11 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2009 6:12 AM by Peru Bob

Not a technical question just a poll on transitions for slides

hnester

I'm curious, if you were building a slide show dvd with transitions between still slides and you were using Prmiere Elements....what are your favorite transitions, which ones do you use together, and why?

I'm self taught and I'd like to get some opinions. Are you a basic page peel kind of guy/girl? Do you like disolves only? How many different transitions would you use in a 30 slide show and which ones do you think go well together?

Thanks for playing along!

Holly

• 1. Re: Not a technical question just a poll on transitions for slides
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Holly,

I'll "play along." I come from a cine background, so 99.9% of what is available was not there, when I began many decades ago. However, the But-cut, the Dip-to-Black (was called Fade-to-Black way back then) and the Cross-Dissolve are my favs, and are the ones that I use mostly. Obviously, a Butt-cut will not work well in a SlideShow for obvious reasons. Way back when, I paid several thousand dollars (1970's $'s) for a Leica slide projector that featured dual trays and would do Lap-Dissolves between the slides. Later, I learned to program up to 24 projectors to do special visual tricks with slides, that were produced specifically for their placement in the SlideShow. This sets MY stage.

Now, I do use other Transitions in both SlideShows and in Video editing. I look at what I have, or can create and find a "theme," for the footage or images. If I want to create tension, I'll go with something that is a bit jarring, or mysterious. If I'm working on a school/library themed piece, then the old saw, Page-Turn might be used. If I'm doing something "dreamy," then I might de-focus and re-focus between images, with a bit of soft white involved. Though I have hundreds of Transitions, and the ability to build an infinite number of others, I use the same few, unless I can find a good, thematic reason to change.

In general, I do not want any Transition to call attention to itself, but seem to be an integral part of the piece. Yes, a bit of edginess in the right place is OK with me, but the last thing that I want is my audience say, "neat SlideShow. How did you create those zippy Transitions?" I'd rather them say, "wow, those images were exciting. Loved it all."

Just my humble opinion,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Not a technical question just a poll on transitions for slides
            hnester Level 1

Thanks for playing. Great insight.

My favorite transition is the Gradient Wipe. To be honest there really isn't another I like besides the Twirl and maybe the turning cube. I think I'm going to use only the Gradient Wipe for the current project. I wish there were more like it...it is just so nice and smooth. The fades to white/black/halos in Elements are still a bit distracting for me, maybe it is just the preview and if I'd go ahead and burn it to DVD I'd like it on the TV? I like the Iris transitions, but they are a little sharp for me.

I'm wondering if an upgrade to Pro would give me more that I like or just a whole lot more transitions I don't like. So, I thought I'd hear what others like.

Holly

• 3. Re: Not a technical question just a poll on transitions for slides
              the_wine_snob Level 9

With the addition of any Transistion, you should do a forced Render (hit the Enter botton*) to judge any aspect of it. You should have a red line above any Transition added, as well as any Effect added.

Hunt

* You can limit your Renders to just the area of the Transition with the Work Area Bar (WAB) so you do not have to Render the full Timeline.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Not a technical question just a poll on transitions for slides
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I want people to notice the slides -- not the transitions.

That's why I always use the cross dissolve. It's the least intrusive transition.

• 5. Re: Not a technical question just a poll on transitions for slides
                  Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

And experiment with different options:

end at cut, center at cut, and start at cut

to obtain the smoothest transition.

• 6. Re: Not a technical question just a poll on transitions for slides
                    N9JCR Level 2

I'm in agreement - I've done about 50 projects in PrEl and if I used anything other than cross dissolve, it's been for a very specific effect and could probably count the times on one hand.  This is true for video work too, not just slide shows.

Bob

• 7. Re: Not a technical question just a poll on transitions for slides
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

There is a standing joke on the PrPro forum that each editor can only use the Page Curl Transition ONCE, and then it just disappears from the Effects folder.

I actually got two uses out of mine...

Hunt

• 8. Re: Not a technical question just a poll on transitions for slides
                        hnester Level 1

And experiment with different options:

end at cut, center at cut, and start at cut

to obtain the smoothest transition.

Can you elaborate on this a little more? Is it a feature in PE that you use with cross dissolve?

I finished a video last night and restrained myself to 100% gradient wipe (with 85% on smooth) and it was really refreshing to not stress over the right way to use the transitions. I've always heard to use them in moderation. I still don't like a little "jump" feeling right before the transition ends...but I get that with cross disolve too.

Holly

• 9. Re: Not a technical question just a poll on transitions for slides
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Holly,

I'm not 100% sure what Peru Bob means with that comment. My guess would be that he's talking about sliding the Transition to be a bit quicker on one end. i.e. on one Clip, that the other. We'll have to let him weigh-in to be certain.

Of the "other" Transitions, I probably use some form of Gradient Wipe more than the rest, after the ones that I mentioned above. Though, as I said in an earlier post to this thread, I do a bit more, if I'm doing something like a "dream sequence." For one Project some years back, I had about 200 "dream sequences," and besides all of the Effects used to create their footage, I built a Transition in Pixelan Spice Master to fit the mood and the subject. Most of these were used to transition into the sequences, as they basically did a PiP thing with the background footage - a pair of young sisters in school, "dreaming" about their lives, as they grew up. Since I had over 400 of these, I guess that they rank up there on my list.

Hunt, waiting for Peru Bob to clarify...

• 10. Re: Not a technical question just a poll on transitions for slides
                            junoflydog Level 1

I think it really depends on the application.  If it is set to music, slow music would want slow cross fades, fast music quicker fades, cuts, zooms and the such.

I can not stand watching the "Let's see how many twirly Power Point type transitions I can use" in videos (or during Power Point presentations).

I think what is more important to give a professional look is to have each slide have a little "Ken Burns effect" or Pan-and-Scan motion.  Even very little zoom or motion that is hardly noticed gives it a finished look.

I had one project on a very short deadline where I only had time to pick the slides and place them to music.  It looked "flat" or un inspired even though it captured the events and was appreciated.  It was going to be shown a week later as well, so I put each slide to motion.  The difference is amazing.  For example, if there is a photo of 2-3 people and you do a slight zoom towards one's face, the focus is on that person even though you can still see the others in the shot.

I did another project where the music had a hard beat every 1.5 seconds.  The "hard" transitions and zooms were timed to the beat.  One transition did a quick 8 frame zoom to part of a photo that was covered by the next photo.  I cut to the next photo already zoomed into the same area, then quickly zoomed out.  It still looked a little flat until I added just a little pan motion before and after the transition.  One would be hard pressed to realize that was two photos not just one.

Scott

• 11. Re: Not a technical question just a poll on transitions for slides
                              Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

At least in version 3:

In the properties panel, you can choose where the transition starts and ends.  In other words: "Start at cut" means that it will start the transition at the junction of the two clips, "center at cut" means that it will start the transition before the junction and be centered at the junction, and "end at cut" means that it will start the transition before the junction and end at the junction.  You can also put the transition at any point manually, either by dragging it in the timeline or via the properties panel.

You may need to be working in timeline, not scenline, to have this available.