4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2010 2:30 AM by Eng.Belal

FLA file is way too big, please help.

Missing Code Level 1

My FLA file is at 103.9 MB in size! The SWF is only 160 KB. I can't seem to find out what is causing this, but if

someone knows, then please tell me.

I made a small sample of a turret simulation (100 lines of code including whitespace). Included in the library I have

a small (under 40x40) tower, bullet, and monster that were made in Flash. I have a background that is the size of

the app (640x480), one color, also made in Flash. And then I have 3 sounds. 2 are 1 sec or less, and are in mp3

and wav format (12 KB and 4 KB). And then I have a final MP3 that is 1.2 MB for the background music.

Well, I figured it might be the big MP3, so I ditched it. No change in file size! I checked my library for extra files,

but there is nothing. Anyone have a suggestion?

For the record I am running Flash CS3 on a Mac OSX 10.5

Thanks for any help you can provide.

• 1. Re: FLA file is way too big, please help.
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, try using Save and Compact.  This eliminates the historical information from the file.  If you added and deleted content, Flash still likes to hang on to the memories of it, so using Save and Compact is a brainwashing process.

If you don't realize much in the way of savings doing that, you may want to try recreating the file via copying the timeline into a new file.

Also, if you have unused stuff in the library, getting rid of it will trim the file size down as well.

While the swf file will normally reflect the fileweight of the content you have in it, the fla will always be larger than life, but the 103 MB is larger than that, so you are likely just carrying alot of excess baggage.

• 2. Re: FLA file is way too big, please help.
            Missing Code Level 1

The "Save and Compact" option worked great, and reduced my file size to 13.9 MB. Unfortunately, this did not seem to

fully shrink the file, so I guess I will try your other advice and just put everything in a new file. Thanks.

• 3. Re: FLA file is way too big, please help.
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're welcome.  Don't sweat the fla file size too much... While it's good to keep it fit and trim, the swf is the one that really matters.

• 4. Re: FLA file is way too big, please help.
                Eng.Belal

hello guys

I have realy problem I work with big file  FLA (11.5 mb) - 1740*1595 pixel for stage

with many instance of objects from Library

when  I test Movie or publish the Flash crashed and don't continue

can  you help me please.