4 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2009 8:31 AM by Christian Davideck

replacing sRGB.icm with AdobeRGB.icm ?

Christian Davideck Level 1

Hi. A question for Windows:

Is there any point in replacing  "sRGB Color Space Profile.icm" with "Adobe RGB (1998).icm" (as suggested here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1004&message=24998798 ) instead of just selecting "Adobe RGB (1998).icm" as your monitor profile (via display properties>>settings>>advanced>>color management or via the "color" control panel applet) ? Thank you.

• 1. Re: replacing sRGB.icm with AdobeRGB.icm ?
          Lou Dina Level 3

Christian,

Your post is a bit unclear to me.  I think I understand your goal.....to use the wider gamut monitor in color managed applications, such as Photoshop, but to be able to view the web, email, and non color managed applications with a monitor that displays colors more normally (sRGB gamut).

I'd recommend you consider using your wide gamut monitor with color managed applications, which will allow you to take advantage of it's capabilities when editing.  You can use a second, cheaper, sRGB gamut monitor, (which many use to display their Photoshop palettes and clear space on their primary monitor), for surfing the web or for use with non color managed applications.

I guess you can play around with your display defaults, but I am not sure what that would do.  If you use Firefox, or another color savvy browser, you can download a color management plugin and see if that helps.  I don't think I would go changing names of standard profiles until I really checked it out.

Have you conferred with the monitor manufacturer you bought your monitor from?  I have to believe they have seen this a LOT, and perhaps they have a good solution.

Lou

• 2. Re: replacing sRGB.icm with AdobeRGB.icm ?

Many thanks for your lenghty reply Lou. Sorry if my OP was unclear. Actually I don't have any problems with my current workflow. I just read the posting at dpreview.com and was asking myself what would be the difference of THEIR approach (basically replacing "sRGB Color Space Profile.icm" with "Adobe RGB (1998).icm" in Windows' safe mode)

INSTEAD OF

just selecting "Adobe RGB (1998).icm" as your monitor profile the usual way (as described in the OP) ?

Aren't both approaches giving the same results (with the first one just being way more complicated) or are there any differences ?

• 3. Re: replacing sRGB.icm with AdobeRGB.icm ?
              Ramón G Castañeda Level 4

Christian Davideck wrote:

just selecting "Adobe RGB (1998).icm" as your monitor profile the usual way (as described in the OP) ?

That's a monumentally bad idea.  It's wrong in every case.

You do not set a device-independent profile as your monitor profile,—ever!

You need to calibrate and profile your monitor accurately, regularly and often and use the resulting device-dependent profile as your monitor profile.

I didn't bother reading the dpreview post, as I don't give much credibility to anything posted there.

• 4. Re: replacing sRGB.icm with AdobeRGB.icm ?

Of course you are right Ramón!

But the question is not about any specific profile.

The question is whether or not there is a difference between

1) selecting color profile X as your monitor profile (with the usual means provided by the OS)

and

2) replacing"sRGB Color Space Profile.icm" with color profile X ?

Do both approaches end up doing the same thing on your screen ?

To make this clear: I have no intention whatsoever to carry out point 2, I just wanted to better understand things in theory.