1 2 Previous Next 45 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2009 7:31 PM by the_wine_snob

Will It Be Today!?

mustbebelize Level 1

What do you all think?  Will 4.1 be available today?  I'm like an excited little kid waiting for his Christmas present, but Christmas is several days away and who knows if I've been good or bad!

I've been using Premiere for about 13 or more years.  And before that I used 3/4 inch tape to tape editing systems.  I've toyed with AVID, Final Cut Pro and other editing systems when my frustration levels increased on Premiere, but I always kept coming back.  It's like my native language or something.  Maybe I have an obessesive/compulsive complex with Premiere and don't realize it.

Nonetheless, 4.1 will for the first time run on the 64bit system - that is amazing!  It's like your hardened arteries will get a blood thinner and the oxygen will finally get to your brain!

Today, tomorrow, this weekend?  I can barely stand it!

• 1. Re: Will It Be Today!?
          Eric Addison User Group Manager

I think it'll be today or tomorrow, but then - it could be next week!

mustbebelize wrote:

Nonetheless, 4.1 will for the first time run on the 64bit system - that is amazing!  It's like your hardened arteries will get a blood thinner and the oxygen will finally get to your brain!

The current version of PPro CS4 runs with Vista64 - you don't need the 4.1 update for that.

• 2. Re: Will It Be Today!?
            mustbebelize Level 1

"The current version of PPro CS4 runs with Vista64 - you don't need the 4.1 update for that."

While the entire master suite cs4 will run on the 64bit system, only Photoshop currently takes advantage or runs natively on the 64bit system.  Open your system drive and look at the program folder.  There'll be two:  one native 64bit and the other will have the (x86) next to it.  You'll find premiere and the other suite applications in the (x86) folder which means it's only operating as a 32bit application on a 64bit system.

At a post-NAB workshop I attended, the Adobe representative claimed that 4.1 would run natively on 64bit.  So let's see.

• 3. Re: Will It Be Today!?

Right - I know it's a 32bit app, but it runs better of a 64bit OS.

At a post-NAB workshop I attended, the Adobe representative claimed that 4.1 would run natively on 64bit.  So let's see.

Really - so, you're saying that the update transforms the 32bit app into a 64 bit app? I thought it would just run better on a  64bit OS...

• 4. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                mustbebelize Level 1

"Really - so, you're saying that the update transforms the 32bit app into a 64 bit app? I thought it would just run better on a  64bit OS..."

Yes, that is my understanding.  The update will transform the 32bit app into a 64bit app.  If it doesn't, I'll be disappointed and have to wait for CS5 which is when the entire suite will go to 64bit.

And, yes, the 32bit does run better on the 64bit system since memory and system resources are better allocated while running multiple applications.  However, the individual application's ability to access memory and system resources is still limited. Hence when running Pemiere and using the title application (within pemiere), it is still sluggish.  4.1 should resolve that if it is indeed an upgrade to native 64bit.

• 5. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                  Eddie Lotter Level 4

I'll be disappointed

I'm sorry that you set yourself up for disappointment, but there was no announcement that I know of that said 4.1 would transform PPro into a 64-bit application.

Adobe's resources are limited and it appears to me that PPro gets the smallest chunk of those resources compared to other Adobe projects, but I recognise that that is conjecture on my part. My point is, only things that are possible within the contraints of available resources can be accomplished. Going 64-bit is not as simple as throwing a switch in the compiler.

Cheers
                  Eddie

• 6. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                    PedroAlberto Level 1

I still have faith in Adobe FIXING all the errors in CS4.

But if not, I am buying Sony Vegas Pro 9. That is natively 64-bit.

Simon

• 7. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                      Curt Wrigley Level 4

mustbebelize wrote:

Im fairly certain you missunderstood.  Or the "adobe rep" perhaps misscommunicated.    A complete re-write to 64 bit native is a bit aggressive for a .1 patch.

But that doesnt mean the update doesnt contain perfomance improvements.  The video posted here certainly elludes to that.

