5 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2009 9:55 AM by the_wine_snob

Sound error problems

Yuiolpol

When I try to add media to the Adobe Premiere I clicked the file I want and get a "unsupported audo rate in file" message. It than closes and I am

not able to add the video. I do not know how to correct this or what is wrong.

• 1. Re: Sound error problems
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, read this all the way through http://forums.adobe.com/thread/437532?tstart=0

Next, work through the steps here http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of that link... For question #1 use the FREE http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

• 2. Re: Sound error problems
            Yuiolpol Level 1

Appreciatethe response. However this only confused me more. I am new to this software. I read through the previous post twice. What I got

from it was there is a problem with codec. First I have not idea what codec is. Also I am confused by the Gspot that was discussed. I have no

idea what that is. I looked all over the software and my files for any reference to Gspot. I was not able to find anything. I think my problem is different

because the one poster said they were able to get video but not sound. I am not able to get either. I think the problem is my media player.

I say that because I downloaded other shows to my old computer and burned them on disk. I tried importing showto premiere and it

uploaded no problem. So I burned one of the files that I downloaded from my new computer and tried with that disk and got the same error

message. On my old computer I used VLC media player. On my new computer I have Windows media player. That is where my downloads

go to when there done. So I beleive I need to do something with my files that are saved in Windows media player. I just do not know what.

• 3. Re: Sound error problems
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The first thing that I'd do would be to download and install the freeware program, G-Spot (I thought that was part of John's links?). Run your file through that. It will give you all of the info on both the Audio and Video. Depending on what it reports, you may need to convert your file to something that PE can handle.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Sound error problems
                Yuiolpol Level 1

Well I downloaded the Gspot program. I went into it and opened a file. I opened one of the files I cannot upload into my Premiere. When I do I get all the information

on the file under Container. I looked through the other sections on audio where it said codec. It gave 0x0055-MPEG-1lAYER3. Beside Infor it gave 4800Hz 128kb/s tot Joint Stereo LAME 3.96.  Under codec proposed solutions it provides a few lines of data. None of which I understand. So I have no idea if this did anything. As far as I'm concerned I do not think its a codec problem since I am able to watch and listen to all my downloaded files. I am just not able to upload them onto Premiere. So again I appreciate all the advice but I think I will have to investigate alone to figure out the problem.

• 5. Re: Sound error problems
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  It gave 0x0055-MPEG-1lAYER3. Beside Infor it gave 4800Hz 128kb/s tot Joint Stereo LAME 3.96

Is this correct, or is the sample-rate really 48000Hz (one more zero)?

You might want to look on the Audacity PAGE and see the link to the Lame Decoder.

Also, if you can attach a screen-cap of the G-Spot panel with one of these files in it, there might be other bits of info that would be important trying to troubleshoot the problem. Rememver too, there is a big difference in one being able to play a file and being able to edit the file.

While you are on the above link, you might want to download and install Audacity. It's a very good Audio editng freeware program. It can also allow one to change the sample-rate (the number with the "Hz" after it) and the bit-depth.

Good luck,

Hunt