7 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2009 3:55 PM by windowman

Making a PAL format DVD

windowman Level 1

I want to send some DVD footage that was shot in NTSC miniDV format to a friend in Australia to view on his PAL TV. Is it as simple as bringing the NTSC DV footage into my mpg converter and using the PAL settings there to make a DVD for him? Or do I need to convert the DV footage to PAL from Premiere during the export first? Doing the latter doesn't make much sense to me, but I've never done this before, so I thought I'd better ask someone who has first.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Making a PAL format DVD
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I'd just send him the current DVD and see what happens.  There's a good chance his PAL equipment wil play the NTSC disk.

• 2. Re: Making a PAL format DVD
            windowman Level 1

Really? I haven't been reading the trades much the past year or two and had no idea they were making set-top DVD players that would playback both NTSC and PAL now.

Edited to ask if maybe you thought I was referring to someone in Australia putting the DVD into their computer's DVD player? I realize those will generally playback anything, but this is for a regular TV DVD player--not a computer.

• 3. Re: Making a PAL format DVD
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Set top players in PAL countries ALSO play NTSC. Not just computer DVD players, but all DVD players.

• 4. Re: Making a PAL format DVD
                windowman Level 1

Thanks,

Is this true for older players too, or just more recent ones?

• 5. Re: Making a PAL format DVD
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

I live in PAL country and even on my oldest DVD player, a Panasonic DVD-A350 from before the turn of the century (IIRC) it plays NTSC without problems.

• 6. Re: Making a PAL format DVD
                    Dag Norum Level 2

When it comes to digital equipment, it should be no reason for not playing both PAL and NTSC (could be a programmed lock of course).

It is more about the TV-sets than the DVD-players. An analog PAL TV  can cope with NTSC signals quite fine as long as the right output from the player is used. In the days of VHS tape, that meant to use the RGB signals (if I remember right), if composite was used, NTSC tapes would be displayed in B/W. Nowadays when SCART cinnectors are used, it's not a problem anymore (for most people).

NTSC TV's (analog ones) has never been able to deal with the PAL sync frequencies, no matter what the players have been able to play.

Anyway, just do as Jim said, send the NTSC version, it would probably be better displayed in a PAL-land than whatever Premiere alone could be able to produce when it comes to NTSC to PAL conversion.

PS! Zone is another animal though, but I still haven't had a DVD set top player that I couldn't make zone-free.

Dag

• 7. Re: Making a PAL format DVD
                      windowman Level 1

Good answers all around.

Edited to say I've got all the info I need now after a little internet searching. Thanks to all.