8 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2009 5:04 PM by joshtownsend

SP2 is out. Now only waiting for 4.1

Harm Millaard Level 7

That says it all.

• 1. Re: SP2 is out. Now only waiting for 4.1
          joshtownsend Level 2

It was a short work week. I'm not holding breath for it to come out this week.

Wish they'd release something giving us an idea what's gonna be fixed so I'll know if I should care or not.

• 2. Re: SP2 is out. Now only waiting for 4.1
            Harm Millaard Level 7

My guess is that they waited for SP2 to come out first. Now there are no more barriers to come out with 4.1.

• 3. Re: SP2 is out. Now only waiting for 4.1
              joshtownsend Level 2

Hope your right, ready to download tommorow if that's the case.Think theres gonna release a AE update to go along with it? They spinned all the NEW RED improvements but the whole Adobe RED workflow still depends on having both AE and Premiere from what I read. They even delayed the first RED plu-in because AE 4.0.2 wasn't ready. (remember? Final Cut Pro came out with a RED plug-in the day Adobe missed the there promisede release date surprising the hell out of everyone because it came out of nowhere.)

Vista Sp2 is nice so far, seems smoother and a hair snappier more like WIndoes 7.

• 4. Re: SP2 is out. Now only waiting for 4.1
                Powered by Design Level 4

What is SP2 Harm ?

I know 4.1 us the update for the software.

Its late.  got brain freeze.

• 5. Re: SP2 is out. Now only waiting for 4.1
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Service Pack 2 for Windows Server 2008 and Vista has been released in both 32 and 64 bit. It is my guess that Adobe waited untill that was released. Of course they had to test whether 4.1 would not give problems with these new service packs, so they waited untill these were released. Now there is nothing to hold them back from releasing it, unless they still have other problems. The lack of communication from Adobe's side it often frustrating and leads to all kind of rumors. We just have to wait, but my gut feeling is that it can't be long.

BTW, SP2 does improve performance. Yesterday I tested my notebook with the PassMark benchmark test with SP1 and it came up with a system score of 790, today I repeated the test with SP2 installed and came up with a score of 830. I posted these results under another thread, Contemplating a Notebook...

• 6. Re: SP2 is out. Now only waiting for 4.1
                    joshtownsend Level 2

Harm Millaard wrote:

Service Pack 2 for Windows Server 2008 and Vista has been released in both 32 and 64 bit. It is my guess that Adobe waited untill that was released. Of course they had to test whether 4.1 would not give problems with these new service packs, so they waited untill these were released. Now there is nothing to hold them back from releasing it, unless they still have other problems.

There's been Vista SP2 beta for download for a while. They released the final SP2 to OEM manafacturers a few weeks ago. The Final SP2 has been availible for them to test with. Besides at the beginning of the year after the 4.0.1 update an Adobe rep came on the boards and said there wouldn't be another update untill NAB.

Harm Millaard wrote:

there is nothing to hold them back from releasing it, unless they still have other problems.

They've had major problems since CS4 came out . Hell they're working on CS5 right now. If they can't fix CS4's problems by the end of the month think what CS5 will be like.

• 7. Re: SP2 is out. Now only waiting for 4.1
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      There's been Vista SP2 beta for download for a while. They released the final SP2 to OEM manafacturers a few weeks ago. The Final SP2 has been availible for them to test with.

That is completely correct.

First, I hardly ever mention beta's or RC's since IMO it is not advisable to use those on a production machine. Second, most of the users here are neither MCP or TechNet subscribers, so access to new releases before the general public, does not apply to the majority. Those who have access do not need to be informed on this forum.

My point was that Adobe used the last weeks to test with SP2 and they are now running out of excuses not releasing 4.1

• 8. Re: SP2 is out. Now only waiting for 4.1
                        joshtownsend Level 2

OK. I thought you were saying they were waiting for the final version of SP2 because they need to test it out. I'm sorry Harm. You got me all hot and bothered when I came home from work (cutting down trees in sunny Florida to pay for sound post for my flick) and though we might have CS4.1. (sorry man gotta dig it in)