9 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2009 2:02 PM by Ramón G Castañeda

Upgrade to 4.6?

Ray Swindle

I currently use Canon's 5D and 40D cameras.  I have v 4.5 installed.  Is there any  reason to upgrade to 4.6.1?  (Yes, I have been living under a rock for a while!)

• 1. Re: Upgrade to 4.6?
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4

Yes, upgrade.

ACR releases often contain unheralded enhancements and improvements, as well as bug fixes, in addition to support for more cameras.  It's always a good idea to use the latest version of the ACR plug-in.

What's more, ACR 5.3 is so far ahead of 4.5 and 4.6 that the upgrade to Photoshop CS4 is a no-brainer.  Otherwise you're failing to take advantage of a good deal of image quality.

• 2. Re: Upgrade to 4.6?
            Ray Swindle Level 1

Ramone, you told me "ACR releases often contain unheralded enhancements and improvements, as well as bug fixes, in addition to support for more cameras."  The details missing from your statement contain the answers I am seeking.  What enhancements, improvements or fixes are in 4.6 that I am missing?  4.5 already supports all of my cameras.  I only upgrade when there are issues I need fixed in my existing applications.  Right now I am OK with 4.5, but was wondering what enhancements or improvements I am missing or what bugs have been fixed?  Can you or anyone else provide the details?

Thank you very much,

eddiewrei

• 3. Re: Upgrade to 4.6?
              JimHess-8IPblY Level 3

The "missing" details are missing because they are completely undocumented.  Often there are little tweaks that only the development team really know about.  And since they don't really change the behavior of ACR those changes remain undocumented.  My experience has been that it is usually "business as usual" after doing an ACR update.  Most of the time I cannot see any difference.  That will probably be your experience if you were to upgrade to 4.6.  But if you understand the update process, it is so simple to do.  And it seems to me that you would want the most that you can get out of what is available to you.  Nobody says you must update, and if you don't want to then don't worry about it.  If what you are using does everything that you need and you are satisfied with your setup then don't worry about it.  If you ever do decide that you need ACR 4.6 you can get it from the download site.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Upgrade to 4.6?
                Ray Swindle Level 1

Thanks Jim, you get a gold star!  I will consider the upgrade.

• 5. Re: Upgrade to 4.6?

eddiewrei wrote:

Ramone,

Right off the bat, you got my name wrong. 

eddiewrei wrote:

What enhancements, improvements or fixes are in 4.6 that I am missing?

They're undocumented, but they're there.

• 6. Re: Upgrade to 4.6?

eddiewrei wrote:

…I will consider the upgrade.

Going from 4.5 to 4.6 is NOT an "upgrade".  It's a free update.

But, yes, you should consider the paid upgrade to CS4 so you can run 5.3 and, now, 5.4.

• 7. Re: Upgrade to 4.6?
                      Ray Swindle Level 1

Sorry, I guess I had happy fingers when I typed your name, I appologize.

I will not upgrade PhotoShop until next year at the earliest.

• 8. Re: Upgrade to 4.6?
                        JimHess-8IPblY Level 3

Ramon,

I'm not challenging your strong recommendation to upgrade to Photoshop CS4.  I just want to ask what ACR 5.4 would give me in addition to what I have in Lightroom 2.3.  Other than the fact that Lightroom is a little bit sluggish on my old computer.  But I'm looking around for a new one right now.  Just wondering.

• 9. Re: Upgrade to 4.6?

Jim,

My recommendation of ACR 5.x over 4.x does not take Lightroom into consideration.  I never take Lightroom into consideration.