13 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2009 11:35 AM by andy4quarts

Unable to increase Quicktime resolution encodes

andy4quarts

For some time now I have been able to (without fail) encode my PE project to real high bitrate Quicktime file. To trigger the "view in high quality" option on Facebook videos I have had to encode the files to about 7.0+ bitrate and in a .mov format. But, as of about a week ago, I am unable to encode anything higher than about 3.2 kbps regardless of how high of a setting I choose in the project encode settings.

Could there be some setting someplace that I inadvertantly have set to limit filesize or the bitrate of a encoded file? I have tried and tried different settings, formats, projects, etc. and still am unable to encode to anything like I used to. I even uninstalled and reinstalled PE 7.0 to see if something got corrupted in the program somehow. I'm not a MAC guy by any means, but .mov files in high-res are the only files that I can to trigger the HQ link for a standard def video. I've encoded Flash files (which I like better) as high as 10 mbps and still plays back on Facebook at the normal quality. These videos are projects for my church so I want them to look as good as I can get without having to upload the raw files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Andy Gallun

Stumped in WI

• 1. Re: Unable to increase Quicktime resolution encodes
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you got the latest update of Quicktime?

• 2. Re: Unable to increase Quicktime resolution encodes
            andy4quarts Level 1

Yup, that's one of the first things that I thought of. I checked and it's all up to date (along with Elements as well).

• 3. Re: Unable to increase Quicktime resolution encodes
              BedtymeBear Level 2
              cj4qts wrote:

For some time now I have been able to (without fail) encode my PE project to real high bitrate Quicktime file.

What exactly do you mean that you are unable to do so? Do you get an error? Is the setting not available?

If you're getting an error, please share so maybe we can figure out what's going on.

If you are getting an error, or for some other reason the encoding is not finishing, did you try telling Premiere Elements to save the file in a different location? (Like saving to your Desktop instead of the special "videos" folder that you have, for example.)

Also, are you doing the encoding by going to File > Export > Movie, or by going into the Share workspace > Personal Computer > QuickTime?

• 4. Re: Unable to increase Quicktime resolution encodes
                andy4quarts Level 1

There is no error message. But the status bar that moves from left to right as the video is being encoded moves along until there's about 6 minutes left in the encode, and then it stops. But the countdown timer (min-sec) keeps counting down when the bar stops. I don't believe it's ever done that before as I have encoded dozens and dozens of videos without ever noticing that stopping before so I can only assume that has something to do with it.

I have tried to save the file to different internal drives, the desktop, "My Docs" folder, external drives...all with still no luck.

I use the "Share" option. I have tried to save it using Export>Movie>Timeline> and so on, but am unable to get that to work properly either. I am unable to shrink the video to small enough size for upload when I try it that way. Those seem stay very large no matter how much I lower the bit rate.

It all seems very screwy!

• 5. Re: Unable to increase Quicktime resolution encodes
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you Export this Project to any other format/CODEC?

If so, perhaps Export as an AVI and then use QuickTime Pro to do your encoding to .MOV with the proper settings. Does this work?

If not, then you might want to calculate the "6 mins. left" relative to the Duration of your Timeline. What is happening at that point? Is anything out of the ordinary?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Unable to increase Quicktime resolution encodes
                    andy4quarts Level 1

Well I wasn't interested in buying QT pro. My point is why this has worked flawlessly for months and then all of a sudden stopped working properly? I am interested in finding out why, and then fixing that problem.

Nothing out of the ordinary happens at 6 min just the fact that the status bar stops moving. The video keeps encoding though as I have checked the filesize as the encode is happening and after the status bar stops, the file size keeps increasing.

When I have tried to export to a .wmv file the same thing happens, won't encode higher than about 3.2-3.4 kbps. Flash is fine & encodes fine, but that won't do me any good. (sigh)

• 7. Re: Unable to increase Quicktime resolution encodes
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, nothing happening at that point. What are the specs. on your hardrive(s)? What is the amount of free, defragmented space. The lack of this often causes an Export to do a "soft fail."

