13 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2009 8:17 PM by Reese Richardson

Video Size

Reese Richardson Level 1

I have purchased a camera that also does video in 1920 X 1080 can't find a format in that size so what seems to happen is Premiere crops it to fit and that takes forever. I'm keep this simple just to get started. I considering purchasing PP4  I have PP2 also does not have a way to do with out croping. I don't understand this stuff any help will be helpfull.

• 1. Re: Video Size
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Before starting shooting video and then later trying to edit it with a professional oriented package like PR, it pays to get the basics right. Get some basic schooling in video editing or start shooting and use a consumer application like WMM. It also helps if you understand how to pose a question.

How to ask questions the smart way

• 2. Re: Video Size
            Reese Richardson Level 1

I remember you, main reason I don't come to this site, you just have to be smart don't you.

• 3. Re: Video Size
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Reese,

Which camera, please? If it's the Nikon D90, or the Canon 5D MK II, there are several articles on using their motion footage in PrPro. You should be able to locate most of the discussions by doing a search with those specific terms. On the Canon, some discussion was just before the forum changeover, so some may have been lost.

For any motion footage, there is so very much more that goes into the equation, than frame size.

See Harm's link, as it will point you to some specific questions. Right now, other than can your system handle HD material, you can probably skip that part, but if you get deeper into this thread, then plan on filling in the blanks there too. Right now, people will need the specific camera and model. Next, they will need the format and ideally the CODEC, that the mfgr. uses to get to that format. More questions will most certainly pop up, but the answers to these will get us going. Harm's link will explain in much more detail. If you get to a question that you have no clue as to how you can answer, just point that out, and someone will help you. Also, if you have the manual for the camera, it will have a lot more useful data, than just posting a link to the mfgr's Web site. These omit some very important info.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Video Size
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Well, one of us has to be smart, and your questions are not smart, they leave out all relevant details. If you find it offensive to supply details, that's all right, but do not expect any sensible suggestions just on vapor.

• 5. Re: Video Size
                  Reese Richardson Level 1

Its a Canon SXI 1S it shots in MOV at 1920 1080. There is on dought I'm an amatuar, WMM does not suport MOV formats and I know how to use PP2. I'm concidering getting PP4 but as I said at the start of this thread can't find anything that supports 1920 1080 so it just crops. I'd ask Adobe but they won't help on a trial version so I'm stuck in asking here. With out any great any great way to know what to ask. As Harm has stated. If there's no way to do this there is no reason to get PP4.

• 6. Re: Video Size
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Reese,

That .MOV is a "wrapper," and the actual file contained inside it can differ greatly. The Canon 5D MK II also delivers its AV files in a .MOV wrapper. While you do not have that specific camera, there could well be similarities in the .MOV that your's produces and the ones that the 5D produces. That's one reason that I mentioned it. Have not seen too much on other Canon still camera's AV footage, but there are several threads on the 5D. Unfortunately, Canon does not go into a lot of detail on their site. They pretty much leave it as frame-size and wrapper - .MOV. The owner is pretty much on their own to figure out that it's a variation of the MP4 CODEC inside the .MOV files.

As for the 1920x1080, I believe that you can find a Preset for that, or at the worst, create a Custom Preset. I'm anything but an expert in HD, but think that that is the upper limit to HD right now. If someone else tells you otherwise - believe them.

Do research those Canon 5D MK II articles here. Also, look on the Premiere Elements forum, as I think there might be a few more there. I'd guess that your camera is pretty similar in the AV files that it creates. Might be another variation on MP4 inside, but very similar.

I could be mistaken on this, but something tells me that the Audio is AC3. This can also create some problems when Importing and with editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Video Size
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

As Hunt told you, there is an 'abundance' of 1920x1080 formats available in the full version of CS4, but they are limited to AVCHD and XDCAM codecs. It may well be that the Canon uses a different codec. In that case you may need to convert prior to importing into CS4. That is why it is so important to give precise details about the camera and codec, otherwise it will only result in wild guesses, which does not help you at all.

• 8. Re: Video Size
                        Reese Richardson Level 1

Not avatible in trial verision, that's what I just figured out after reading what was not included with PP4 trial. That was after I look at PP2 and it had that size 1920 X1080 in HD. So you got me going in the right direction.

It was taking forever to render a work area in PP2. What I wanted to find out was how much faster it would be in PP4. Still don't know with what sizes I could find to work it was faster, but the video was cropped.I can only assume if the size matched it would take less time if that makes sence. 

• 9. Re: Video Size
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

I don't have direct comparisons in speed between 2.0, CS3 and CS4, because the workflow has changed too much to make sensible comparisons. In CS4 there is now batch encoding with AME. Had that not been the case I expect there would not have been significant differences. Some even say that CS3 is faster than CS4. I can not confirm or deny that, since I have changed my PC in the upgrade process.

• 10. Re: Video Size
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

If working with these files in PrPro2 was very slow, it is not likely that CS4 will be of much help. While it can probably do some things better with HD footage in general, once one gets to Exporting and Rendering, it becomes heavily system dependent. CS4 also uses more of a system's resources, than did PrPro 2. Any speed (due to new coding) is likely to be more than eaten up with the greater resource requirement.

The best way to shorter Render/Export times is with very fast, new and plenty of 'em - processors. RAM and I/O can help a bit, but CPU horsepower is the biggest contributor to short Render/Export times.

Good luck, and please let us know how it works out,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Video Size
                              Reese Richardson Level 1

Okay one more question,in the trail version it doesn't let you use Encore 4 to do anything, so I can't tell what it will do, what I asking in PP2 when it burns it burns in 720 480 which I question why it doesn't burn at 1920X1080. The final question is, does PP4 burn in 1920X1080 or does it also burn in 720X480 and what does this mean in quality? I hope this makes sence.

• 12. Re: Video Size
                                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

1920x1080 is a high-definition frame size.  The only hidef option you have in Encore CS4 is blu-ray.  If you have a blu-ray burner and blank blu-ray media, then 1920x1080 is an option for you.

DVD is standard definition.  720x480 for NTSC DVD is the max (and only) resolution you can get.

-Jeff

• 13. Re: Video Size
                                  Reese Richardson Level 1

Wow, then there's no reason for me to buy PP4.