• 8. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                        TL2121 Level 1

Belize

your enthusiasm is admirable- maybe you're in Belize right now and that's contributing to it. Anyways I also hope they release it today, I saw a post earlier this morning about a link to 4.1 but that post is oddly no longer around the forum.- Weird

Anyways I hope they took into consideration HDV playback on lesser Dual core processors as I have- The HDV playback in PPro2.0 was surprisingly good, but the PProCS4 HDV playback on the same machine is very choppy even on draft quality playback. I'll join you in optimistically keeping my fingers crossed

Here's to hoping all the bugs get ironed out sooner than later

TL

• 9. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                          mustbebelize Level 1

"Im fairly certain you missunderstood.  Or the "adobe rep" perhaps misscommunicated.    A complete re-write to 64 bit native is a bit aggressive for a .1 patch."

I'm a visual designer not a programmer, but it would appear that a "re-write" would not be necessary to switch to 64bit.  If the software is written for future development - and I believe that's the way it's done, then all the functionality happen independent of the operating system - it's just a matter of a.  64bit technology has evolved and been adopted by the consumer market which it has.  b. Policy:  Adobe says that's where we want to go at this point.   c.  the software engineers put down their coffee cups and say OK, let's go in to the code and re-map all 32bit references to 64bit references.  d. The little 1s and 0s all start to jump around really fast on the new architecture.

It may be helpful to understand what is 32bit vs 64bit to understand what really changes:

32-bit refers to the number of bits (the smallest unit of information on a machine) that can be processed or transmitted in parallel, or the number of bits used for single element in a data format. The term when used in conjunction with a microprocessor indicates the width of the registers; a special high-speed storage area within the CPU. A 32-bit microprocessor can process data and memory addresses that are represented by 32 bits.

64-bit therefore refers to a processor with registers that store 64-bit numbers. A generalization would be to suggest that 64-bit architecture would double the amount of data a CPU can process per clock cycle. Users would note a performance increase because a 64-bit CPU can handle more memory and larger files.  One of the most attractive features of 64-bit processors is the amount of memory the system can support. 64-bit architecture will allow systems to address up to 1 terabyte (1000GB) of memory. In today's 32-bit desktop systems, you can have up to 4GB of RAM (provided your motherboard that can handle that much RAM) which is split between the applications and the operating system (OS).

• 10. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                            Phil Griffith Level 2

I don't think it works that way. My advice.....stick to visual designing and don't quit your job to be a programmer.

By the way, I'm no way near a programmer either, and I don't try to be.

But I did stay at a motel 6 last night.

• 11. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Going from 32 to 64 bit is a major undertaking.

Adobe will only introduce a 64 bit PR AFTER AE has turned 64 bit, which may be in CS5 at a ridiculous upgrade price, then when CS6 comes out they may offer a 32 bit version of PR at 'normal' (still ridiculous) prices or offer an upgrade to 64 bit PR at an even more outrageous price.

It is not about what is technically feasible, it is about $$$$.

• 12. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                                Curt Wrigley Level 4

It may be technically possible to write an application that can be recompiled as 32 or 64 bit.   But for an app as complex as an NLE that would not be very helpful.  Simply processing more bits at a time would not have the perfoermance affect people would desire.   I suspect it is close to a re-write to do it properly and take full adantage of a 64 bit HW and OS  environment. (on two OS platforms)

• 13. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                                  PedroAlberto Level 1

I hate when I agree with Harm.

Simon

p.s

• 14. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                                    Curt Wrigley Level 4

PedroAlberto wrote:

I hate when I agree with Harm.

Simon

p.s

LOL.  The guy is usually right!

I dont know if I buy the crystal ball stuff about 64 bit costing more $$$.  They didnt do that with PS.  And by CS6 who would be running an NLE on 32 bit?  Nobody.  I wouldnt be unhappy if by CS6 the suite is 64 bit Only.

• 15. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

But remember that after that $$$$ has been disbursed to the stockholders and used to pay overhead, it just might fund some new "toys" for us. One can only hope, eh?

