9 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2009 6:11 AM by the_wine_snob

SImple Question. Moving a track to a different one?

Rich_P7 Level 1

Hello. I just started a new video. I dragged the video into the box on the scene line view. I then went to the Timeline view and the video was in Video 4. I wanted it to be in Video 1 - because I like to see the soundtrack right nearby. I can't seem to move it to any of the other tracks. I have tried dragging it down to Video 1 - but then it puts it in Video 5 ?!? - not sure why. How can i  move it to video 1? Thank you.

• 1. Re: SImple Question. Moving a track to a different one?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Is your source footage perhaps AVCHD with 5.1 Audio? Also, what is your Project Preset?

Thanks,

Hunt

PS Alt-click on the Video Clip in the Timeline, to unlink it from its Audio. Can you now move it to Video Track 1?

• 2. Re: SImple Question. Moving a track to a different one?
            Rich_P7 Level 1

Yes it is 5.1 audio. Can you only have that in Video/audio 4+ then? It sounds a bit quiter than usual. Is 5.1 audio always like that? Yes I can move it if I unlink it.

Bit upset now. lol. I can no longer import any video into my project. It just crashes Premiere. I have even restarted the computer and tried with a new project! Do you think that I need to re-install Premiere Elements? maybe using 5.1 audio caused it problems?

Thank you.

• 3. Re: SImple Question. Moving a track to a different one?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Rich,

Yes, PE7 wants 5.1 Audio on Track 4. Unlinking and moving the Video is the best you can do. Is your Project set up with the AVCHD 5.1 Preset? That could be an issue, if not.

As for the crashes, please tell us all about your system. Editing AVCHD on anything but a state-of-the-art quad, or dual quad system is tough, at best. Crashes can be very common on a stressed system. The more detail that you can give will help. Let's see if this is the cause, before any uninstall/reinstall. Audio in 5.1 format should not cause crashes, if all else is good.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: SImple Question. Moving a track to a different one?
                Paul_LS Level 4

As Hunt says, you should start with one of the AVCHD 5.1 audio project presets... your 5.1 audio clips will then go to track 1. If you then add a stereo clip it will be added to track 4. The first three tracks are reserved for the project prest audio type.

• 5. Re: SImple Question. Moving a track to a different one?
                  Rich_P7 Level 1

Thnak you. Its working again today, maybe the computer needed a rest. I'm not sure about what project preset to choose. Its in 5.1 audio but it is not a high def video. The only options I could see when making a new project for 5.1 involved 1080i. What do you think I should choose?

My comp is a Dell XPS M1530 laptop

Core (TM) 2 Duo CPU 9300 @ 2.50 GHz

4 GB memory

It has Vista

I like to use a laptop so I can move rooms.

• 6. Re: SImple Question. Moving a track to a different one?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Rich,

Do not have a direct answer for your observations. Maybe Paul_LS, or Steve, or someone else will.

One thing that you might find useful, is the Delete Empty Tracks function. Once you have things set up as you like them, this will clear out unused Audio and Video Tracks, with the exception of the Narration and the Soundtrack Audio Tracks. They are constants.

My normal preference for a new Sequence (in PrPro only) is to have 3 Video Tracks, 2 mono Audio Tracks, 3 stereo Audio Tracks and a 5.1 Master Audio Track. Once I get into editing, I'll use Delete Unused Tracks to clean up the specific Timeline a bit. Premiere will just create new Tracks, as is necessary. Now, the layout of Tracks in the Timeline is different in PrPro (more like PE3's layout), so I have a different "look" to begin with. I just like to keep things neat, and only have what I am actually working with showing. I also rename all of my Video and Audio Tracks to reflect what is actually on them, i.e. names like "AV Audio," "Music Front," "Music Rear," SFX 1 Mono," things like that. Not sure how PE7 handles the Renaming of Tracks, if at all.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: SImple Question. Moving a track to a different one?
                      Paul_LS Level 4

If it is not AVCHD you need to work with a standard definition project, unfortunately there are no 5.1 audio standard project presets. Your clip will go to track 4, however you can select to delete tracks 2 and 3 (right click on tracks and select Delete Empty Tracks). This will "tidy up" the timeline view.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: SImple Question. Moving a track to a different one?
                        Rich_P7 Level 1

Ok thank you. The project is progressing nicely now. I am just keeping the audio on Audio 4 and I have moved the video down so its near the soundtrack. Its really annoying though that when I edit the video it chops the soundtrack up. Is there a way to 'unlink' it from the video? The soundtrack in my case is just a seperate song I have added. I just want it to stay whole and in place - regardless of what I do to the video. It does seem a bit strange that Premiere does this.

• 9. Re: SImple Question. Moving a track to a different one?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

If you wish to just cut one Track, Video (VT) or Audio (AT), you can Atl-click on the Clip, say on the VT, so that no Audio is linked to it. Then use the method of choice to make your cuts. Be a bit careful, when doing this, as if you Delete and Close Gap, no Gap will be closed, if you have continuous Audio (or Video on another VT), If you have a song on, say the Soundtrack, unless you have specifically linked it to material on your Video Tracks, it should not be cut.

Good luck,

Hunt