Please tell us more about this one image. What are the dimensions in pixels of the image? Also, is it vertical, or horizontal? [Reason that I ask this, is that in Europe one writes the dimensions with vertical first, while in the US it's nearly always horizontal first - can get confusing.]
Next, tell us a bit about your Project. What Preset did you use, when you created it?
I think I have an easy solution for you, but want to make sure that I have the info, so I don't go prattling on about something that is not your issue.
PS a screen-cap of your Timeline with the offending still image, and the Program Monitor showing how it looks might help too. You can attach that to your post via the little "camera" icon on the editing page.
The document is the DV1 NTSC Preset, but I resized it to 300 dpi so it is 3000 by 2000 pixels and 10x6.667 inches. I flattened them all to psd docs. And on this one I tried making it a tiff to see if any difference.
Oops, just realized I meant to resize them all back when I flattened them in Bridge. However, all the files are made with the same exact preset template. Only one of them is doing this. I'll post once with the bridge screenshot and once w/ the photoshop one.
Interestingly, you'll see the tiff one I brought in looks like it will drop in fine, but when I do it magically changes to this masked format.
It looks like your Alpha Channel (used to create the Ellipse knockout) is coming in and obscuring the background image. I do my Exports before Import into Premiere directly from PS. While I may have an Alpha Channel in my PSD, when I Import as Footage w/ Flattened Layers, the Alpha Channel is not used. If I wish to use it, I'll Import_As_Sequence (in PrPro) and then get a Timeline with all Layers separate.
If the PSD's are coming into PE with the Alpha Channel, try deleting any Alpha Channel, before you Flatten. If you are using this as a Layer Mask (the way that I'd do it), definitely do a Save with all Layers, Alpha Channels and Paths, then remove any un-used Paths and Alpha Channels, Flatten and do a Save_As using PSD and changing the name, say to Image_001_Flatten.PSD, or similar. Import that.
Last, when working with still images, you will be best served if you re-size to the frame size of your Project in PS, before you Import. The re-sizing algorithms in PS are better than those in PE, or PrPro in my opinion. Also, you will not have the overhead of working with large stills. This can cause no end to problems with resources and can even lead to all black, or all green display in the NLE program. If you plan on panning on a zoomed out image, it'll be bigger than your frame size, but should be just barely big enough to do your pans. Steve Grisetti recommends 1000x750 as the max size. That is a very good figure to use as the max. I re-size to exactly what I will use, so most of my stills are smaller than that. Let PS do this re-sizing for you, as you will improve the final output by some degree.
If the Alpha Channel is still a problem, after using my Flatten and Save_As method above, attach one of your .PSD's (in finished form, just before you Import) and e-mail it to me. My e'dress is in my Adobe profile. I'll be glad to study it for you, and find the exact problem. Also, try the re-sizing. In PS I have an Action to do the re-sizing, usually to NTSC DVD 4:3 specs., and just do a Batch Process on a folder full of stills. I can process 100+ files in moments. Then, I Import into Premiere.
If I knew you in real life I'd buy you a bottle of wine. thanks so much, it was an Alpha channel. But, I didn't knowingly create it. I checked the two purchased frame graphics and neither had an Alpha channel so I must have done it when I knocked out the background of the baby picture before I rotated it.
It came into Premiere fine this time.
I'm going to post a separate question on creating the workflow action to export/import...just so I can call this "answered."
Thanks so much.
1 person found this helpful
That is great news. I'd guess that the Alpha Channel came from the stock image and was used as a Layer Mask (the name for a Selection/Alpha Channel, when used in non-destructive editing in PS). You probably never even saw it. If I'm on my laptop with that measley 17" screen, I keep my Layers and my Channel Palettes ganged. I often miss little details like this. On the workstation, I have all Palettes open and visible on my second 21" monitor. Things like this have less of a chance of getting past me.
I saw your other post, and have already commented on it. Remember, what I wrote was my personal workflow. It's based on the Assets that I most often work with. For decades, all of my work was for ad agencies and design facilities, so I had a print-based workflow. I just adapted a bit of that, when I began to do Video, but so far, it has worked perfectly.
Good luck and thanks for letting us know the cause and the cure.