9 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2009 3:32 PM by the_wine_snob

Imported converted VBO files have no sound

Aidan Bell Level 1

VOB files renamed as .mpg and imported into Premiere; picture is fine but I have no audio. There is an audio track, but it's empty. The mpgs are fine, playing without problem in other programmes. But in Premiere they are mute! Could this be a codec issue? Would anone have any thoughts?

Reading through other posts I see that others talk of editing directly from the VBO files as .vbo, but I can't import .vbo at all (Error message "File format not supported"), so do I in fact have a bigger problem here than I first thought?

Thanks.

Aidan

• 1. Re: Imported converted VBO files have no sound
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Likely your VOB files contain AC3 sound. In that case, demux them and convert the audio to 48 KHz 16 bit WAV files.

• 2. Re: Imported converted VBO files have no sound
            Curt Wrigley Level 4

How big of a hurry are you in?   Rumor has it 4.1 update is coming soon (nobody knows when exaclty).

If you watch this preview video; looks like it will make you happy...

4.1...Here ya go

• 3. Re: Imported converted VBO files have no sound
              the_wine_snob Level 9

This LINK might provide you some good info. It's somewhat specific to Encore, but translates well to an NLE also. Besides muxed Audio & Video, a .VOB file can contain much more. Sometimes the renaming of the extension will work, but sometimes it will not. Much depends on what is in that .VOB. Harm also makes a great point about AC3 Audio, and it's likely the cause of your problems.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Imported converted VBO files have no sound
                Aidan Bell Level 1

Thanks all of you. I can't see it being an ac3 issue because VBOs from my own DVDs have the same problem, and I don't create in ac3.
                But no, in fact I'm not in a hurry, it's an issue I've been working around for some time now by capturing the sound "live" and adding it separately. It's a pain and takes for ever, but a work-around's a work-around isn't it? So 4.1 may indeed be the answer, cheers.

• 5. Re: Imported converted VBO files have no sound
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Aiden,

Are you sure that your DVD's do not have AC3 Audio? Reason that I ask is that in programs, like Encore, one can decide whether to use PCM/WAV or AC3 in the Preferences. Once selected, little note is ever made of it again, and most folk just let the authoring app do its thing - they never really check to see which allowed Audio format is used. Other programs might require user decisions on every Project, or even on every Burn, but most just use global preferences.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Imported converted VBO files have no sound
                    Aidan Bell Level 1

Thanks Hunt, I do take your point and have checked my standard preferences in Encore

Ultimately the cs3 issue is not a proper solution, though, because I may at some stage also want to work with ac3-encoded VOBs as well. However, I do feel now that waiting for the 4.1 update is the sensible answer. I just wish there was some indication somewhere of when it might be available!

• 7. Re: Imported converted VBO files have no sound
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

At least we have the AC3 vs PCM/WAV issue out of the way. Surprisingly, earler versions of PrPro worked with AC3 Audio, with a lttile .dll from Encore. Even the earlier version of CS4 seemed to handle some of this, but the 4.0.1 (or so) update seemed to "break it." Supposedly, the .dll copy form Encore did not work with any flavor of CS4.

As for the 4.1 update, well the totally semi-official rumor had it "by the end of May." Most assumed that this meant May, 2009, but I do not recall any year ever being attached to it. Since we're pretty close to "the end of May (2009)," it could be any day now. However, that rumor could have been off, or Adobe might have decided that something needed a bit more work. Though less than specific, I'd guess that one could safely say, "soon."

Hunt

• 8. Re: Imported converted VBO files have no sound
                        Aidan Bell Level 1

And thus all is academic now. I've just installed the 4.1 update and VBO  editing is like a dream come true!

However, thank you again, of course, for the kind help.

Cheers,

Aidan

• 9. Re: Imported converted VBO files have no sound
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

That is great news. Do be aware that some software and hardware does play a bit fast and loose with the DVD-specs. Some of those VOB's might still give you problems, for many of the reasons outlined above. Should you encounter those, ripping is probably the best way to deal with them.

It seems that DVD's created in Encore (is very strict with the DVD-specs.) appear to work perfectly. With some others, well, YMMV.

Good luck, and thanks for reporting,

Hunt