If it normally works, but does not now, and your Assets are perfect, then something has changed. Might well be a full HDD. Remember, PE needs much more HDD real estate, than just the size of the Exported file.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Unable to increase Quicktime resolution encodes

There are a number of free products that can produce MOV files from AVIs, including current favorite video convert, Prism.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

But that still doesn't get to the bottom of this mystery.

Can you try one more experiment? Instead of using the Share option, click to select the timeline and then go to File/Export/Movie. If you click on the Settings button, you'll be able to select a number of output options, including several types of Quicktime.

Meantime, you seem to imply that this problem is ongoing, and it's not unique to this particular video. Every video has this issue.

Can you think of any reason for this at all? Is there limited space on your hard drive? Are you exporting to an external drive that's formatted FAT32?

And one more thing: Try starting Premiere Elements while holding down your keyboard's left side Ctrl+Alt+Shift keys. This will clear any corruptions to the preferences files.

• 9. Re: Unable to increase Quicktime resolution encodes
                          andy4quarts Level 1

I just started a 2-hour render so when that is done it'll be late. Tomorrow first thing I will try and restart PE with the Ctrl+Alt+Shift keys & see if that helps. I forgot all about that! I must be loosing my mind-

I have tried to save this encode to a couple of different external & internal drives. To the drives that I have tried, they all have ample defragged space to store the file. In fact, I captured a 2-hour raw video non-stop to one of the drives earlier tonight and it was fine with no dropped frames. The external drives are all 500 or 640 WD Elements connected to USB 2.0 ports.

I tried opening up various projects and still the same problem so it isn't project specific.

Thanks for all of your help so far- I really appreciate it! I will keep you posted tomorrow once I try the restart.

• 10. Re: Unable to increase Quicktime resolution encodes
                            andy4quarts Level 1

OK...this is getting screwier by the day!

I tried opening up PE holding down shift-+ctrl+alt keys, and then tried to encode the video and it still won't encode higher than 3.2 kbps.

I exported the video using File>Export>Movie and no matter how high or low I slide the "Quality" bar under "settings", the video still shows it's 1.22 gigs, but the bit rate raises and lowers. The quality of the video clearly raises and lowers as well. I can clearly see it during playback.

**So you can see what I am talking about, I have coped and pasted the video file settings from a program I use called Mediainfo below:

This is from that video that I exported at 20%. It shows a filesize of 1.22 gigs, but the bit rate is only 1.091 kbps. It shows the video portion is 3min 19sec, and the audio portion is 1hr 52min. The entire timeline is prob 1hr 52min, but I have chosen to export ONLY the work area bar. When I play this exported video back in QT it is only 3 min 19 sec.

General
                            Complete name                    : C:\Documents and Settings\Andy\My Documents\OwensExport20.mov
                            Format                                : MPEG-4
                            Format profile                       : QuickTime
                            Codec ID                         : qt 
                            File size                             : 1.23 GiB
                            Duration                         : 1h 52mn
                            Overall bit rate                 : 1 569 Kbps
                            Encoded date                     : UTC 2009-05-26 14:28:03
                            Tagged date                      : UTC 2009-05-26 14:33:57
                                                                  : 01;48;45;20 / 30000 / 1001

Video
                            Format                           : AVC
                            Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
                            Format profile                   : Main@L3.0
                            Format settings, CABAC           : No
                            Format settings, ReFrames        : 2 frames
                            Codec ID                         : avc1
                            Codec ID/Info                    : Advanced Video Coding
                            Duration                         : 3mn 18s
                            Bit rate mode                    : Variable
                            Bit rate                         : 1 091 Kbps
                            Width                            : 640 pixels
                            Height                           : 480 pixels
                            Display aspect ratio             : 4/3
                            Frame rate mode                  : Variable
                            Frame rate                       : 29.387 fps
                            Minimum frame rate               : 0.256 fps
                            Maximum frame rate               : 29.970 fps
                            Resolution                       : 24 bits
                            Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0
                            Scan type                        : Progressive
                            Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.121
                            Stream size                      : 25.9 MiB (2%)

Audio
                            Format                           : PCM
                            Format settings, Endianness      : Little
                            Format settings, Sign            : Signed
                            Codec ID                         : sowt
                            Bit rate mode                    : Constant
                            Bit rate                         : 1 536 Kbps
                            Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
                            Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
                            Resolution                       : 16 bits
                            Stream size                      : 1.20 GiB (98%)

This below is from the same video, but exported at a quality of 10%. This shows a filesize of 1.22 gigs, but the video bitrate has lowered to .866 kbps. It shows the video length again at 3min 19sec, and the audio length at 1hr 52min.

