4 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2009 1:03 AM by Mylenium

Keylight - Using a saved preset makes the enire layer transparent

CantonVideoMan Level 1

Hi,

I am working on a project where I have approx 50 short clips all shot in front of a green screen (all at the same shoot). After tweeking all of my Keylight settings I saved it as an animation preset. If I add Keylight to any of the other clips and then select the preset I just saved the entire clip becomes transparent (Actor and all). If I go back to the original and apply the preset, same results, EVERYTHING becomes transparent.

I also tried selecting keylight in the effects control window and copying it (ctrl+C) and then selecting another clip and pasting (ctrl+V). I get the same result, everything in the clip becomes transparent.

If I apply the settings manually one by one they key looks fantastic. After applying the settings manually on a new clip I tried the process again (saving as another preset) the moment I apply it to any of the other clips and even the clip is was based on the whole clip goes transparent.

I have tried to reboot and restart the AE application same result. I just did another green screen project a few weeks back and I know I was able to copy and paste the keylight effect from clip to clip without this problem.

I certainly don't want to manually apply every adjustment manually for 50 plus clips. Has anyone seen this before?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Bob

• 1. Re: Keylight - Using a saved preset makes the enire layer transparent
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Bob, are you sure you actually saved all parameters correctly? Did you use the UU key to reveal all modified parameters, selected those properties and then saved the preset or used copy&paste, respectively? This may be the problem, as oftentimes merely selecting the effect itself will not bring over the property values. Also, even if the parameters are right, you may need to manually pick the key color again. Sometimes Keylight will not react simply because of that, which I believe is actually by design to avoid problems on other ends....

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Keylight - Using a saved preset makes the enire layer transparent
            CantonVideoMan Level 1

Hi Mylenium,

What I did was to edit all of my parameters in Keylight, then went to the Animation Presets drop down box and selected "Save selected as Animation preset". The "Copy and Past I Did was only a 2nd "test" since the preset failed. In that case I modified all my parameters, selected Keylight in the effects Controls window, copied (ctrl+C) and went to a new composition, selected the layer with my clip and pasted (ctrl+V). both tests had the same results.

I ten went through every parameter I changed 1 by one an compared them with a copied one and with a pasted one. As far as I can tell all 3 were identical. Now here's where it gets stranger. I just applied keylight to another composition, used the save preset and it worked like a charm. So I went on to the next and the problem came back :-(

I'll try saving the preset as you suggested and see how it goes.

Thanks for the quick feedback as always.

Regards,

Bob

• 3. Re: Keylight - Using a saved preset makes the enire layer transparent
              CantonVideoMan Level 1

Hi Mylenium,

I tried using the "UU Method" you describe below with the same results. But, your method revealed the problem.

Get a load of this....if I apply the preset to a clip where it works as expected, I check the changed parameters using UU. The parameters are exactly what I expect and are identical to the settings I used to create the preset. Now I do the same thing to another clip where the whole screen becomes transparent (including the actor). I check the changed parameters using UU and the settings changed are all identical...BUT there are two changes that I did NOT make that are suddenly there. Inside Mask and Outside mask are suddenly changed to MASK1. I have no idea why it changed in some and not the others.

At least with your method I was able to identify the problem and make quicker work using my preset and just changing the inside and outside mask settings when they were changed.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

• 4. Re: Keylight - Using a saved preset makes the enire layer transparent
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Ah, I see. Yes, Mask references are unfortunately a bit critical. They need always to be in the same order and have the same names on each layer for this to work, otherwise the control will simply be reset to the first mask on the layer. Glad you could track down the problem.

Mylenium