15 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2009 2:18 PM by Harm Millaard

It appears 4.1 is available

Harm Millaard Level 7

Currently downloading 12 updates with a total size of 535 MB.

• 1. Re: It appears 4.1 is available
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Hmmm... nothing here yet. Stupid time zone differences

12 updates? That seems like quite a few at one time. Have you not updated in awhile?

• 2. Re: It appears 4.1 is available
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Despite the massive download, 4.1 was not included. It still is 4.01.

Sorry to get your hopes up. We're still waiting...

Normally updates are automatically indicated for download and install. That's the reason I did not check explicitly. Maybe my fault.

• 3. Re: It appears 4.1 is available
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Boo. Hiss.

There's always tomorrow.

• 4. Re: It appears 4.1 is available
                tclark513 Level 3

If you don't mind me asking...what were the updates that you did receive?

• 5. Re: It appears 4.1 is available
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

AE, FL, PS, EN and Output module.

They must have been recent, because I have automatic updates per week turned on. Just 4.1 is not included.

• 6. Re: It appears 4.1 is available
                    mustbebelize Level 1

Why can't they just give us a release date!

• 7. Re: It appears 4.1 is available
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

That would require them to open their mouth and that has been their weakness all along. I don't know whether it is caused by halitosis, bad teeth, sheer shyness or just contempt for customers, but apart from bugs, lack of communication must be a major weakness.

• 8. Re: It appears 4.1 is available
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

Because if they said it, they'd have to stick to it--which, of course, they wouldn't. It's basically a lose-lose situation, but I'm sure they prefer the animosity garnered from "Why ain't it here yet?" to "Why ain't it here on X-day at X-o'clock like you said it would?"

Besides, it's a vicious cycle. As soon as 4.1 drops, there will be "something" amiss and thus begins the chorus of "When is 4.1.1/4.2/5.0 coming out to fix these problems?" Sure, 4.1 is likely going to fix a lot of things, but here be dragons. This always has been and always will be the case, and not just with Adobe. You pick the NLE or other software vendor, and you'll hear the same cacophony.

You'll often hear folks prophesizing the impending doom of Adobe and how perfect Final Cut Pro or Vegas or... well I guess the list stops there... is, but the truth is that it's just not so. The grass is always greener "over there"--the only difference is where "there" is. What one program gets right, another does not, but the other program gets something else right, ad infinitum. It does not end.

Ultimately, if something doesn't work for you, dump it and find something else that (mostly) does. If it does work for you, well: get job, do job, get paid, repeat. Waiting for a software update to save our souls is a waste of time.

Have a great day!

• 9. Re: It appears 4.1 is available
                          tclark513 Level 3

Harm...what version of After Effects and Encore did it update to?

• 10. Re: It appears 4.1 is available
                            Alan Craven Level 4

Harm Millaard wrote:

That would require them to open their mouth and that has been their weakness all along. I don't know whether it is caused by halitosis, bad teeth, sheer shyness or just contempt for customers, but apart from bugs, lack of communication must be a major weakness.

I should think the most likely reason for the Silence of Adobe is contempt for their customers.  That is the attitude which always comes across from their so-called "support" personnel.

• 11. Re: It appears 4.1 is available
                              Thrill Media Level 2

Mine are 9.0.1.51 and 4.0.1.048 respectively with everything "up to date".

• 12. Re: It appears 4.1 is available
                                mustbebelize Level 1

There may be other motivations:

1.  By not revealing the exact date, they escalate the level of "anxiety" and "desire" with a consequent wider customer base retention (even though some customers may be turned off or move to another application by this marketing strategy).

2.  By not revelaing the exact date, they keep customers coming back to the website to check on the availability of the update thereby increasing the frequency of exposure to other products, consequent sales and branding.  So the question is, how many folks bought new products over the time they went to check on update availability?  Or, how many folks visiting the website (it is an awesome website) reaffirmed that Adobe is the Digital Media god of the 21st century (even gods err although we always come back like chastened followers).

• 13. Re: It appears 4.1 is available
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                                  Mine are 9.0.1.51 and 4.0.1.048 respectively with everything "up to date".

Same here.

• 14. Re: It appears 4.1 is available
                                    joshtownsend Level 2

Damn Harm you had me excited..........I'd love to be wrong about this update being late (think Adobe's been hanging out with RED too much).

To whoever asked why they didn't set a release date, they did, said it would come end of the month. The press release mainly touted RED camera stuff and the only fix they disclosed was a quicker start time. I understand them not releasing a huge list of fixes because people will see Premeire as being really messed up.

So they've got two more work days or there late (i'm still thinking there will be an announcement next that it's been delayed a few weeks.)

BUT HERE'S WHAT REALLY SCARES ME:

I posted in the After Effects wish list thread in the AE forum. Got response's from TWO Adobe employees. Todd K made a good point but, the other Adobe employee had NO IDEA there was no more 24pa auto-pulldown!!!!!! I pointed to white paper (P2 MXF footage and CS4 workflow) David Jimerson wrote for Adobe but ended up on the Panasonic Website somehow.

I'm really floored he had no idea about the 24pa issue. I'm really getting tired of editing in Prpro then taking a file or god forbid a project in AE and I have to do the pulldown on each file again!!!!!!! The process takes longer in AE than Premiere.

Here's the link to AE thread.

I'm really thinking about moving to FCP for my cutting if 4.1 turns out lame. Of course After Effects I'll always love (rock solid program)

Sorry for the vent/rant, Harm's false alarm triggered it.

HARM, you might wanna take your auto update to the shop, some of those updates are over a month old.

• 15. Re: It appears 4.1 is available
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                                      HARM, you might wanna take your auto update to the shop, some of those updates are over a month old.

You may be right. I checked my preferences and it is set to automatically update every week and in the past few weeks I got warned about updates for Acrobat and Illustrator, so I never expected it not to work as indicated for the other applications in the Master Collection, but obviously it does not work as intended. Hence, when I checked manually and found 12 updates with a large size, I expected 4.1 to be there. Again, sorry for the false alarm and I will contact Adobe for a MLC (mid life conversion or otherwise known as a complete overhaul).