General
                            Complete name                    : C:\Documents and Settings\Andy\My Documents\OwensExport10.mov
                            Format                           : MPEG-4
                            Format profile                   : QuickTime
                            Codec ID                         : qt 
                            File size                        : 1.22 GiB
                            Overall bit rate                 : 1 562 Kbps
                            Encoded date                     : UTC 2009-05-26 14:37:48
                            Tagged date                      : UTC 2009-05-26 14:43:27
                                                             : 01;48;45;20 / 30000 / 1001

Video
                            Format                           : AVC
                            Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
                            Format profile                   : Main@L3.0
                            Format settings, CABAC           : No
                            Format settings, ReFrames        : 2 frames
                            Codec ID                         : avc1
                            Codec ID/Info                    : Advanced Video Coding
                            Duration                         : 3mn 18s
                            Bit rate mode                    : Variable
                            Bit rate                         : 866 Kbps
                            Width                            : 640 pixels
                            Height                           : 480 pixels
                            Display aspect ratio             : 4/3
                            Frame rate mode                  : Variable
                            Frame rate                       : 29.387 fps
                            Minimum frame rate               : 0.256 fps
                            Maximum frame rate               : 29.970 fps
                            Resolution                       : 24 bits
                            Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0
                            Scan type                        : Progressive
                            Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.096
                            Stream size                      : 20.5 MiB (2%)

Audio
                            Format                           : PCM
                            Format settings, Endianness      : Little
                            Format settings, Sign            : Signed
                            Codec ID                         : sowt
                            Bit rate mode                    : Constant
                            Bit rate                         : 1 536 Kbps
                            Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
                            Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
                            Resolution                       : 16 bits
                            Stream size                      : 1.20 GiB (98%)

Although this seems to be a different problem than my earlier post, this adds to the screwiness of this whole situation. This shows the audio portion to be 98% of the filesize.

Any thoughts?

• 11. Re: Unable to increase Quicktime resolution encodes

There might well be more going on on your computer than we can resolve taking random guesses here on the forum.

It might be time to call Adobe Tech Support at the number listed in the FAQs to the right of this forum.

• 12. Re: Unable to increase Quicktime resolution encodes
                                BedtymeBear Level 2

I'd definitely second Steve's suggestion of calling Tech Support.

Also, you should probably do some kind of comparative testing to find out a little more too. Like, for example, create a new blank project in Premiere Elements, and then stick some of what I call "fake" video (like color bars or the countdown) in it, and try to export that as a QuickTime file with your desired settings.  See "Creating specialty clips" in the Premiere Elements Help for info about "fake" video.

If that test works, then the problem is with your source video/audio/pictures, or there's a problem with your original project. So, the questions become, what exactly do you have in the project? What project settings/preset is the project?

Maybe try exporting an uncompressed AVI out of your original project, create a brand new project, import the uncompressed AVI into this new project, then try exporting to QuickTime with your desired settings. (Uncompressed AVIs are very large, usually several gigabytes, but you don't lose quality when you do this.) To do uncompressed, do File > Export > Movie, click Settings, choose AVI, click the Video option on the left, select "None" for the compressor, then export it out.

I think that what I'm saying is that your project may be busted and you'll have to re-create it; hopefully these options work for you so you don't have to.

HTH

• 13. Re: Unable to increase Quicktime resolution encodes
                                  andy4quarts Level 1

Yup I tried to export as a raw .avi then import that file into a new project. I've tried different .avi files within different projects (new & old) and still the same thing. Now it appears it's doing it also when I try and encode to a Flash & Win Media. No matter how high I set the encode rate, it only saves a file at about 2-3 mbps.

I see tech support apparantly charges now. Does anybody suggest what the best way to go about that is? Are they pretty helpful or is it a waste of money?