16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2010 8:30 AM by the_wine_snob

Better playback of  Canon 5D Mark 2 footage in 4.1?

Martin HJA

Hi,

since the update installations gives me errors all the time (my post here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/439764?tstart=0 ), I can't verify this myself:

The readme of the PPro update say, that h.264 playback/handling is improved. So I was wondering, if the playback of native Canon 5D mark 2 files falls into this section also.

I'm not talking about proxies or cineform's neo etc. I mean the raw quicktime footage from the camera...native...

Since Canon annaunced yesterday that FULL MANUAL control (aperture, ISO, shutter) will be availible on june 2nd, this is pretty much the last (and 25p support in the cam) hurdle for editing the 5DII footage.

Please let us know!

Martin

• 1. Re: Better playback of  Canon 5D Mark 2 footage in 4.1?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

The Readme actually says "Improvements to AVCHD support."  The Canon does not record AVCHD files.  Whether those improvements apply to all H.264 media or specifically to the AVCHD subset isn't specified.

• 2. Re: Better playback of  Canon 5D Mark 2 footage in 4.1?
            Martin HJA Level 1

Sorry Jim,

I know about the AVCHD improvements, but I was reffering especially to this "improvement":

-Playback performance of h.264 clips has been improved. (#1824690)    (you can find it under "Notable fixes")

Anyone?

• 3. Re: Better playback of  Canon 5D Mark 2 footage in 4.1?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

With the popularity of this Canon, there should be a lot of users out there, trying to edit its footage in a better way. It'll just take time for these folk to work through the 4.1 upgrade and try it. They should start reporting in soon. Remember, the update just hit and is a hefty download.

Hope that it works perfectly for you, as so many have had issues. BTW for a dual-purpose camera, this Canon looks quite nice - if only the footage can be handled well and efficiently.

Good luck and patience will be a virtue. Keep watching your thread. Reports due in soon!

Hunt

• 4. Re: Better playback of  Canon 5D Mark 2 footage in 4.1?
                Martin HJA Level 1

thanx the_wine_snob for your "cherring me up answer" ,

The Video that is coming out of (my) 5D mark 2 is awesome. Just a lot of workarounds to deal with, but since it primary is a photocamera we all shoudn't  complain to much...

I would try it out right away, but I'm not able to update my Production Premium for about 4 hours now. Well, I can download it, but the instalation quits with 3 errors. I made an extra post about it, but so far nobody seems to have the same issue.

I read that somebody had some other issues with instalation, so maybe the uploded files aren't that "perfect" because adobe wanted it up by the end of may (like they said the would ).

I'll keep trying again and again and again.....

• 5. Re: Better playback of  Canon 5D Mark 2 footage in 4.1?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I would try it out right away, but I'm not able to update my Production Premium for about 4 hours now. Well, I can download it, but the instalation quits with 3 errors. I made an extra post about it, but so far nobody seems to have the same issue.

I read that somebody had some other issues with instalation, so maybe the uploded files aren't that "perfect" because adobe wanted it up by the end of may (like they said the would

I've seen a few comments on installation errors already. Hope that that gets solved. It would be tough finally getting the long-awaited 4.1, only to find that it would not install, and may even mess things up. Fingers X'ed here. I also hope that Adobe was 100% satisfied with their efforts, and there was no Midnight-coding, as it was headed out the door.

As for the footage from the Canon - I've only heard great things about it. Some of the after-market folk have already gotten on the bandwagon with all sorts of add-ons for it on the video side. There were a couple of interesting ads in last month's American Cinematographer. Apparently some companies feel that there will definitely be a market for "stuff" to use this camera and its lenses for doing some serious video work. Time will tell. Though I'm a Nikon-guy* on the still-side of life, this Canon does look sweet. Hope that 4.1 is all that users could ask for. Again, the fingers are X'ed.

Good luck,

Hunt

* since my wife went digital, all of her point-n-shoot still cameras have been Canon. Now, I do not store these in the same room with my Nikons, but I do like their choices better than what Nikon offers.

• 6. Re: Better playback of  Canon 5D Mark 2 footage in 4.1?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I was reffering especially to this "improvement":

-Playback performance of h.264 clips has been improved. (#1824690)    (you can find it under "Notable fixes")

Ah.  Understood.

• 7. Re: Better playback of  Canon 5D Mark 2 footage in 4.1?
                      5DMKII

I tried it and the playback is better in both Premiere and After Effects.  I'm running XP Pro with a Q6600 and 3.2 gig RAM.

• 8. Re: Better playback of  Canon 5D Mark 2 footage in 4.1?
                        Martin HJA Level 1

Really?!

That sound good! Is it realtime in Premiere? or does ist just start stuttering later on. My native files start stuttering right about 2 seconds after hitting the play button in 4.0.1.

I just wisch I would be able to finally install the 4.1 update and get rid of this darn error messege when instaling...

Thanx for your input 5DMKII. Lets hope others have the same experiance

• 9. Re: Better playback of  Canon 5D Mark 2 footage in 4.1?
                          5DMKII Level 1

Unfortunately, it's still not native. I still get the yellow line for rendering.  I was having a lot of problems with crashes with NeoScene files.  It seems to work better with these files now.

• 10. Re: Better playback of  Canon 5D Mark 2 footage in 4.1?
                            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

The yellow line does not mean it needs rendering to play back or edit.  What it means is that although some characteristic of the video doesn't match the sequence settings, you should still get real-time playback.  Yellow sections only need rendering before going out to tape, which in the case of 5DMII files is irrelevant.

Since there are no sequence presets that exactly match 5DMII footage, a yellow bar is expected.  You may be able to set up a custom sequence that will accept the Canon footage without displaying a yellow render bar.

-Jeff

• 11. Re: Better playback of  Canon 5D Mark 2 footage in 4.1?
                              5DMKII Level 1

Thanks, Jeff.  I take a closer look and see if I can create a better match.

• 12. Re: Better playback of  Canon 5D Mark 2 footage in 4.1?
                                bysea

I have the Mark II and also an Canon HD video camera (vixia hf s10).

I've tried both files - SD out of the 5D is fine (as expected), but HD files are a rough  - choppy playback. I did reneder a file out and it's fine, but editing is not smooth at all.

The AVCHD files out of the video cam are smooth, but have artifacts (1440x1080). I haven't tried the higher bit rate yet (1920x1080), but I'm sure they'll have the same problem.

Hardware:

Intel i7

12 Gb's RAM

Dual Drives

ATI 4870 Vid card

Is Vegas or FCP doing this as well?

• 13. Re: Better playback of  Canon 5D Mark 2 footage in 4.1?
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Your system specs are OK, apart from the dual drives. Maybe get some additional ones for improved performance.

• 14. Re: Better playback of  Canon 5D Mark 2 footage in 4.1?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

B & H Photo has just published a GUIDE to using a DSLR to capture video. This might prove useful to anyone using the Canon 5D/7D, or the Nikon D-series DSLR's.

Hunt

• 15. Re: Better playback of  Canon 5D Mark 2 footage in 4.1?
                                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Bill,

One post in a current topic is sufficient.  Thanks.

-Jeff

• 16. Re: Better playback of  Canon 5D Mark 2 footage in 4.1?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry Jeff.

I was going to the various 5D/7D threads, here and on PrE, to add that link. Some seem able to find a few of the threads, but not others. I did not mean to litter the forum, just provide the link for folk following particular threads. Much of that depends on how they set up e-mail notification, but if they are the OP, it's likely that they are only following their initiated thread, unless they have turned off the notification.

Thanks for the tip,

Hunt