone knows or not, I'll give Hunt's reply the "answer" points when the dust settles - I'm not familiar enough yet with the new forum system to know whether the thread will look "closed" if I do that now.)

• 3. Re: Cleanly correct upside down video?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, you could turn the camera upside down, when you capture... [Grin]. While any form of Motion will possibly compromise the output vs the original footage, if you have done the capture as DV-AVI, you will have much more degredation when you output to MPEG-2 for DVD.

I do not know of any function, in say AVISynth, with plug-ins, etc., that will yield perfect pixel for pixel results. Let's hold on, and see if someone has another take on this.

Good luck,

Hunt