11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2009 11:45 AM by Kodebuster

Premiere Elements 7 crashes when I start to edit clips

Lord Phillips

I have downloaded Premium Elements 7 and installed same. I have taken a small series of 12 clips to try the software, into "new project (all 12 clips).

I then took the clips into the editing mode, but after dragging the 3 clips the programme crashed.

This has happened several times. Each time a menu pops up and says "Adobe has stopped working. A problem has caused the programme to stop working correctly. Windows will close the programme and notify you if a solution is available. CLOSE."

I have Vista Home Premium, using a 2GB dual core intel with 160 GB harddrive. Can some one tell me what is wrong please

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes when I start to edit clips
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

1) What are you using for source files? Photo? Video? If video, what type of camcorder did the video come from and how did you get it into your computer?

2) How much free, defragmented space is on your hard drive?

3) Is your operating system up to date? (Manually going to Windows Update and adding the hidden or custom updates) Do you have the latest version of Quicktime -- which is critical for running this program with any stability (per the FAQs to the right of this forum)? This is particularly important when running Vista.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416585?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes when I start to edit clips
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            I have Vista Home Premium, using a 2GB dual core intel with 160 GB harddrive.

Look closely at Steve's question #2. That, coupled with your above spec. is probably one of the major problems. PE actually creates a lot of files, when you edit a Project. These, coupled with the Windows' Virtual Memory (Page File) growing to accommodate editing, can use a lot of Hard Disk Drive real estate, and do so in a hurry. Some of these files are deleted, when PE is closed, so you may never actually see some of these, if you look in Windows Explorer, after PE has been shut down. Still, the space is required and is very, very important.

Also, as other things can contribute, all of Steve's questions are very important. This is just the "red flag," that hit me.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes when I start to edit clips
              Lord Phillips Level 1

Dear Steve,

Thanks for the prompt response. I am having major problems. As you suggested I activated quicktime and then updated this. Then my problems got worse as I was unable to find the clips which were originally stored in Adobe photoshop so could not obtain them. I decided to uninstall PREMIUM ELEMENTS and re-download after restarting my PC. Unfortunately it will not install. it aborts part way throughthe installation

Install shows,  C:\Program files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 7.0\   then Next, then Install, which I click on.

Part way through this install procedure a menu appears

Menu Error 1311. Source file not found and C:\User\Admin\App Data\Local\Temp\wzde 24\data1.cab. Verify that file exists and that you can access it.  Retry and cancel

Checking through the files the last one is wzde 24 but no data1.cab file.

So what else am I not doing or doing wrong.

Thanks for your assistance

Barry

Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 09:42:35 -0600

To: barrymphillips@hotmail.com

Subject: Premiere Elements 7 crashes when I start to edit clips

1) What are you using for source files? Photo? Video? If video, what type of camcorder did the video come from and how did you get it into your computer?

3) Is your operating system up to date? (Manually going to Windows Update and adding the hidden or custom updates) Do you have the latest version of Quicktime -- which is critical for running this program with any stability (per the FAQs to the right of this forum)? This is particularly important when running Vista.

>

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes when I start to edit clips
                Lord Phillips Level 1

Dear Steve,

Thanks for the prompt response. I am having major problems. As you suggested I activated quicktime and then updated this. Then my problems got worse as I was unable to find the clips which were originally stored in Adobe photoshop so could not obtain them. I decided to uninstall PREMIUM ELEMENTS and re-download after restarting my PC. Unfortunately it will not install. it aborts part way throughthe installation

Install shows,  C:\Program files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 7.0\   then Next, then Install, which I click on.

Part way through this install procedure a menu appears

Menu Error 1311. Source file not found and C:\User\Admin\App Data\Local\Temp\wzde 24\data1.cab. Verify that file exists and that you can access it.  Retry and cancel

Checking through the files the last one is wzde 24 but no data1.cab file.

So what else am I not doing or doing wrong.

Thanks for your assistance

Barry

PS I have 23 GB on C and a full 69 on D

Video is a Sanyo Xacti an MP4 system

Downloaded with still pictures to Adobe Photoshop and then Pics into one folder and videos into another folder and to sub folders 

>

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes when I start to edit clips
                  Lord Phillips Level 1

Dear Steve,

Have not heard from you . If you are unable to assist is there someone or Org who could help. Thank you

Barry Phillips

>

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes when I start to edit clips
                    Kodebuster Level 3

I don't use the PE7 download from Adobe.com, I happen to have the actual Install disc.

