12 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2009 4:00 PM by the_wine_snob

Transition between clips! Not working! HELP!

Bombhills Level 1

Hi. I've been troubled now for a while since I can't get this to work.

Well the problem is that when it comes to some clips I can't put a transition to overlap them both. A little symbol pops up instead of the cursor. Its a green stroke/Line with a white box at the side of it (looks like a flag).

It looks like this:

Premiere pro problem.jpg

Here is a link for you who can't see it: 

The thing is that's just occuring when it comes to certain clips. Anyone know a way around this?

Help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

(I need to get this video done till tomorrow)

• 1. Re: White transition between clips! Not working! HELP!
          Harm Millaard Level 7

The symbol is completely normal. It indicates the starting point of the transition and the duration. You may look up 'handles' in the help file. While you're at it, read the rest of the help file as well. It may give you some valuable information.

• 2. Re: White transition between clips! Not working! HELP!
            Bombhills Level 1

Oh, Okay. But there's something wrong anyway.. I can't even drag the transition so it overlapses both clips.

Yeah, I took a look in the help file, but couldn't find anything useful.

Hmm, I've been trying to fix this all day, but it's probably just something simple. I just can't figure it out.

• 3. Re: White transition between clips! Not working! HELP!
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Zoom in on your Timeline to the max. Is there perhaps a "gap" between the Clips. Even one frame will do it. The Clips need to be butted up to each other 100%. If you do not have adequate Handles, you'll get a warning message. You do not mention that, so I'd say to check for gaps first.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: White transition between clips! Not working! HELP!
                Bombhills Level 1

Oh I just noticed something:

premiere pro.jpg

You see those small gray "arrows" that I've marked?

The one to the left is just half (that's where I can't put the transition).

The other one indicates the place where I am able to place the transition. Could this "half arrow" be what is keeping me from placing it?

• 5. Re: White transition between clips! Not working! HELP!
                  Bombhills Level 1

Thanks for the response Hunt!

Unluckily I couldn't find any gaps.

• 6. Re: White transition between clips! Not working! HELP!
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, no gaps. Worth a shot. Now, as a "test," go to your Clip, the one without the little "half-arrow," and shorten its Duration by about 15 frames. You can do this while holding down Ctrl to have it Ripple up against the preceeding Clip. I'd also shorten the Duration of that preceeding Clip for the test too. Make sure that you do not create any gaps. Do you now get the "full arrow?" Can you now apply your Transition? BTW, which Transition are you attempting to apply?

Good luck,

Hunt

One little "trick" to find gaps is to Zoom in horizontally on the Timeline, like before. Start at the beginning (Home Key) and then proceed to hit the PageDn key to jump from Clip to Clip. The CTI (Current Time Indicator) should jump smoothly from Clip to Clip. If it "stutters," or "hiccups," then you have found a gap. Sometimes, even at full Zoom, they can be tough to see. The PageUp/PageDn trick will help you locate them. You might want to actually create a 1 frame gap, and practice with this method, so you can observe the behavior of the CTI for youself. Easier to see, than to write about.

• 7. Re: White transition between clips! Not working! HELP!
                      Bombhills Level 1

AHA! That helped! Works much better now!

Thank you so much!

• 8. Re: White transition between clips! Not working! HELP!
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Great! Thanks for reporting success.

Hunt

• 9. Re: White transition between clips! Not working! HELP!
                          Curt Wrigley Level 4

Bombhills wrote:

Oh I just noticed something:

premiere pro.jpg

You see those small gray "arrows" that I've marked?

The one to the left is just half (that's where I can't put the transition).

The other one indicates the place where I am able to place the transition. Could this "half arrow" be what is keeping me from placing it?

The "half arrow" means there is no tail on that clip,  It means it is the very end or last frame of the clip - no tails.  Ergo there are no frames for which the transition can occur.  Make tails.

• 11. Re: White transition between clips! Not working! HELP!
                            Curt Wrigley Level 4

Bombhills wrote:

How do you do that?

Set the in and out points of the clip 30 frames or more in from the end.   You can just drag the edges of the clip inward with the default tool.

• 12. Re: White transition between clips! Not working! HELP!
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

That was what you essentially did, when you shortened the Clip, by moving its Out-Point. You created the Handles at the end of the Clip.

When shooting, it's always a good idea to start the camera a few seconds before your action, and continue taping for a few seconds after your action. This gives you say 60 frames on each end of the Clip to draw any Handles from, so as to not compromise the action. The other option is to do exactly as you did and create the Handles by re-setting the In and Out-Points. There needs to be "frames" for the Transition to take place in. Back in the days of film, it was easy to see this, because one had shot #1 on the A-Roll followed by black leader, and then shot #2 on the B-Roll. For a Cross-Dissolve, one had to physically overlap the A-Roll and the B-Roll. For a while digital editing used a very similar layout. Now, however, we string all of the Clips out on the same Video Track (very often), so it's not quite so easy to understand.

This is a little diagram that might help you to see it more clearly:

Handles03.jpg

On your Timeline, the your Out-Point for Clip A and your In-Point for Clip B will be butted up to each other. I have them separated here, so you can see the Handles. Note the Duration of the Transition, and where it starts and where it ends. On your Timeline, it'll be shown as an icon on both Clips. On your Timeline, the Handles are not shown, but are necessary.

Let me know if this makes more sense of the matter, regarding Handles.

Good luck,

Hunt