13 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2009 5:47 PM by rgmcmanys

Menu help

rgmcmanys

I have small slideshow that is about 12 minutes long. I made a meu and chose to use a still.  It is a graduation slideshow, so I just wanted his picture in cap and gown.  Since it is short, I do not need scene markers.  My question is, there is a gold line running though the still.  When I double click it plays slideshow, so I guessing this is some kind of menu marker.  I named the menu marker as play, but I could not figure a way to get it to print this, instead of the gold line.  Help please

• 1. Re: Menu help
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I am not clear by what you mean when you say there is "a gold line" running through the still.

Can you post a screen capture of what the menu looks like?

• 2. Re: Menu help
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Tell us a little more about how you created this Menu. Did you use an existing Menu Template and just replace the Background image, with the one of your choice? If so, which Menu Template did you use? I'll take a look at it and see which Buttons were on there. Could it be that the "gold line," that you see is that Button's Sub-picture Highlight, which would be visible, when the user navigates to that Button?

Steve's suggestion of doing a screen-cap and attaching that is a great one. That helps us to see exactly what you are seeing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Menu help
              rgmcmanys Level 1

Thanks everybody, I went to try and capture a screen shot and when I went to the preview screen and got the gold line, I looked real close and I could see some text, the problem was my picture is dark so that the text was not showing.  I changed it to blue and I could read play movie, the gold bar is still there and I guessing that is a button, maybe? I could not see a place to delete it or change colors.

The work thru I used was a chose a template that was in PE7, I think it was the broadway. Then I chose to use a still as a  background.

This must not be the best way to do this.  What would ya'll suggest.

I think I would always use the still, cause the templates are kinda corny!

I tried to capture a screen shot, but I must not know how, I pressed alt print screen and shift print screen and nothing happened except my cursor kept blinking.  Sorry

• 4. Re: Menu help

To do a screen capture, just press the Prt Scr key as you're holding the Alt key. Then paste this into a document in Photoshop (Ctrl+v) and save it as a JPEG. You'll then be able to attach it to your post using Attach Files, right below your message area.

• 5. Re: Menu help
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I'll take a look at the Broadway Menu Template.

As for the Screen-cap (and this does differ a bit by OS, keyboard, etc.) I hit Ctrl-PrtSc (Print Screen), to capture the display on my monitor to the Clipboard. I open Photoshop (substitute the image editor of choice here) and choose New. By default, the dimensions of the file in Clipboard will be used in my New Image in PS. I hit Ctrl-v (Paste) to get the image from the Clipboard. In Photoshop (PS), I will need to Flatten to collapse the Layers, then Save_As JPEG. This is the file that one attaches to the post. If I need to add arrows, text, etc., I'll do that before I Flatten the Layers.

Good luck, and I'll see what the Broadway Menu Template looks like. I assume that you are only using the Main Menu from the set. PE sees the Templates as a combo, with the Main Menu and a Scene Selection Menu, if one has Chapter Markers included on the Timeline.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Menu help
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry, but I do not have a Broadway Menu Template in PE4. Must have been added later. Still, I think that what you're likely seeing will be either a graphic element from the Menu Template, or the Sub-picture Highlight, though the latter should only be visible, when the user navigates to that Button.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Menu help
                      rgmcmanys Level 1

Here is my screen shot

• 8. Re: Menu help

Could that gold bar just be a highlight that shows up a DVD menus to show you what menu button is being selected?

Here's how to test it.

Add a scene marker to your movie. This will force the program to create a scene menu page.

Now, when you preview the main menu, does that gold bar move back and forth between the Play and the Scene Menu buttons?

• 9. Re: Menu help
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Your screen cap finally came out of queue. You beat me to the punch.

What you are seeing is the Sub-picture Highlight from one of the Buttons on the Menu. These are 2-bit images that signal the user that they have navigated to a Button. They always appear atop of any image on the Menu, regardless of where you have placed another image and the stacking order of the Button Layer Sets. It would be very easy for you to position your image, so that all Button text was underneath your image, but these would appear ontop of your image, when the Buttons were navigated to.

