4 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2009 12:19 PM by Curt Wrigley

export format for web or youtube

HarryPutnam Level 1

I don't understand too much of how to use the adobe media exporting tools.

I can figure out how to export something for DVD or for further authoring, but if I wanted something for the web or something like youtube, a short video, what is the best or proper setting to export with?

I don't really see any way to set the size down from dv type settings 720x486 to something that will play fairly well over the internet.

Maybe its better done after exporting in DV format?

At any rate, a few pointers to Documentation or some basic ideas about what format is appropriate would be welcome.

• 2. Re: export format for web or youtube
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, remember that YouTube is a "moving target." About the time that someone figures out what is best, and publishes those specs, YT has changed things, often drastically. They also do not seem to be really forthcoming with their specs, so one often has to try variations, wait for them to upload (if the do), then wait for them to be ready to display and then watch and critique. Often, it's back to the drawingboard. About the time that you do get it right, and looking good, YT changes what they want, and how they want it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: export format for web or youtube
            HarryPutnam Level 1

the_wine_snob wrote:

Also, remember that YouTube is a "moving target." . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . YT changes what they want, and how they want it.

Good luck,

Hunt

Thanks to you and Eddie too.  I haven't read the FAQ citation yet but wanted to get this in right now...

I have no great desire to publish on youtube but just assumed it would be an easy way and would have worked out the best format by now.

I have my own web space on jtan.com, where I can do about anything I want including cgi scripts or the like.... much more freedom than most cites will allow their user.  But still wondering what format to use that will be palletable for browers on what may be slightly weaker access than any mainline pages like google or others.  (Not sure what the upload rate from jtan.com is but it seems a little more sluggish than accessing mainline stuff)

I guess where I'm having trouble understanding the Premier setup is that it appears to allow a host of formats but then the `presets' are only NTSC or PAL (either in HD too) .

I probably have it  wrong but I thought some of the formats offered don't really fall into ntsc or pal...

I see no handy way to change the frame size... whatever choice I still get 720x480.  I may be confusing Premiere with other programs I've used but thought I remembered being able to decrease frame size in previous versions.

Is *.mov (quicktime sorenson 3) a good choice?

• 4. Re: export format for web or youtube
              Curt Wrigley Level 4

You should consider getting some basic training on Pr or NLEs in general.  The time will pay off in the end.

To make a video for web usage, the most typical format is flash.  Use the Adobe Media Encoder to export to flash format at any frame size you desire.