3 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2009 3:25 PM by pixlor

How do I create a portfolio with rotating images?

LNgraphics

I'm new to web design and I'm creating my first website for my graphic design business.  I'm using CS4.  I want to have a portfolio page so that one sample of work will be displayed at a time (logos, brochures, etc.), and there will be a left and right arrow (button) to navigate through several design samples.  I also want to be able to click on the small image and have it open up larger in a separate window.  Can someone explain the best way to do this?

• 1. Re: How do I create a portfolio with rotating images?
          Panos Zygopoulos

Hi LNgraphics

I don't believe that fireworks suites you for what you want to achieve. Of course you can use fireworks to design or create a prototype so you can see some ideas coming alive, at least as images and not a completed web site.

Maybe you could use javascript. Or create a simple web site with html and css.

As  for the images, use the small images for your presentation and make them hyperlinks to the big ones.

And, inside fireworks go to commands > create slideshow and take a look at the already created slideshow templates.

• 2. Re: How do I create a portfolio with rotating images?
            LNgraphics Level 1

I'm following the advice of an associate who is a web designer ... he said to create the site in Fireworks and export it into Dreamweaver.  I'm just not sure how to do the portfolio samples.

• 3. Re: How do I create a portfolio with rotating images?
              pixlor Level 4

LNgraphics wrote:

I'm following the advice of an associate who is a web designer ... he said to create the site in Fireworks and export it into Dreamweaver.  I'm just not sure how to do the portfolio samples.

Your associate has given you bad advice. Even if you wanted to do a simple HTML site, exporting a design from Fireworks to import into Dreamweaver is not the best workflow. Fireworks is a graphics application. The functionality to export HTML is intended for prototypes. The HTML you get is fragile and very difficult to maintain. If you export CSS markup, then you will still need to know HTML and CSS in order to continue the development of your design in Dreamweaver. You are far better off using Firworks to produce first a layout/mockup of your design, then the images needed for the site. From there, you should develop the site - from scratch - in Dreamweaver.

That said, neither Fireworks nor Dreamweaver have the ability to produce the functionality you describe with a few clicks of drop down menus. What you describe needs some kind of advanced coding. Fireworks does not have anything like it.

From here, then, I recommend you look into pre-built photo galleries, and see if there isn't one that will work well enough for you. I've used Lightbox 2 (JavaScript) and SimpleViewer (Flash). They both have pros and cons, but both are quite easy to implement (especially SimpleViewer).

Use your favorite search engine to look for these two phrases:

• javascript photo gallery
              • flash photo gallery