If I was using the download in your current situation, here's the approach I would use:

First check Control Panel/Programs & Features, and make sure that Adobe Elements is not listed as an Installed Application.

If it is, highlight then click Uninstall.

Then check C:\Program Files\Adobe and make sure all of the PE7 program files were actually deleted.

I would then re-download the PE7 Install file from Adobe, and run it.

It should then extract all necessary files to C:\User\Admin\App Data\Local\, and proceed to Install.

Post any results...

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes when I start to edit clips
                      Lord Phillips Level 1

Dear Kodebuster,

Did as you suggested but program stopped part way through. Menu appeared, "Error 1316. A network error occurred while attempting to read the file. C:\User\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\wz87ie\adobe Premiere Elements7.0msi"

Tracing the C above I got to Temp and clicked but the wz87ie was not in that Temp file. I could not find it when I did a search

Barry.  Thanks

Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 08:55:23 -0600

I don't use the PE7 download from Adobe.com, I happen to have the actual Install disc.

If I was using the download in your current situation, here's the approach I would use:

First check Control Panel/Programs & Features, and make sure that Adobe Elements is not listed as an Installed Application.

If it is, highlight then click Uninstall.

Then check C:\Program Files and make sure all of the PE7 program files were actually deleted.

I would then re-download the PE7 Install file from Adobe, and run it.

It should extract all necessary files to Adobe/App Data and proceed to Install.

Post your results...

>

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes when I start to edit clips
                        Kodebuster Level 3

Although PE7 may no longer appear in Control Panel/Programs and Features, the error you are getting is indicating that PE7 was never fully uninstalled from your system. This is probably due to the error/issue you encountered during your first install attempt.

You can run the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility to fix things up and make your System/Registry whole again.

See this link for details (the Link references iTunes.msi, but the procedure is the same for "Premiere Elements7.0msi"):

http://www.zolved.com/synapse/view_content/20113/Error_1316__A_network_error_occurred_whil e_attempting_to_rea

See this link also for additional info. Although it references Acrobat Reader, the info is relevant to any application that fails to install/uninstall to completion.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/393338

If you google "Error 1316", you will see a ton of links all related to App's that failed in this manner upon Install...

Hope this helps...

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes when I start to edit clips
                          Kodebuster Level 3

I checked a few other links and it indicates that this utility will run with Vista...

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes when I start to edit clips
                            Lord Phillips Level 1

Dear K,  For a while I thought you had conquered the matter.  But during installation process a new menu came up,-"Error 1311. Source file not found C:\User\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\wz21a6\Data1.cab".  Tracing through when I came to wz21a6 and clicked on this file it did  not show a Data1. cab file but adobe PE7 file.

Regards Barry

Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 20:25:28 -0600

Although PE7 no longer appears in Control Panel/Programs and Features, the error you are getting is indicating that PE7 was never fully uninstalled from your system. This is probably due to the error/issue you encountered during your first install attempt.

You can run the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility to fix things up and make your Registry whole again.

See this link for details:

http://www.zolved.com/synapse/view_content/20113/Error_1316__A_network_error_occurred_whil e_attempting_to_rea

See this link also for additional info. Although it references Acrobat Reader, the info is relevant to any application that fails to install/uninstall to completion.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/393338

Hope this helps...

>

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes when I start to edit clips
                              Kodebuster Level 3

To avoid any confusion on my part, lets take it from the top.

You ran the Microsoft Install Cleanup Utility and that took you past the Error 1316.

Then a new download from Adobe of PE7 for install.

When run, it extracts the files, then at some point you now get an Error 1311, indicating it can't find file Data1.cab.

I would try this:

Delete all files in C:\User\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\wz21a6\

(this seems to be the default directory for PE7 extracts)

(If it's NOT, then you need to find that extract Directory and clean it up)

Run the install again and it should stop with a dialog after the files extract.

At this point do nothing and goto the extract directory above and see whats there.

If Data1.cab is missing, then quite frankly I'm at a loss, and maybe someone can chime in with some thoughts.

Once extracted you should see something as the following:

Adobe Photoshop Elements 7.0 (en_us).msi

common.msi

Data1.cab

lang.dat

ols_config.xml

Photoshop Elements 7.0 Read Me.html

Setup.exe

Setup.ini

You can also take a peek at this link for some additional info:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1758947#1758947

Good Luck...