5 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2009 5:54 PM by Andre Brito

Error when adding objects dynamically to a TileList

Andre Brito Level 1

Hi people.

I'm having some troubles when adding things dynamically. I have a Thing with a Label and I want to add the Thing in a TileList with a name (a String) that I have. The TileList's dataprovider is an ArrayCollection called array.

In ActionScript, something like this:

private function addThing(event : MouseEvent) : void

{

var thing : Thing = new Thing();

var name : String = new String("test");

thing.label.text = name;

array.addItem(thing);

}

But there's a runtime-error (an exception, I believe):

TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.

Why this is happening? When I try to add the Thing to the Box that I have (forgot to say that the TileList is inside a Panel and the Panel inside a VBox) things go well (actually, I have to write the attribution bellow the addChild).

Thanks! And sorry my bad english.

• 1. Re: Error when adding objects dynamically to a TileList
          Gregory Lafrance Level 6

Has the array been initialized?

If you just did this:

private var array:ArrayCollection;

that's not enough. You need to do this:

private var array:ArrayCollection = new ArrayCollection();

If this post answers your question or helps, please mark it as such.

• 2. Re: Error when adding objects dynamically to a TileList
            Andre Brito Level 1

Hi Greg.

Yes, the array is initialized.

I forgot to say, so I'm saying it now. The Thing.mxml file has only mxml code. I'm saying this 'cause I believe that that error happens because there's no constructor for Thing. But for Thing to have a constructor I'd had to code Thing.as, wouldn't I?

The error happens when I try to name "thing":

thing.label.text = name;

Edit: I noticed somehting: the initialization of Thing happens after the "addItem" is called. I created a method for the creationComplete called init() and that init() method is called after the addItem is called. Is that right? Why that happens?

• 3. Re: Error when adding objects dynamically to a TileList
              Andre Brito Level 1

Guys, nobody knows how to solve this? I'm accepting new sugestions.

My "main doubt" is this: when I create a component using the "new" word, why it is creating twice, and why does the creationComplete method is called after I add that component to the array?

• 4. Re: Error when adding objects dynamically to a TileList
                *Prashant Shelke* Level 4

If you will provide proper text here it will helpful to trac issue. Can you please provide your mxml here(if its just case study!) I suspect label to which you are assigning text is not initialized.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Error when adding objects dynamically to a TileList
                  Andre Brito Level 1

Hi Prashant Shelke,

Sorry about that.

I'll explain my problem again and there I'll post my MXML code. It's just a case study

There's a Panel (thePanel), with a TileList (theList) and its ControlBar with a Button: "Create new Thumb". When I press that Button, a TitleWindow (theEnterTheNameTitleWindow) appears, with a TextInput and a Button (theOkButton). After I type something in that TextInput, I click theOkButton and I want a new Thumb (theNewThumb) with the name I typed to get in the the TileList (through the ArrayCollection - theNewThumb is added to a array, and this array is the dataProvider of the TileList) (that means that theLabelOfTheThumb will be the String that I typed there).

I have, in the object that represents that theEnterTheNameTitleWindows that I said, a reference to the parent of this TitleWindow. I don't know if this is a good pratice (please, let me know), but I have to add theThumb in the ArrayCollection that is on the parent - thePanel (because that ArrayCollection is the dataProvider for the tileList, as I said before). So the method "processThings" above is what is called before "theOkButtonWasClicked".

Here's the piece of code that handles the "theOkButton was clicked Event":

private var parent : Panel;

public function processThings(theParent : Panel) : void

{

parent = theParent;

}

private function theOkButtonWasClicked() : void

{

if (textTypedIsCorrect() == true)

{

PopUpManager.removePopUp(this);

var name : String = textInputInTheWindow.text;

var theThumb : Thumb = new Thumb();

theThumb.TheName = name;

parent.addInTheArrayCollectionThatIsTheDataProvider(theThumb);

}

}

Ok.

The Thumb.mxml looks like this (the names have been changed, because it was all in portuguese):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<mx:HBox xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml" width="300" height="100"

horizontalGap="10" verticalAlign="middle" paddingLeft="10">

<mx:Script>

<![CDATA[

[Bindable]

private var theName : String = new String("Without a name");

public function get TheName() : String { return theName; }

public function set TheName(theNewName : String) : void { theName = theNewName;

]]>

</mx:Script>

<mx:HBox>     

<mx:Image id="theImage" source="@Embed('images/file.png')" width="70" height="54"/>

</mx:HBox>

<mx:Label id="theLabelOfTheThumb " fontSize="11" text="{this.TheName}"/>

</mx:HBox>

Ok, now I guess that there's some code that you guys can check it out

Thanks guys. BTW, I really would like some suggestions if you guys can't fix that... This problem is driving me crazy (I can't stop thinking about it - even when I'm not programming).

Bye!

Edited.

Hi guys. I guess I solved the problem (not in the way that I wanted, but it did). I was searching in TourDeFlex for this, and I saw that there's no itemRenderer in the use of the TileList. So I created an object, instead of that Thumb. And kinda worked very well

I don't know if this is simpler or faster or better (actually, guess it is faster, but there's the loss of the non-reusable Thumb), but it solved. If someone could say for me (if that was a good one) I would aprecciate it

If someone wanna try to solve using the Thumb, go for it. I was reading a few things about components creation, and I even implemented some overrided methods (extended from UIComponent) for creation, but it kinda did nothing (only stopped the erro from happening). I guess that there's a way that someone can solve using these things that I said.

Bye!

At last, but not least, I'm really sorry my english.