8 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2009 8:19 PM by the_wine_snob

Adobe Encore CS3 resets computer during import

jeffareid

While trying to import a 630 MB .M2V created by Premiere CS3, it stops processing the file and then the estimated time starts incrementing about 1.5 seconds or more per acutal elapsed second, and eventually the computer just resets.

• 1. Re: Adobe Encore CS3 resets computer during import
          the_wine_snob Level 9

There are three main causes of a systemic crash:

1.) heat

2.) power supply

3.) MoBo problems

You might want to download and install Speedfan an monitor it closely. Also, more efficient fans are better. Speedfan will help you tell where your fans need to be added.

Check your power supply. Harm Millard posted several articles on setting up one's system. This is a LINK to all three of his hardware posts. It's in the PrElements forum, but leads back to the PrPro fora.

MoBo issues can be a bit tougher to track down.

First place that I'd look would be Event Viewer and look closely at the System and Application tabs. Any clues there? Look for yellow "warnings," and red "errors."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Adobe Encore CS3 resets computer during import
            jeffareid Level 1

I re-encoded the video with Premiere CS3 using a slightly different set of parameters and that solved the problem.

• 3. Re: Adobe Encore CS3 resets computer during import
              the_wine_snob Level 9

That is good news. I have yet to see encoding parameters cause a systemic crash. Do you happen to recall which format and the parameters that you were using, when this happened? That info might help someone else down the line. Thanks for reporting.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Adobe Encore CS3 resets computer during import
                jeffareid Level 1

The source was 1280x720p from a DVR, converted to mpeg by VideoReDoPlus. The problematic parameters were DVD-Widescreen Progressive High Quality, with the VBR params changed to 6 minimum, 8 average, 9 maximum. Switching the video to CBR 8 (mega-bits / second) solved this particular problem.

On a related note, Premeire would crash when I had a video and audio transition at the end of the clip to output. I removed the transitions and it worked. The transitions haven't been a problem with other clips, but this one is big, a 7GB source.

• 5. Re: Adobe Encore CS3 resets computer during import
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting. Thanks for reporting. That info will likely help someone else with the same, or similar problem. At least they'll now know things to look out for.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Adobe Encore CS3 resets computer during import
                    jeffareid Level 1

The problem is apparently my system. I have an older system and it seems to run there, so I assume somethings wrong with my system, No way to tell what component is failing, and since it's a D975XBX motherboard, 775 socket but not compatabile with newer 775 socket cpu's I'd be replacing a lot of stuff. Will just use the other system for the larger projects now.

• 7. Re: Adobe Encore CS3 resets computer during import
                      BedtymeBear Level 2

When I've had my compression settings cause my computer to reboot (blue screen) in the past, which happened twice total on two different computers, I fixed it on one my updating my video card drivers (nvidia) on one and by updating my integrated sound drivers (realtek) on the other. So, maybe to avoid it in the future, go to the websites of the manufacturers of your video and audio hardware and get the latest drivers.

• 8. Re: Adobe Encore CS3 resets computer during import
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting. While I've seen drivers, both Audio & Video, cause all sorts of issues, I've not heard of a BSOD situation. Thanks for posting.

I do strongly recommend that one keep these two sets of drivers updated religiously. Many OS updates (most happen in the background and users do not usually even know that they are being applies) will render both the Audio & Video drivers obsolete in a heartbeat.

When someone posts that their system worked one day, but not the next, this is usually the first thing that I'll recommend. In very many cases, what changed was a simple MS update, and no one was even aware that it was happening. That is one reason that I have all updates set to full manual, with only notification of availability. I want to know when something is possibly going to require additional intervention, like updating all drivers.

I also have every computer set up to NOT reboot on error. I want to see the BSOD and take any notes that might yield even a clue as to what happened. Unfortunatley, most of the data presented is stuff that even MS's coders cannot figure out.

When someone is experiencing big problems, this VIDEO will offer some tips, some utility recs. and maybe some insight into how best to troubleshoot. There are also some subtle laughs along the way. Warning, it's long and does have a lot of tech-speak. Not for the technically challenged.

Thanks for posting,

Hunt