3 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2009 12:57 PM by the_wine_snob

easy DVD audio export from Premiere?

mstcharles

Premiere CS3

Windows Vista Ultimate

Hello,

I'm used to exporting to MPEG-2 for DVD from Premiere, but I've been using PCM (wav) audio- then I let Encore re-encode that to Dolby.

There's an option to export Dolby within Premiere, but you have to pay for it? If Encore can encode with Dolby, shouldn't Premiere be able to as well?

PCM file size is too big, and the only other option is MPEG, which I've heard can be a compatibility issue.

Is there a way to transfer a Dolby license from Encore to Premiere? Or something?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: easy DVD audio export from Premiere?
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

The Dolby encoder in PPro is much more sophisticated than the one in Encore.

There is no way to transfer the Encore Dolby encoder to PPro.

Sorry that's not the answer you wanted to hear.

Cheers
          Eddie

• 2. Re: easy DVD audio export from Premiere?
            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

The Surcode Dolby Digital encoder that you can buy for Premiere Pro is a Dolby Labs logo-certified multichannel encoder.

The Dolby Digital encoder in Encore is a two-channel consumer version.

-Jeff

• 3. Re: easy DVD audio export from Premiere?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

As Jeff points out, the Minnetonka Audio SurCode DD 5.1 SS plug-in is just that - 6 channel encoding to AC3

The Encore DD encoder is 2 channel (stereo), lacking the additional channels and their settings, though it too encodes to AC3

Different encoders, doing different things. The commonality is that they end up with AC3 files and use Dolby Digital encoding on the different source files.

Hunt

PS, if you do buy the DD 5.1 SS SurCode plug-in (I highly recommend it for 5.1 SS work), do so from within PrPro, as you will get a "user's" discount of about US$50 (might be less now, as I *think* that SurCode has lowered the price again). I love mine so much that I bought a copy for each machine.