9 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2009 12:32 PM by Curt Wrigley

Premier Pro CS4 having trouble with HDV video

feebee45

Recently I had a video shot with an HD camera and use the HDV codec. I couldnt even open these files in Adobe Premier - until someone was able to install Final Cut Pro on the computer (assumin FCP came with some sort of codec). I just dont know how to use final cut pro - but that program seems to have no problems with this video file.

So im trying to edit it using Premier PRO - but the video is very delayed - almost in slow motion. Does anyone know what i can do? I really need to make some simple edits to this video and then render it out as an FLV - i dont have time to learn final cut pro before this needs to be done.

Any information or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

amanda

• 1. Re: Premier Pro CS4 having trouble with HDV video
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Amanda,

It would appear that you are on a Mac. I'm not sure if G-Spot will run on a Mac, unless you also have some form of Windows system on it, i.e. Bootcamp, or similar. You might get info on this from the G-Spot site.

If it will not run, you'll be missing a wonderful tool. Instead, open QuickTime Player. Load one of these files. Hit Ctrl-j (Command-j on the Mac, I think) to get to the Properties screen. Look there to find out the CODEC's used in these files. Let us know about them. I do not know FCP, but it probably has a built-in Properties utility, that might yield more and better info on the files, that QT Player will. Would be worth a look and a try.

You are probably correct that it's a CODEC issue and that FCP has access to the proper one. It could well be that PrPro cannot even use that one, but until we find out what it is, we'll not know.

BTW, what make and model of camera?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premier Pro CS4 having trouble with HDV video
            Harm Millaard Level 7

With HDV you need to capture the files first before you can open them. RTFM.

• 3. Re: Premier Pro CS4 having trouble with HDV video
              feebee45 Level 1

Hello,

I did what you said with Cmd J and it says HDV1080i60. Is that the information you need? I really need to get these files working in Premier PRO!!!

Thank you so much for your help.

I dont understand the other post reply - these videos were already shot in an HD camera - a sony i think. Then transferred to a hard drive and delivered to me in .mov format.

• 4. Re: Premier Pro CS4 having trouble with HDV video
                Harm Millaard Level 7

That may well be your problem. Your best bet may be to ask for the details of the MOV files and how they were captured, or get the camera with the original footage and capture yourself.

• 5. Re: Premier Pro CS4 having trouble with HDV video
                  feebee45 Level 1

I actually found the answer myself - but thought I would post for others:

You can transcode the videos, ie., change the codec.

Open the movie in Quicktime. Go to export. Choose Movie to Quicktime Movie. Hit options. Choose the Settings button under Video. Change Compression Type to DV/DVCPRO - NTSC. Change Quality to Best. Change Aspect Ratio to 16:9.

This takes the movie and changes the codec to a regular one that Premier can then Understand.

• 6. Re: Premier Pro CS4 having trouble with HDV video
                    Curt Wrigley Level 4

feebee45 wrote:

I actually found the answer myself - but thought I would post for others:

You can transcode the videos, ie., change the codec.

Open the movie in Quicktime. Go to export. Choose Movie to Quicktime Movie. Hit options. Choose the Settings button under Video. Change Compression Type to DV/DVCPRO - NTSC. Change Quality to Best. Change Aspect Ratio to 16:9.

This takes the movie and changes the codec to a regular one that Premier can then Understand.

Or, you can just capture the tapes into premiere.

You do realize your method converts the hdv source to SD?

• 7. Re: Premier Pro CS4 having trouble with HDV video
                      feebee45 Level 1

We dont do the recordings - they happen all over the country - then are put onto a hard drive - and mailed to us. I posted the answer to my question - which worked wonderfully - for everyone else's knowledge. Thank you.

• 8. Re: Premier Pro CS4 having trouble with HDV video
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for sharing. QT-Pro can do a lot of good things with the various file formats. I've found it to be well worth the US$40 "upgrade."

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premier Pro CS4 having trouble with HDV video
                          Curt Wrigley Level 4

feebee45 wrote:

We dont do the recordings - they happen all over the country - then are put onto a hard drive - and mailed to us. I posted the answer to my question - which worked wonderfully - for everyone else's knowledge. Thank you.

I see.  However if you are doing exactly what your post says, you are downconverting HDV video to DVCPRO SD video.  It is wide screen, but much lower resolution.

Are perhaps converting to DVCPRO HD?