5 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2009 4:23 AM by yenaphe

Splitting the timeline into two scenes

Static121

Let me explain, I spent the last week shooting a movie for an English project that's due on Tuesday. I gave myself two days for the editing, because it really shouldn't of been too hard. I still don't think it would've been hard at all if Canon hadn't ****** me over, and made it so i had to save a VRO file. So i spent half the night last night finding a program that could convert VRO into something i could import into after effects. I think I finally found something that converted it into a MPEG file.

But! When it converted, it compressed all 77 scenes i'd shot into one giant scene. And i didn't shoot in order. So after a bunch of trouble trying to separate the scenes, after 4 hours of not even being able to get it into after effects, i just gave up and went to bed. I really need help, this is the only major grade of the six weeks and if i fail it, I could go to summer school. Plus, i have six other people counting on me.

Also, i'd like to ask about audio. I think my problem is that Canon (I absolutely hate them after this) saved my audio as some sort of file that most programs cant read. And so, even though i got it into after effects, it cant read the audio. I've tried 0, and 'dot', and just about all the quickfixes i've seen. Does anyone have anything to say about this?

I'm sorry i typed such a long question, but i'd really appreciate any help you can give me.

• 1. Re: Splitting the timeline into two scenes
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You can "cut" layers by splitting them in the timeline. Ctrl+Shift+D is your friend. As an alternative, try Magnum, the Edit Detector, a free script. As for your audio issues - no clue, but certainly there must be some way to convert whatever you have to a WAV file that can be used in AE. Did you check it in an audio program? Also, regarding the conversions, there should definitley be some bundled up tool on a CD with your camera that might offer something usable.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Splitting the timeline into two scenes
            Static121 Level 1

Thank you very much!

I thought i was just having problems because i didnt know what to do with the files, but apparently, Canon completely disregarded the fact that VRO is a widely unaccepted format and failed to even mention it in the manual or include any sort of software. I wouldn't be mad at all if it was any other way.

Would you say Magnum is better for cutting?

EDIT: Alright well, i'm just about done dividing it. But now i've run into a problem. I don't know how to actually edit the footage. It looks like splitting the timeline just makes it easier to look at my scenes, but i can't actually move them around like I wanted to.

• 3. Re: Splitting the timeline into two scenes
              Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Static:

I seems like you're using one of those cameras which record on DVD or Mini-DVD, right?

If so, those cameras really are intended for point and shoot users. Not for people who intend to edit or post-produce their content.

True, the VRO format adds an extra layer of pain. But with other brands/models, you may still have to perform painful steps to convert the content into something you can use in a video application.

It's very likely that audio is muxed ("multiplexed"), ie it is not stored in a discrete audio track. You may need a "demuxer" application (there are a ton of free ones) to extract the audio. This may even have happened when you converted the VRO files to MPEG video, which is not really a great choice if you're converting for a content creation app.

Of course, this is all speculation.

Also, regarding the conversions, there should definitley be some bundled up tool on a CD with your camera that might offer something usable.

There should be. But from a quick search on Google, it seems many users are angry because there isn't

• 4. Re: Splitting the timeline into two scenes
                Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

.VOR is technically a variant of an MPEG file, and converting it to another flavour of MPEG may cause as many headaches as it cures.

Try using MPEG StreamClip to convert the .VOR files into an uncompressed AVI or a Quicktime (Animation Codec) file.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Splitting the timeline into two scenes
                  yenaphe Level 4

The other problem I see here is that you may not be using the right tool. After Effects is a really great for postproduction / motion design / visual effects, but it's not an editing tool.

You should really use an NLE (Non Linear Editing) software such as Premiere Pro. It will save you a lot of pain cutting / moving / editing / previewing your movie.

I know what's done is done, but i put it here for general advice, because you're not the first, and won't be the last, but before shooting with a camera, read the official specs online, google it to see what other thinks about it, so you are sure to select a camera that will give you compatible files with your software.

I bought the very first AVCHD Sony camera when it was released because i loved the idea of tapeless workflow. That was around the CS3 release. On the Avchd official site i saw an Adobe logo so i bought the camera without any further investigation. I had a hell of a time figuring out how to read/convert and finally import my files inside an NLE (even Sony Vegas wasn't support Avchd at that time...). So now i double check before buying a camera, because i don't want to go through that again. And i'm sure you will do that next time !

But don't lose hope, there is always a solution.