7 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2009 11:38 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere halts rendering at 99.81% 5 times now

Retrospective

Hi all,

The first few times I've rendered a 2 and a half minute H.264 mp4 file went smooth but lately my renders of 5 hours have been halting/crashing Premiere CS3 when it's about to finish a 2 pass VBR render. 99.81% so close but so far.

What are the cause of Premiere's render to halt/crash just about when its almost done? Can anyone help me figure out why it's doing this?

I work on a Macbook Pro, 2.6Ghz, 4 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.7.

Thank you,

John

• 2. Re: Premiere halts rendering at 99.81% 5 times now
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Besides working through Eddie's troubleshooting tips, let's look spcifically at two things:

1.) what is happening right at the end of your Project's Timeline?  Is there anything different about these particular Assets? Is there any gap between any of the Assets, even a 1-frame gap? Title? Anything that might yield a clue?

2.) tell us about your HDD's - free, defragmented space will be very important. How are your HDD's allocated in general and to the Project specifically?

Might be something in one of those two - or maybe not.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere halts rendering at 99.81% 5 times now
            Retrospective Level 1

Thanks Eddie and Wine Snob

I finally figured out why it stopped/crashed Premiere. One of my assets was "offline" for some reason.

There should be an assets checker where it will scan your project for broken/offline files or at least a tool to verify your project if its ready to be rendered. Since projects can be soo big. Like a validator is there one?

Cheers,

John

• 4. Re: Premiere halts rendering at 99.81% 5 times now
              Eddie Lotter Level 4

Unfortunately there is no automated way to do this.

The link I provided is to a page I created over the years that lists the items that people have posted that helped them with their problems.

One of the items is to check for media file problems.

I'm glad it worked for you too.

Cheers
              Eddie

• 5. Re: Premiere halts rendering at 99.81% 5 times now
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I also agree that a "pre-flight" check would be good, like in InDesign. I've filed feature requests both for PrPro and for Encore (where it would be a great help, as Check Project just looks at the DVD-spec. navigational issues and NOT Assets). Might want to file such a feature request yourself. With enough, Adobe might look into implementing such, if possible.

One thing that I find helpful, in your situation, is to expand my Project Panel up, and change the display to the large icons. Then the Media Offline will be more easily seen. I also look for that funky red frame with the multiple languages, while I step through my Project with PageDn, checking for "gaps." Since that proceedure takes me completely through the Timeline at a good magnification, Offline Media has a better chance of catching my attention.

Good luck, and glad you found the problem.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere halts rendering at 99.81% 5 times now
                  Retrospective Level 1

Yes, a validator/pre-flight like too in InDesign would be very usefull. Im sure there's many Premiere users out there are frustrated to find out their render of 5 hours was all for nothing when they could have just easily been warned in advanced that their project is missing a clip something or there's a gap in the timeline, etc...

Also how would you check if there's any gap between your clips in the timeline? Is there an automated way or it has to be checked manually? Will be tedious if you have a very long timeline and hundreds of clips :O

Thanks for the tips!

Cheers,

John

• 7. Re: Premiere halts rendering at 99.81% 5 times now
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

It's purely a manual process in PrPro * . I always zoom in to about the frame-view level on the horizontal zoom (Timeline is usually vertically expanded a bit too), and then hit Home. I press PageDn, to step Clip by Clip. (watch out for Clips on other Tracks, both Video and Audio), and watch the CTI (Current Time Indicator). On my VT1, for example, the CTI should jump from Clip to Clip. If it "stutters," or "hiccups," then I begin looking closely. It's actually easier to "see," than to write about. With the full frame-view, most "gaps" can be seen. However, some cannot. If I get that "hiccup," I'll study the Tail of the preceeding Clip, and the Head of the following Clip. Depending on the Clips, I might just extend the Duration of one by one frame, or may close up the Clips - watch out for other Clips down the line. Usually that increase in the Duration of one of the Clips by one frame is enough - check that you have not compromised the Handles. Then I continue on down the Timeline. The biggest problem with gaps is that often they cause no problem whatsoever. Other times, they bring a Project to its knees. I had to do a re-edit on a Project that a previous editor had burned DVD's successfully and I removed 900+ gaps. These were almost all 1-frame gaps, but had caused no problems. Still, I've seen Projects where one 1-frame gap killed Export. One never knows.

I also will hit the backslash key "\" to see the full Timeline. Here, I check for any "orphans." Matching your intended final frame's TimeCode to the displayed TimeCode will reveal these too. Orphans are Clips, or parts of Clips, that get marooned out beyond where you think the Timeline has ended. These can come from a couple of different situations. They are most often detritus that one forgot was out there, and when the edit was tightened up, they got "left behind." As they are often out of sight, as one edits, they are forgotten. Looking at the full Timeline will often reveal them way out past the last intended frame, lurking, ready to give you tons of black space and then a flash of a forgotten frame, or two.

Good luck,

Hunt

* Premiere Elements has a "Find and Close Gap" function. However, if one has continuous Audio on any Audio Track, it will not work.