3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2009 8:48 AM by the_wine_snob

Whenever opening an existing or new project, Premiere Elements 7.0 crashes

mipharm

When I try to open an existing or new project, the program begins "loading", goes to the main screen, then switches to where you can insert media, then crashes with this error message: "The exception unknown software exception (0xc000000d) occurred in the application at location 0x78138aa0. Click on OK to terminate the program."

I have seen a few other threads on subjects similar to this, but what I've tried so far has not worked to correct this issue. I've been using this fine until today.

I have tried changing the preferences folders, with no luck.

Please help!!

• 1. Re: Whenever opening an existing or new project, Premiere Elements 7.0 crashes
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Without knowing exactly what you've done, it's hard to say what needs to be done, mipharm. But here are a few basic things to consider:

1) What are you using for source files? Photo? Video? If video, what type of camcorder did the video come from and how did you get it into your computer?

2) How much free, defragmented space is on your hard drive?

3) Is your operating system up to date? (Manually going to Windows Update and adding the hidden or custom updates) Do you have the latest version of Quicktime -- which is critical for running this program with any stability?

• 2. Re: Whenever opening an existing or new project, Premiere Elements 7.0 crashes
            mipharm Level 1

To add to my last post, I even uninstalled and reinstalled, and it doesn't open without the error. I also tried logging in as a different user and the same problem happened, only when I tried opening a new file. I think the problem may be in opening the default library.

To answer your questions:

1. My source files are video. I am getting them from multiple places. Some, I downloaded, some I was e-mailed and sometimes I get them off a camcorder.

2. 40.9 G

3. Yes it is up to date. As a general rule, I don't use Quick Time. I am on a PC and I'm either trying to make something that will play in Windows Media Player or making a flash video for upload to the Internet.

I look forward to your response. Thanks!!!

• 3. Re: Whenever opening an existing or new project, Premiere Elements 7.0 crashes
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Considering that similar error messages are often related to memory - could be physical RAM, or Virtual Memory, please tell us all about your system. Pay special attention to things like how Windows Virtual Memory is set up, where it's set up and how it's managed. Tell us about your HDD's with all details, and also how they are used. Last, tell us about all other programs that are loading and those that are running. A screen-cap of the Processes tab in Task Manager will save you a lot of typing. Use the little "camera" icon to attach a JPG of this screen-cap.

I'd say that something is hooking memory (RAM or Virtual) and not reporting it properly to Windows. A look at Event Viewer, paying special attention to any yellow warning messages, and all red error messages in BOTH System and Application tabs would be a good step. Follow all links provided for clues.

Good luck,

Hunt