Has anyone else found a solution to this?
Having similar problems with IE8. Problems with IE7 not displaying updated information via a web service.
The solution may be click "Compatibility" button in IE8. Or you can update *.html files in workspace-client.ear
Add this tag to every page:
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7" />
This helps for IE8 successfully. How to solve disfunction with FireFox 3 I don't know. ;-(
Problem with non updating task info is connected to JGroups in ALC server somehow. You can see the remoting communication is going well, but the workspace backend doesn't provide information. The working solution I have found is to restart server again and again and again.
Workspace and Acrobat do NOT get along with IE8, even in "compatibilty mode." I've had a lot of session issues in Workspace running IE8 as well as PDF rendering issues. I'm not saying it isn't possible to use IE8, but it may be easier to just switch browsers. I've found IE7 and surprisingly Google Chrome 2.0 work very well with Workspace.
Ryan D. Lunka
Cardinal Solutions Group