5 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2009 5:01 PM by the_wine_snob

Debug Event Error

WalterSeaton

About two weeks I asked for help. Hunt kindly responded with a request that if it happened again I am to give him certain information. I tried to do so by replying to his email, but for some reason it is being returned as undeliverable, so here are the basic messges again:

Quite frequently, I receive the following error message:

Premiere Elements Debug Event.

Premiere Elements has encountered an error.

[..\..\src\PlatformWindowsManager\PlatformWindowsManager.cpp-132]

The only option presented is a button which, if clicked on, exits the application without saving the content.

What is happening here? Obviously, this becomes very aggravating after a while.

Many thanks.

Walter

And here is the email I could not send to Hunt:

Hi Hunt,
      Its happened again. Here are the events.
      I had been capturing files from my DV video camera for about 3 hours. After each capture, I saved the captured file, opened a new file (not necessarily in the same folder) and started another capture.
      I had just completed a capture and saved it and moved the timeline slider to be able to check one of the scenes (I don't remember if I actually pressed the Play button.) when the message appeared again. As before, when I clicked on "continue" the app shut down.
      My assets are:
      Processor: 2.40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q6600, 64 kilobyte primary memory cache, 4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache
      Memory: 3072 Megabytes Installed Memory, Slot 'DIMM0' has 1024 MB, Slot 'DIMM2' has 2048 MB
      Main Circuit Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5K-E Rev 1.xx, Serial Number: MS1C81BP5K01234, Bus Clock: 266 megahertz, BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0906 12/10/2007
      Drives: 1550.33 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity, 1195.40 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
                 HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H10N SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
                 3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]
                 Canon MP Memory Card USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 2
                 Maxtor OneTouch II USB Device [Hard drive] (300.08 GB) -- drive 3
                 ST3500320AS [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 0 (C Drive)
                 ST3750330AS [Hard drive] (750.15 GB) -- drive 1
      OS:  Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
      Display: ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series [Display adapter], ViewSonic VP930 Series [Monitor] (19.3"vis, s/n PQ8053603156, September 2005)
      MultiMedia: ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio - ATI AA01, Panasonic DVC Web Camera, SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio
      I hope this will help - many thanks
      Regards,
      Walter 

• 1. Re: Debug Event Error
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Walter,

I would assume that the e-mail notification feature is the little notice of a new reply to a post, that has been checked with the e-mail notification. To contact me, either the e'dress in my Profile, or an Adobe PM (Personal Message) sent from my Profile should reach me.

Now, with your error message, go to the Event Viewer (located in a couple of different places, depending on one's OS), but usually in the \\\System32 folder. It's also accessible from Programs>Utilities [?]. I have a shortcut on my Desktop, the moment that I get a new computer, so I'll have to look for it specifically, and then can only tell you where it is in XP-Pro SP3 - file name = eventvwr.exe.

In its opening screen, you'll see two windows. Look to the left and find "Application," and "System." Dbl-click on Application first, and you'll see a long list of programs and Processes. Scroll down, until you see some yellow triangles, and red circles with a white X. The name will begin with "Error," while the yellow triangles will read "Warning." Find some of these around the time/date as your crash. Dbl-click on each to get a dialog box. There may be useful info in there, but if there are any links, please follow those and read very carefully. Much can be contained in those links.

You might be better to do this, as soon as the program has thrown the error, and crashed. Then, you do not have to search down into the lists. Also do this for System, as well.

Doing this might lead to some clues into your mystery.

Screen-cap of Event Viewer:

Event Viewer 01.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Debug Event Error
            Kodebuster Level 3

If your running Vista, you can get to the Event Viewer by this path:

Start Menu/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer/Windows Logs/

Once here you can select one of the following: Application, Security, Setup,  or System events.

If it's loaded with a ton of events from day one and not easy to navigate, you can always clear the log, then force the Error for easier analysis.

Before clearing you can do a "save as" and save the current Log info for later reference...

• 3. Re: Debug Event Error
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Kodebuster,

Thanks for that info. I do not think that I've ever actually navigated to Event Viewer, as it's the first, or second thing that I install on my Desktop with each new computer. I know that one can get to it, but I always have it handy.

However, its location will likely help the OP.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Debug Event Error
                WalterSeaton Level 1

Hi Hunt,

I now have Event Viewer on my desktop - thank you for that tip - I did not

know of this facility.

The information given by following the link to Microsoft was not too helpful

but did give me an idea.

I am not used to applications running sometimes as slowly as does Premiere

Elements 7.0 and tend to click on a button repetitively if there is no

immediate response from the app. Thinking back, I believe this error

occurred every time I forgot and  repeatedly hit the "exit" button of the

capture facility after I had saved the capture.

In future, I will click once and then wait a reasonable amount of time

before clicking again and hope that will solve the problem.

Again, many thanks for your help.

Regards,

Walter

• 5. Re: Debug Event Error
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Walter,

You are most welcome. I hardly ever have to use it (luckily), but when I do, it's usually a bunch of times, until I solve the problem. When needed, it's golden.

As for the help of the error messages and even the links, well I feel your pain. Probably 75% of the time, I follow every possible link and read every possible message, and cannot get any useful info. I love the ones that end up reading, "There is no known cure for this problem. Check back in a couple of weeks." Yeah, right. Still, I've solved some pretty sticky situations with it, and do reach for it first.

I can relate to your impatience with certain programs. I find that I do the same thing. Heck, I've probably been guilty a dozen times a day, for the last week with the Adobe forum. Seems to have gotten horribly slow, and I'm getting kicked off with some regularity. I've crashed IE a couple of times, because I hit the Back, or Forward button too quickly, or too much. I've done worse with some older programs, and have often regretted doing so.

Hope that this was all that was happening. Would be nice if Event Viewer would says something like, "Hey, you pushed a couple of buttons too quickly. What did you expect?"

Now, for some cool and funny error messages, if you use ImgBurn (to Burn DVD's from folders, etc.), push a wrong button, or enter in a bogus value and look at the error messages. Sometimes, when I'm bored, I'll launch ImgBurn and do some things wrong, just to read these and laugh.

Good luck, and sorry that it took so long for me to see and respond to your post,

Hunt