2 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2009 8:34 AM by Gene McCullagh

Filter anomaly with string fields

Gene McCullagh Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Is anyone else have an issue with string fields and filtering? What I notice is if I choose a custom string field in the metadata filter bar I'll see the usual list in the column like:

All (2 values)     50
      String 1       2
      No Value     48

If I choose All or an actual entry (like String 1) the correct images are filtered. However if I choose No Value I don't see 48 images but only the images I would see if I had chosen String 1.  The built in string fields (such as Label) don't behave in this fashion.

Is this a bug or something I can program around?

• 1. Re: Filter anomaly with string fields
          escouten Adobe Employee

Not sure. Can you send me a plug-in to look at? (Note: I'm heading out on vacation at EOD today, so I may a little slow to follow up.)

Also note: Adobe's spam filter likes to eat attachments (esp. ZIP files :-( ), so please use my personal address eric.scouten@gmail.com.

• 2. Re: Filter anomaly with string fields
            Gene McCullagh Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Thanks Eric. Just use the custom metadata sample plugin from the SDK. It exhibits the same behavior. Everything works fine so long as EVERY image has an entry in the string field. If any are empty the filter shows a No Value line. This doesn't happen for the builtin string fields. They do not show that line in the filter bar.

Choosing the No Value line does not show you the images that actually have no value in the field but some other group of images, some with values and some without.