7 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2009 11:05 AM by 303197

auto function problem

Using cs3.  any image - adjustment - auto command or using auto in curves or levels causes image to become the rgb negative.  What did i do wrong and how do i restore normal functions?   thanks

• 1. Re: auto function problem
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This is odd behavior, and I've not observed it before. However, I also do not use any "Auto" Effects, as I find that at their best, they give a pulsing look - all of them. I do the same Effects (the non-Auto versions), and do the adjustments by hand. Still, I have played with a few Auto-Effects, and not observed what you describe.

Tell us more about your Project and especially the Clips themselves. More detail is better. If you need to find the CODEC used on the Clips, G-Spot will tell you. Also, are you using anything Matrox, BlackMagic or CineForm?

Good luck, and hope that the answers to the above questions will lead to a resolution. Have you tried Levels, for instance, in lieu of Autio Levels? Same result?

Hunt

• 2. Re: auto function problem
            303197 Level 1

i do not usually use the auto contrast etc.  the problem noted first while using auto on curves facility, then confirmed on levels, and on the auto contrast etc.   the result in all cases is for the upward sloping input vs output slope to be replaced by three downward sloping lines one for each of the Channels.  Will try and see if applies in the CMYK output.  They change in relative positions depending if using levels or curves but are essentially at 90 degrees to the standard curve in 'curves'  and they become in fact a RBG negative subjected to it seems a degree of 'correction'.  And yes the levels curve becomes spikey. Will send images later have to 'shrink' them and cannot now.   Like your moniker,   appreciate your interest.  

• 3. Re: auto function problem
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Hm-m-m, Auto Curves. Must have been added with Premiere Pro CS3, as PrPro2 does not have that, only Luma Curves and RGB Curves. Wonder what this Effect is reading. As for CMYK you'll need to convert that into RGB, for Import into Premiere. Obviously you're familiar with the Mode dialog in Photoshop.

Well, I am about to declare Wine Thirty, so I'll check in tomorrow. Maybe someone with CS3, or CS4 can comment on exactly what Auto Curves is reading and balancing with.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Just to be sure, you are using Premiere Pro CS3 and not Photoshop CS3, right?

• 4. Re: auto function problem
                303197 Level 1

thanks for helping me correct my initial listing the program is adobe photoshop cs3.  I got on the wrong initial site. sorry for the mistake. I append copies of image before a and after using the auto function.  Have been trying to address through another lead and away from computer.

• 5. Re: auto function problem
                  303197 Level 1

second image post using auto on curves

• 6. Re: auto function problem
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Not a problem. I was wondering if maybe some different Effects had been added, but all of sudden I realized that everything that you mentioned was in Photoshop, but not likely to be in Premiere.

There has been a lot of odd behavior on the fora, since the changeover. Folk post to the proper forum, but their posts end up all over the place. It could well be that you were a victim of that.

Hope that the PS forum has the answers. I haven't been visible there, since the changeover, so I need to poke my head in.

As for the Auto aspect, I normally steer clear of those Adjustments, choosing their "big brothers." Same for both PS and Premiere.

In PS, several writers have found good uses for Auto_____. Dr. Brown is one. He's done some tutorials on where these can actually help. Same for Ben Wilmore. Seems there was a complete article on the Auto____ series of Adjustments in a fairly recent copy of Photoshop User, the NAPP magazine. Because I normally stay away from Auto anything, I learned a few tricks from that article.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS do I get the "points" for pointing you to the right forum?

• 7. Re: auto function problem
                      303197 Level 1

Pointed to the solution so I would say solution on the way.  I was mislead by my initial error of site to ask questions on so in that sense the problem has been solved. Thanks to Wine snob.