9 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2009 2:05 PM by the_wine_snob

how to use Minnetonka Surcode to generate .Ac3 files in Premiere CS3

Edfu

Hello to all.

im new in adobe forums.

I have six mono audio files .wav, that they are already mixed in 5.1, I need to turn them into a AC3 file , to record a DVD in Encore, I have done some tests with Minnetonka Surcode to generate .Ac3 files in Premiere CS3 and the sound leaves a little distorted and not with good quality. I think that I am not doing it correctly.

Please could somebody give me some guide lines to make this process correctly?

thanks in advance

Edfu.

• 1. Re: how to use Minnetonka Surcode to generate .Ac3 files in Premiere CS3
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Welcome to the forums.

Have a look at the surround sound category.

You will also find links to many free tutorials in the PremiereProPedia that will quickly show you how things are done in Premiere Pro.

Cheers
          Eddie

• 2. Re: how to use Minnetonka Surcode to generate .Ac3 files in Premiere CS3
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Eddie's links are a great place to start with DD 5.1 SS. Mention will be made of the Audio Mixer Panel in PrPro. That is where your work will be done. There are some setting in the SurCode encoder, but most of those are for final tweaking of your Mix.

I've used the SurCode for some years, and have had great sounding Audio from it. The two biggest mistakes that I see folk makeing are with the Center and Bass settings in the Audio Mixer. They often pot up the Center inappropriately, and the Bass far too much, thinking that they'll get more "punch." This is usually where the distortion comes in - there and levels that are just flat too high. In very general terms, I mix for -3db max for the front channels and -6db max for the rear. In the SurCode settings, you'll see the -3db reduced gain for the rear channels. If you use that, then you might want to mix -3db for both the front and rear, and let SurCode handle the additional -3db attenuation.

Remember too, that you'll need to set up your Project for a 5.1 Master. Also, make sure that your Sequence setting is for a 5.1 Master.

Most of all, set up your editing suite for good 5.1 SS reproduction. You cannot mix Audio, if you cannot hear it properly.

I also highly recommend 5.1 Surround Sound Up and Running, by Tomlinson Holman, Focal Press ISBN 0-240-80383-3. This will give you the full background into SS and guide you in your mixing.

Below is a typical Audio Mixer Panel setup. Obviously, the Audio source material will direct me, this would be a good starting point. Listen carefully, as you mix.

Audio Mixer 5.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: how to use Minnetonka Surcode to generate .Ac3 files in Premiere CS3
              Edfu Level 1

Hi Eddie and Hunt,

thank very much you for your answer, I have exactly made the steps that are indicated in the tutorial, but the sound that leaves when finally I make the DVD in Encore is quite dirty, it sounds cleaner the estéreo track.

steps:

1._I have 6 mono .wav 24 bits 48 kHz files provided by a professional Hi-End studio 5.1

2._I create a project in Premiere CS3 with 5.1 audio settings, Import the 6 tracks,

3._I add the 6 audio tracks to the project. they have the exactly same size. L / R / C / LFE / RL / RR /

4._Export / MPEG2-DVD / disable video / ( Im only interested in the .Ac3 file) Codec: SurCode for Dolby .

5._ import the .Ac3 into Encore / add to the time line with my video clip, and Burn a DVD.

result = bad sound with distort and not clean.

please if you find any error on de steps described below tell me, im in a urgent project.

sorry for bad English

Thanks you for your support

Diego

• 4. Re: how to use Minnetonka Surcode to generate .Ac3 files in Premiere CS3
                Edfu Level 1

I add a screen shot of the project...

also when I listen the DVD in my 5,1 system  the channels left and right do not sound...

• 5. Re: how to use Minnetonka Surcode to generate .Ac3 files in Premiere CS3
                  Eddie Lotter Level 4

Is Encore transcoding the AC3 file that you use?

Cheers
                  Eddie

• 6. Re: how to use Minnetonka Surcode to generate .Ac3 files in Premiere CS3
                    Edfu Level 1

Hi Eddie,

Only the video track is transcoded, audio track is with the no transcode option.

Also I do not understand why channels L and R the do not sound. they only sound C / LFE / RL / RR

Thank you

Diego

• 7. Re: how to use Minnetonka Surcode to generate .Ac3 files in Premiere CS3
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Without also seeing your Audio Mixer Panel, I cannot make even a guess. Please include a screen-cap of that. That is the place that you mixing will be done.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: how to use Minnetonka Surcode to generate .Ac3 files in Premiere CS3
                        Edfu Level 1

Hi Hunt,

Sorry, I forget the audio panel.

what I want is that each track sounds exclusively in its channel, because it is already mixed in 5.1

Now Left and Right channel are ok. and the sound it is better.

thank you for your support

Cheers

Diego

• 9. Re: how to use Minnetonka Surcode to generate .Ac3 files in Premiere CS3
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for that screen-cap. I did not see anything wrong with those settings.

Glad that you are happier with the results. One last thing that we might want to check, would be the SurCode settings. Basically, 99% of that can be covered on the Export>AME>MPEG2-DVD Audio tab. If you have left these settings to their default, and also have not changed the defaults in the actual SurCode console, all should be about as good as you can get it. There are still a few things that might imporve your final mix, such as the 3db Surround Attenuation. I leave mine unchecked, and do this in the Audio Mixer Panel. Some mix to the normal there and then check the 3db Attenuation in the Export tab. The choice is yours. If you do have any additional questions, please add a screen-cap of this one tab. I promise that it'll be the last screen-cap I'll ever ask you for... [Grin]

I also check the Lowpass Filter, the Channel Bandwidth Lowpass Filter, the DC Filter, and the 90 Degree Phase Shift. Some also use Deemphasis, but I do not. It all depends on what one wants.

Good luck,

Hunt