8 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2009 4:34 PM by joshtownsend

Premiere CS4 is only encoding half of the audio

Ben_Mears Level 1

Ok, I'm basically stuck here.

I export my sequence from Premiere CS4 to Media Encoder and the final encoded video has audio for the first half but then abruptly cuts out and there's only silence after that.

The audio works and sounds fine in the Premiere project. It is mainly audio that was recorded with the video clips but there are also some unlinked music tracks as well. The video clips are a mix of .WMV, .MOV, and .AVI and the audio music clips are .WAVs. I'm currently working on a PC.

I tried re-encoding, restarting the computer and then re-encoding, and nesting the sequence within a new sequence and then re-encoding. The problem still persists though.

This problem is especially confusing because this is the third and final video to be exported from the project and the first two videos exported and encoded perfectly fine without any audio problems. The first two videos also contained a similar mix of video and audio formats.

So, I'm really confused and frustrated with this issue. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Were you able to fix it? Any ideas, solutions, or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

-Ben

• 1. Re: Premiere CS4 is only encoding half of the audio
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Does it always cut out at the same spot, or random locations?

• 2. Re: Premiere CS4 is only encoding half of the audio
            mickkeay Level 1

Hi Ben

Cant help you too much here - but I did have a similar problem in a project. I eventually had to keep rendering out parts of the project to try to track down the clip that was causing the audio  problem. I  also did a few "save as" and then unlinked the audio in certain clips and tried again. It was a mov file that caused my problem - I opened it in QT pro, re-saved it and it was then OK. But it later happened again so the fix was inconclusive -  until I updated AME with the last patch (which I assume you have already done)

• 3. Re: Premiere CS4 is only encoding half of the audio
              Ben_Mears Level 1

Thanks for the reply Jim. The audio doesn't cut out at the same point and it looks a bit random. The audio cuts out at 3:23 in one video and cuts out at 4:29 in the next so it would seem that it isn't related to a specific clip?

• 4. Re: Premiere CS4 is only encoding half of the audio
                Ben_Mears Level 1

Thanks for your suggestion mickkeay. I think your idea of searching for the specific problematic clip is a good one and that's what I'll probably start to do. When you experienced this problem did your audio cut out at the same point in each encode or would the sound cut out at different spots? It seems like it would be way easier to isolate the problem clip if the audio cut out at the same point each time (which is not the case for me, ha ha). Thanks for the idea though and hopefully it will help me out a bit.

Anybody have any other ideas, solutions, or suggestions?

• 5. Re: Premiere CS4 is only encoding half of the audio
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Ben,

Just to make sure I'm reading your post correctly, you say:

The audio cuts out at 3:23 in one video and cuts out at 4:29 in the next so it would seem that it isn't related to a specific clip?

I take this to mean that with the same Sequence, one Export will cut out at the 03:23:00 point, but the next time that your Export that exact same Sequence (no additional editing), it'll cut out at 04:29:00. Is that correct?

If you mean that one Sequence cuts out at 03:23:00 and another Sequence cuts out at 04:29:00, then look closely at those two points, or where ever the cut out is, in case those were just examples. One can have all sorts of reasons why a Clip might exhibit such behavior. You could have Keyframed something in the Audio (might be Clip Keyframes, or Track Keyframes - look at both). You can also have Bypass set to come in at those points. Lots of little nooks and crannies to check. I'd work with the Audio Track Display Modes and look very carefully at those points. Same for the Audio Mixer and the Effects Control Panel. Be sure to twirl-down everything related to Audio, as you don't want to miss a thing.

I find it hard, though not impossible, that AME is doing this, without a reason. While some have issues with it, "shear meaness" is not usually one of its characteristics.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere CS4 is only encoding half of the audio
                    Ben_Mears Level 1

Thanks for the message Hunt.

When I said that the audio cuts out at different times I was referring to exporting the same sequence with no editing. So, when the exact same sequence is exported multiple times the audio will cut out at different points for each exported video. This makes it really hard to pinpoint a specific clip.

Thanks for the ideas about where to look for the problem. I didn't really keyframe the audio at all but there were keyframes on some of the video clips. I was working with Effects a lot but mainly just for video color correction and transitions. I agree about there being a lot of nooks and crannies and it's pretty unfortunate that it has come to checking into all of those.

I agree that AME shouldn't be causing this problem out of "sheer meaness" but I am rather inclined to start referring to AME as the "Adobe Meaness Encoder", ha ha!

FIXED!! Ok, so I figured out a work around which is a little shoddy but seems to do the trick.

-Based on mickkeav's suggestion I updated AME with the 4.0.2 update. I don't know if this solved anything or not because I didn't do an export immediately after updating.

-I exported out the entire sound track from my final sequence as a .WAV and then replaced the original, problematic audio with that new .WAV file. This seemed to solve the problem because the sound now works fine and doesn't cut out at all. The audio still sounds as good as it did originally too.

An earlier, similar solution was to use Quicktime Pro to remove the existing, errored sound track from the video and then add the new and complete .WAV file but this increased the video's file size by 100 mb whereas encoding with the new .WAV track in AME did not increase the video file size at all.

Thanks for the help and hopefully nobody else runs into this problem!

-Ben

• 7. Re: Premiere CS4 is only encoding half of the audio
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

AME = Adobe Meaness Encoder. I think that some will quickly agree with you.

At least you have a workaround, and even a possible "fix" with the 4.0.2 update. If you get a moment, please do an Export from an older version of your Project (without the WAV replacement). Maybe grab an AutoSave and just copy it someplace safe for later. Would be interesting to see if the update (though 4.1 should hit soon) also fixed it.

Thanks for reporting and good luck with the rest of the Project,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere CS4 is only encoding half of the audio
                        joshtownsend Level 2

Did you try to export the audio seperate from the video?