2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2009 8:00 AM by kyle ragaller

Personalized Videos

kyle ragaller

I work for Southern Illinois University and have been given the job to create a video welcoming all the incoming students.  My boss wants me to have instances in the video be personalized to the student its being sent to.  For example, an incoming student would get an email with a url.  He clicks the url and goes to a website that has a few fill-in spaces asking for their name, a photo, and whatever else.  After the info is submitted a video begins playing.  Throughout the video there will be fliers, banners, bus sides, billboards, marquees, etc throughout the scenery with that specific student's info (all content drawn from the filled in info on the previous page).  A bit of a "Greetings" thing.

I assume to do this I would have to link the video to a database, at least the bits that are personalized.  What directions should I look into and things to remember while shooting the footage, getting the student info to be placed via a database (I dont want to have to edit each individual students video).  I want to make one video but have it be personalized to whoever watches it.

Here is an example of what I am trying to do.

http://www.cnnbcvideo.com/?nid=bO06BP9s0cm1AuhgOyDs7DIwOTc5ODM-&referred_by=8696 445-hI94oYx

use the button to the right to customize it again.  Check out the process.  This is what I am trying to re-create.

this is another example:

http://www.tsgnet.com/pres.php?id=46832&altf=Ubnnz&altl=Dbwbssfuub&lap=2

p.s.  To be clear, the editing isnt gonna change, just the name of the student and thier photo if i can be so lucky.  So its just text that is changing.  I think both videos do this.

Thanks guys,

Kyle Ragaller

• 1. Re: Personalized Videos
          Michael Borbor Level 4

That's something that can be done, you just need to plan ahead the footage where you want the student name to appear, where his/her picture it'll require a lot of thinking ahead. Yes definitively the student data needs to be in the db, and the url could use URL params that your app should read to retrieve the data to display it to the student. It should be a very interesting project.

Good luck!

• 2. Re: Personalized Videos
            kyle ragaller Level 1

I am doing all the pre-production panning right now.  The writing, scripting, and shooting bits are easy.  I just need to be guided in the direction to get the technical end figured out for getting the video to infuse the user data.  I assume I will need After Effects (motion tracking), Flash (the text fields and final encoding), and some sort of bridge between the input Db info and the swf (to unite the user data and the swf).  Should I use Flex to code that bridge?

I appreciate the reply, but Im looking for a bit more to continue researching with.  Please, what are some of the apps I will need to utilize and whats the best way to get user input data (via text fields on a site I create) into the swf?

Thanks a lot guys.

Kyle