7 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2009 8:58 AM by the_wine_snob

HDV not playing in CS4 works in CS3

Powered by Design Level 4
      I tried running an HDV mpeg file inside Premiere CS4 and it was choppy and pegged the CPU out at 100%
      Then I tried using Bridge and the HDV played fine with the CPU running at 50-60% just like the .avi file from the SD timeline.  So its a Premiere problem.
      That got me thinking that maybe it was a codec issue.
      I took the same HDV file and started a CS3 project.  Worked PERFECT  CPU at 50-60% no problems.
      It must be a CS4 problem inside Premier.
      I captured the file using Premier CS4 capture software and had no dropped frames.
      Anyone have any ideas on what would be the next step ?
      Is this one of those cases that I have to wait for ADOBE to update the premiere software.  I have the current updates on all software.
      So for now CS3 works but not CS4
      Thanks everyone:  Glenn
        • 1. Re: HDV not playing in CS4 works in CS3
          Harm Millaard Level 7

With each new version the hardware requirements go up. Maybe your system is no longer fast enough for CS4.

• 2. Re: HDV not playing in CS4 works in CS3

That could be true Harm.

Why would it play in Bridge though ?

When I check the settings the file says 3.5MB for the .avi file

and 2.5MB to run the .mpg file.

I do want a new system but was just wanting to wait till later to get one.

Thanks

• 3. Re: HDV not playing in CS4 works in CS3
              Harm Millaard Level 7

That is a kind of question people often ask, why can I play the file without hiccups in any player but not in PR?

It is actually quite simple, and this also applies to Bridge. All those players need to do is PLAY the file. Nothing more.

PR is an editor and needs to be able to EDIT the file. For that it indexes the video and conforms the audio, changes the 16 bit audio to 32 bit for internal processing, keeps track of cuts, transitions, effects, etc. In short there is way more overhead and much more housekeeping to perform than with a simple player.

BTW, what are your hardware specs?

• 4. Re: HDV not playing in CS4 works in CS3

Thanks Harm.

That makes sence.

Specs are:

Dell XPS
                Windows XP
                Media Center Edition
                Version 2002
                Service Pack 3
                Pentium 4 CPU 3.4 GHz  Dont know if its Dual Core.  It shows 2 CPU monitors in the windows task manager and it shows 2 processors in the processor listing in the device manager.
                3 GB of RAM
                NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT  1024MB
                I tried it on my laptop which is newer and a dual core and the same happens.
                I think my next computer will be a:
                3DBOXX 8500 Series
                High Performance Workstation
                In your opinion Harm what are your thoughts on this unit ?
                Glenn
                • 5. Re: HDV not playing in CS4 works in CS3
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Glenn,

Your current systen is a Pentium @ 3.4 GHz with Hyper Threading. I used to have one like that. Due to the HT it shows as 2 CPU's.

First reaction to your choice of a Boxx: Great quality at an even greater price. You can save yourself quite a bundle if you build your PC yourself. It is not difficult and if you are smart, copy from proven NLE systems the components that fit your budget.

Components often overlooked are cooling and power supply. I have made available three 'guides' that may be of interest to you. Look at all of them, since you may be able to find some helpful tips.

How to get the best from a PC? Some guides...

The image below shows you my setup, which is around 10 times faster than the Pentium @ 3.4 GHz.

PCResults.jpg

• 6. Re: HDV not playing in CS4 works in CS3