Hunt

PS my hope is that they get 4.1 right, whenever it hits. However, that will mean that much discussion here will suddenly go quiet - no problems, no error messages, just silent production. Could we all stand that?

• 16. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                                        don solomon Level 1

I downoloaded a 110 meg file that purports to be the 4.1 upgrade early this morning, but, for some reason that post with the link has disappeared!

I am dubious about it.  Is it just some kind Adobe employee jumping the gun--inadvertently or advertently  Or is it garbage?  I am a bit reluctant to try it.  Anyone else get it who is braver than me?

• 17. Re: Will It Be Today!?

Where did you get the link?  Do you still have it, and does it still work?

I know the Adobe Updater isn't seeing anything new...

• 18. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                                            mustbebelize Level 1

"Where did you get the link?  Do you still have it, and does it still work?

I know the Adobe Updater isn't seeing anything new..."

I've been checking intermittently since early this morning both via the update button on Premiere and under the update button on the website - just same old same old stuff.

Come on Adobe - give a specific date - you said late May - this is already late late May

• 19. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                                              Colin Brougham Level 6

If you know how to get onto Adobe's public FTP, then it's easy to find. I pulled it down before the link was banished.

Since I was going to be blowing away my secondary computer to install Vista SP2 anyway, I thought I'd give it a shot. I was dubious about it, anyway, but fortunate favors the bold idiotic. It promptly hosed my PPro install As such, I highly recommend NOT installing it, unless starting over is part of your game plan.

Just a friendly warning!

• 20. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                                                Curt Wrigley Level 4

don solomon wrote:

I downoloaded a 110 meg file that purports to be the 4.1 upgrade early this morning, but, for some reason that post with the link has disappeared!

I am dubious about it.  Is it just some kind Adobe employee jumping the gun--inadvertently or advertently  Or is it garbage?  I am a bit reluctant to try it.  Anyone else get it who is braver than me?

The thread you saw was removed because it was not intended to be public and it is not complete.     The update requires updating not just Pr.  So, installing the file you downloaded will cause havoc without having the complete package.

Be patient. (or rather, more patient)

• 21. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Hm-m, wonder if this means we are getting close. Know that you can't tell us anything, but wink if it looks good...

Hunt

• 22. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                                                    don solomon Level 1

Curt,

I can never be patient.  I have a cloned partition with CS4 on it, So.... I installed it.  And it seems to work as expected--SEEMS.  I am about to go out the door for a shoot, so I will have to wait a bit to inherit the wind, have all hell break loose, have havoc galore visited on me--OR NOT.

I noted that it  updates the language packs, dynamic link, thrid party content, and installs the 4.1 update to PPro.  Hmmm, wonder what is missing?

• 23. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                                                      Curt Wrigley Level 4

You know that if I did know anything, I couldn't say.

But; on a positive note; your book is in the mail.  Sorry it took so long.

• 24. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                                                        Curt Wrigley Level 4

don solomon wrote:

I noted that it  updates the language packs, dynamic link, thrid party content, and installs the 4.1 update to PPro.  Hmmm, wonder what is missing?

Installing a partial may confuse the updater and cause all kind of regestry and licensing havoc.  Its the dark side of tight integration; all items need updated at the same time. (ame, ae)  So; I hope you have a roll back point.

I can only say that file was not intended to be installed alone.

• 25. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                          You know that if I did know anything, I couldn't say.

You know, those are the same exact words that VP Cheney used to say to me so very often...

Keep up the good work. I know that the Barbarians are starting to "storm the gates," but it shouldn't be too long now.

Hunt

• 26. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                                                            joshtownsend Level 2

whoops sorry

• 27. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                                                              joshtownsend Level 2

Curt Wrigley wrote:

A complete re-write to 64 bit native is a bit aggressive for a .1 patch.

Tell that to Sony. The Vegas pro 8.1 patch included new 64 bit native support. But yeah that's too aggresive for Adobe.

