5 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2009 3:27 AM by Mylenium

Unable to change destination folder in Render Queue

mikeklar Level 1

Having worked and completed a lengthy project I now cannot change the destination folder for a new project.  Render Output will only allow files to be added to the previously used folder.

Worse still, moving the rendered file to another folder causes After Effects to bring up a message that the new folder cannot be found.

I'm sure there is a simple answer, but I'm stumped...

Can anyone help me?

Cheers

Michael

• 1. Re: Unable to change destination folder in Render Queue
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What operating system? To what location were you/ are you saving? Is perhaps the network offline or has an authorization problem? Did you render to a folder with insufficient permissions? Did you pre-render elements and then used the Replace Usage option? Is another program accessing files used in the project? Please provide more info.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Unable to change destination folder in Render Queue
            mikeklar Level 1

Thank you for responding.

The operating system is Vista x64, SP1, with 8GB of RAM.

The location used for the previous project is on the same drive where the new project resides, but in a different folder.  Said drive has more than 800GB of free space.

No files from any previous projects on this machine are being used with this new project.

Other programs used with this project were Illustrator, Flash and Bridge.  Also, Outlook and Internet Explorer were open all the time.

Regarding pre-rendering, if you mean viewing my work as it progressed in RAM then the answer is yes.

Regarding "Replace Usage" option, I'm not familiar with that one.

Admitedly, I am not an expert with After Effects.  However having used this program for the past 3 months I can't remember running into this issue.  The last project took me a couple of weeks to complete and that is where "Render" is now force-placing the file.

I don't have a problem starting over again as this project took only a couple of hours to complete, but it would be good to know why this is happening.  As well ensuring I don't run into this issue again and or be able to have a "work-around" method.

There is one more issue not mentioned before, the rendered AVI file (more than 1GB in size) does not include the sound track.  This has happened before, but only with AVI files.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

Michael

• 3. Re: Unable to change destination folder in Render Queue

Mmh, this sounds extremely odd. Non-Adobe programs have no influence on the matter, I was more thinking of other Adobe tools e.g. for copy&pasting paths from PS or AI or editing PSDs in PS while they are part of an AE project. This sometimes causes references to point to invalid temporary locations. This doesn't seem to be the case, though. Pre-rendering is sometimes used to boost interactive performance on complex projects, replace usage refers to replacing compositions with movie clips for a similar reason. There's an option for it on the render queue and in teh file menu. Anyway, it's still unclear what is going on. Therefore I can only offer the usual standard answers:

- check your prefs and clean out your disk and media cache, if you use it - well possible, that one of your media files needs to be conformed by AE and therefore the temporary cache is locked to specific directories (othzerwise AE would not be able to use those files or had to recreate them)

- use CCleaner to clean out your system's temporary directories - when things ar clogged up, fiel dioalogs may not even be able to access required resources

- as a last resort, completely trash the prefs (C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Application Data\Adobe\After Effects\)

Regarding audio getting lost: Seems possible that this could be related to my first comment. Compressed formats often require conforming and while they may work during RAM previews, may be troublesome during final rendering. if that's the case, converting such files externalyl to WAVs would be advisable...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Unable to change destination folder in Render Queue
                mikeklar Level 1

Thank you again for your prompt response.

Unfortunately, I seem to be locked out of the "Application Data"  folder in spite of having administration rights.  However, based on your comments I decided to change the folder name to which After Effects' Render seemed to be locked onto.

This solved the problem and to be certain I exited After Effects and restarted it, then choose Composition add to Render Queue and changed several settings as well as a new location for the video file and it worked again  :-)

Also, the audio now plays without issues.

I appreciate your efforts in helping me, had it not been for your suggestions it might have taken a lot longer to try this process.

Cheers,

Michael

• 5. Re: Unable to change destination folder in Render Queue

Glad my mumbling helped at least a tiny bit.

Mylenium