8 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2009 1:06 AM by Harm Millaard

Adobe Pr plugins in Matrox RT.X2

ArkaPro

Hello guys,

I want to upgrade my editing system and buy a video card.

I heard recomendations about the Matrox RT.X2

I work a lot with plugins (Red giant, trapcode, look suits etc)

I need a card that will help me render these plugins.

Is there any card that is able to do that?

I understood that the RT.X2 helps with rendering effects but only ones that are built in Premiere and AE,

Please help ASAP I'm in NY right now and want to buy it before I come back to Israel (where all of it is expensive)

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Adobe Pr plugins in Matrox RT.X2
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Don't buy a Matrox. Spend the money on a faster CPU, more memory and a better disk setup.

• 2. Re: Adobe Pr plugins in Matrox RT.X2
            Mark Morreau Adobe Community Professional

I like my RT.X2 just fine ! When it works it's great!

However, the RT.X2 will NOT accelerate any plugins or third-party effects, or even many of Premiere's native effects.

So in your case I would agree with Harm and second the suggestion of spending the money on speeding up your computer rather then on an RT.X2.

I don't know if any of the other solutions from vendors like Blackmagic or AJA will speed up the rendering and output of plug-ins, but the RT.X2 certainly does not.

HTH

Mark

• 3. Re: Adobe Pr plugins in Matrox RT.X2
              ArkaPro Level 1

So basicaly you are saying that there is no special hardware to accelarate the tidiuse rendering of plugins?

My specs:

CPU

INTEL QUAD Q6600 2.4Ghz "B3"
              TT Big Typhoon 120 VX

MOBO
              ASUS P5K DELUXE

RAM
              CORSAIR 8GB 2 TWIN2X4096-6400C5 (2GBX2) 800MHZ CL5

GPU
              ATI SAPPHIRE X1950XT 256MB

PSU
              Corsair HX520w

HDDs
              2 x 500GB W.D Caviar [WD5000AAKS]
              2 x 500GB Seagate Barracuda [ST3500630AS]

So what should I do?

Buy new i7 chip? MOBO graphics card and ddr3 ram?

Will it help to buy better graphics card?

faster clock on ram will help?

• 4. Re: Adobe Pr plugins in Matrox RT.X2
                Harm Millaard Level 7

That will give you the best performance gain, but don't buy a board with integrated graphics.

Not really, unless your editing involves a lot of rendering RedGiant effects, but beware the Magic Bullet Looks is still a 32 bit plugin.

No, that is just a waste of money. As long as your FSB remains the same, the faster memory will just throttle down to FSB speed.

• 5. Re: Adobe Pr plugins in Matrox RT.X2
                  joshtownsend Level 2

ArkaPro wrote:

So basicaly you are saying that there is no special hardware to accelarate the tidiuse rendering of plugins?

So what should I do?

Most important right now would be to get a newer graphics card with more Ram.

Most plug-in's like Looks, Boris, Colorista, Particular, all use GPU acceleration so a newer graphic card would help.

About the i7. Man that's up to you. Of course it's gonna be faster. But then again you could get a good CPUcooler and overclock the hell out of the processor or even buy 9550 or 9650 and you won't have to buy ram or a new motherboard. I'm guessing an i7 2.66 would give you 5-20% better performance depending on what your doing.

It's hard recommend much more without knowing what kind of footage your going to be editing and and how big the projects are. Are you using other programs along with Premiere like AE, Photoshop, soundbooth, 3d programs?

• 6. Re: Adobe Pr plugins in Matrox RT.X2
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Maybe you should have a look at this link: Contemplating a notebook?

This shows that a run-of-the-mill notebook with a 9550 is no comparison to a middle-of-the-road i7 workstation. A nearly 6-fold performance difference is very significant IMO.

BTW, your remark about snappier performance of Vista SP2 bears out. Same test with PassMark came out at 830, with SP1 at 790.

• 7. Re: Adobe Pr plugins in Matrox RT.X2
                      ArkaPro Level 1

Well I guess Im gonna wait with the purchase... and forget about the card.

Do my research for good i7 processor cool it, OC it to 3.5-4 Ghz - buy lots of RAM - and strong graphics card.

Most of my work is around - Premiere AE and Photoshop. all CS4 VISTA ULTIMATE 64BIT

still work in SD resolutions - but that may change later this year.

I use a lot of the Boris Continuum, trapcode, red giant filters and Magic bullet color look suits (that what mainly slows up my rendering).

Not really, unless your editing involves a lot of rendering RedGiant
                      effects, but beware the Magic Bullet Looks is still a 32 bit plugin.

What do you mean by that? so a good GPU wont help?

• 8. Re: Adobe Pr plugins in Matrox RT.X2
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

A good video card will help. My 'warning' has more to do with installing Looks. You have to install it in XP SP2+ compatibility mode.