DON -

BIG QUESTION. Did you notice or can check to see if the 24pa auto pulldown was fixed in the update. I'll but ya beer if you check for me.

• 28. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                                                                don solomon Level 1

Josh,

Just got back from a quick retake I had to do.

Everything seems to be working well thus far,  Export to Encore, Replace with Ae works well too.

I don't have anything shot in 24p or pa here right now.  The project setting just says for 24 p that is for anything shot in p or pa?  That probably doesn't help much.  Just words don't mean a hell of a lot without a test.

When I open AME it tells me that there is an update for the 4.1 version of PPro available--but, of course, it is not available yet.  And it did not come with the 4.1 update I put on.

I may be missing a part or two, and I don't have the AE update to 9.02 either yet, but everything there works and plays faster than before.

Lots more to test though.

If Curt is right about fouling up the final update, I'm not worried, since this is a clone anyway.

• 29. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                                                                  joshtownsend Level 2

DON,

If you have time and inclination would you do me a huge favor and try this 23 MB .MXF (only a couple seconds) files for me. I just need you to drop it in the project panel of the 108024p P2 MXF preset. If it says it's 29.976 at the top of the project panel after you drop it in I'm screwed. I swear I'll never bring up the 24p problem again, fixed or not. And I owe you a beer or two sometime

http://www.bantrmedia.com/gainesvilleripper/0017EE.mxf

Thanks man, I'll understand if you don't have time.

• 30. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                                                                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

josh,

Your link doesn't work.

-Jeff

• 31. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                                                                      don solomon Level 1

Josh,

Be glad to, but the link is not working.

• 32. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                                                                        joshtownsend Level 2

I guess I had to capitalize the MXF. My web-fu skills suck sorry.

http://www.bantrmedia.com/gainesvilleripper/0017EE.MXF

• 33. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                                                                          Sheri Codiana Level 1

Adobe doesn't publish release schedules; it will go out when it's ready for public consumption. If you pulled something down from an unpublished link, there is no guarantee that it's the final build.

My recommendation is to be patient, and download the update when it comes out via AUM and posts on Adobe.com.

Sheri

• 34. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                                                                            don solomon Level 1

Curt's smiley already answered your endeaqring question.  It says ......................................................................................dru mrolls are heard....................23.976.

• 35. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                                                                              joshtownsend Level 2

Hell yessssssssssss. Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you

I don't care if it takes 2 more months for this update. Just wanted to know that. Guess the next flicks's gonna be edited using Premiere....

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

• 36. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                                                                                joshtownsend Level 2

Here's the FTP address  for CS4 if anyone wants to check it out. CS4.1 isn't there but it looks like an update was added or deleted around 2pm today.

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/premiere/win/cs4/

• 37. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                                                                                  Curt Wrigley Level 4

Though i know its impossible to squelch the anticipation; I good place to look for the update is here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=98&platform=Windows

Or via your update manager.

From those sources you will know the final ver is in fact there and its blessed by adobe.

There's a chance pinging the ftp server directly a test or incomplete package might be there and may leave you confused or frustrated...(though I suspect adobe will be a bit more careful after this morning)

• 38. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                                                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Curt,

Thank you for the info. That might slow to speculation down just a bit. I hope that you have an unlisted home telephone number.

Now checking the link is kinda' like the child who passes by the Western-Auto store every day before Christmas, looking at the one Radio Flyer wagon that was at the top of the Christmas list. The child knows that as long as the wagon is there, Santa has not picked it up for delivery down the chimney. Now, when the wagon is gone from the window, things really pick up. Right now, the wagon is still in the window. Maybe it'll be gone by tomorrow. I'll bet that Harm stays up all night, just waiting... I also think that he'd be very pleased to break the news first, and I can't think of anyone better to do so.

Hunt

• 39. Re: Will It Be Today!?
                                                                                      pabGA Level 1

There is a post on the Matrox blog that it will be late afternoon (DST) tomorrow.

Patrick

1 2 Previous Next