It sounds like you only want one Button, Play Movie. Is that correct? If so, you can remove all other Buttons by removing their Button Layer Sets - you've got to make sure that you are removing the entire Button Layer Set. You can leave one Button. In Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements, you can change the Text for that one Button to whatever you want, i.e. "Play Movie." Then, you can use the Move Tool (make sure that both the Button and it's Highlight Layer are selected) and drag the two elements to be positioned where you want them. Check to make sure that when the "eyeball" on the Sub-picture Highlight Layer is on, that it is positioned where you want it, and is properly sized to work with your Button's text. Then, turn off the "eyeball." This will allow the DVD player (either hardware, or software) to turn it on, when your Button is navigated to. With only one Button this will probably be on by default, but will let the user know that that Button is selected, and that it is a Button to access the movie.

From PS/PSE, you will want to Save_As to a sub-folder in the structure with your other Menu Templates. I have one called "Hunt DVD Menus," and have it in the same folder structure with all the rest of my Templates. Keep the .PSD format, but do give this file a name that makes sense to you, but uses the MM and SS designations, just as the original files had (See below). Also, use the underscore "_" instead of spaces, just to be safe. One last comment: PE does a lot of automatic stuff with the Menus. It also looks at the Menu Templates as a pair, a Main Menu (you'll see "MM" in the name) and a Scene Selection Sub-Menu to accompany the Main Menu (you'll see "SS" in that file's name). You will probably do best to also load up the corresponding Broadway Sub-Menu and do a Save_As and assign the Sub-Menu the same name as the Main Menu, with the exception of SS, in place of MM. Then, when you navigate to your DVD Menu folder, you should see both of these in the same highlight box. You will only be using the Main Menu for your DVD, but PE might want to see the corresponding Sub-Menu. Normally, PE will only use the Sub-Menu, when you have DVD Chapter Markers. It then produces the Sub-Menu to match up to the Chapter Markers, automatically. For it to do this with your Main Menu, it would also need a Button going to the Sub-Menu. PE automatically turns this Button off (makes it invisible) if only the Main Menu is needed. Because of all of this "automatic" Menu work, it pays to not deviate from the naming conventions, etc. too much, unless you know exactly what you're doing. Also, never Save (over) your Templates. Always do a Save_As and locate them in a different folder within the folder structure, just like all the rest, i.e. Entertainment, General, etc.

Here's my take on the Menu with "gold line."

Broadway Menu Gold Line 01.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Menu help
                            rgmcmanys Level 1

Hey Steve, I did put in a scene menu and the bar did not togle back and forth. I am attaching another screen shot,

as you can see when I click on the background and not highlight the play movie text, the gold line goes away.

I know you have great knowledge of menus with PE, I have read your forums in Muvpix too.  Is there a way to have just a still be your background for main menus, or must you alway pick a template and add the still that way.

Thanks with your patience with a newby.  Gaye

• 11. Re: Menu help
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Gaye,

The reason that you do not see the "gold bar," in this screen-cap is because the Button "Play Move" has not been navigated to. When it is, that "gold bar," which is the Sub-picutre Highlight of that Button, will show up. The "gold bar" is how the particular Button's Sub-picture Highlight was designed. This can be changed, within limitations. One, the Sub-picture Highlight must always be a 2-bit graphic. It can only be one of four colors (one being the background color), and it can have Transparency (think of this as the exact opposite of Opacity in PS/PSE). All of this is by the DVD-spec., and not a limitation of PE.

One can create their own Menus from scratch. However, there are warnings. The structure is very strict. One must know exactly what they are doing - both the how, and the why. Also, because so much regarding Menus is automated in PE, there are many more considerations, than if one was doing a Menu to be used in Adobe Encore. This automation, and the exact mechanics of it, are very important. That is why it's always better to start with a Menu Template and then customize it, as is needed. Even then, care must be exercised to make sure that the automatic features in PE are not compromised.

The Menus that are available on Muvipix have taken all of these aspects into consideration. Obviously, it's the same for the Menu Templates that ship/install with PE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Menu help
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Gaye,

Here is an example where I changed the Play Movie Button's Sub-picture Highlight from a gold line to a fleur de lis. I show how it would look, when that Button has been navigated to, plus I also show the open Layers Pallete with that Button's Layer Set expanded. You can see the Layer titled "(=1) highlight." That's what makes the Sub-picture Highlight. To use this Menu, you would turn that Layer's visibility to off, and let the DVD player turn it on, as was needed.

Broadway Menu Highlight 01.jpg

Hope that this helps explain what you're seeing.

Now, my question would be what do you want to have happen when that Button is navigated to?

Hunt

• 13. Re: Menu help
                                  rgmcmanys Level 1

Thanks Hunt for all your help. I have really learned a lot and it makes me want to learn more! Gaye