Expand my Community achievements bar.

Attached Documnets couldnt be retrived after rendering the Form

Level 2

Hello,

I am using a process in which I render a pdf form (as XDP) and use a exceuteScript service to retrive attachment form a Database as a BLOB.

I have done required conversions of BLOB to com.adobe.idp.Document i.e Document Type and these  document is then uesd as attachment to create a Map of Documents as required in renderPDFForm operation.

Now process runs fine and it renders a PDF which i saved to see the attachments being attached, on pin Symbol of Acrobat.

But when i try to open or Save the attachment (just as a check) it gives a warning and doesnt allow me to do so.

The warning shown is :

"Adobe cannot open the file attachment because your PDF file attachment settings do not allow this

file type to be opened" (when trying to open form Pin Symbol)

Other warning when i select attachment and try to save it from PIN sysmbol is

"You have selected a file that cannot be exported from acrobat".

Kindly suggest as to what is the problem.

4 Replies

Former Community Member

Make sure that your Acrobat or Reader preferences allow for the opening of attachments.  The option is found at Edit > Preferences > Trust Manager > Allow opening of non-pdf file attachments with external applications.

Regards

Steve

Level 8

What is the file type of your attachment?  Acrobat has some security settings that don't allow you to open/extract some file types, like ZIP files.  There is a way around it, but it requires a client side regedit.

Level 1

I am running into a similar scenario where a flat file (ASCII) is attached to a PDF form and when the file has no extension, the file can be attached but can not be saved or viewed after the file is attached.  Adobe gives the same error "Adobe Reader security settings do not allow this type of file to be opened."

We already have the preference set to allow the opening of non-pdf file attachments.

We have been able to edit the registry to allow the opening of a file with the .ASC extension, but when there is no extension, we are finding that Microsoft Registry settings will not accept the wildcard setting (.*).

We are running Adobe Reader version 9.1.

Level 10

An alternate option:

you can attach the document as a Task Attachment (in the attachments tab) and later can make use of this attachment from the workspace.

I think the task attachment is more reliable and can open files of any kind.

Nith