5 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2009 2:00 PM by Ned Murphy

Button Animation help

rmarshal

All,

I have a button with a movie clip animation in it, and I finally have it all working just how I want, but one thing....it always plays the animation when I first open it and test it in a browser and the flash player.

The button scales out an image to a larger image when you hover over it so when I open it in a browser/flash player the larger scaled out animation plays down to its original size.

To cut to the question how can I can make my button not play the animation when its first opened in a browser?

Thank you,

• 1. Re: Button Animation help
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

if you have a true/simple button, you can't control its frame or contents with actionscript.  if you use a movieclip button, you can precisely control it with actionscript.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Button Animation help
            rmarshal Level 1

Well, there is a movie clip inside the button. I mean there has to be a way to stop it from playing when you open it for the first time?

I've attached the movie to show you what I mean.

Also does having a movie clip inside the true button make a difference in controlling it?

• 3. Re: Button Animation help
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Where is the movie planted frame-wise inside the button?

• 4. Re: Button Animation help
                rmarshal Level 1

Hi Ned,

Ok the movie symbol(s) are in the up and over frames. The animations are split. The hover to the larger scale is in the up frame and the animation to scale back down is in the over frame. So I assume it has to do with the up Frame since thats where the animation scales out. I have a stop(); in from 10.

I tried a stop(); in frame 1 and no go, I tgried a gotoandstop(10) but not sure if that would work anyways.

I know this is a hack but I couldn't get AS3 to do what I needed in time from lack of knowledge os AS3 so I followed a tutorial online and it worked great except this part.

• 5. Re: Button Animation help
                  Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know what you mean when you say "The hover to the larger scale is in the up frame"  If you hover the button you will be in the over frame, so hovering the Up frame doesn't apply.  If you have a movieclip in the Up frame, it will either play out or sit stopped at frame 1 as soon as the button comes into being.

There are some odd behaviors that can be realized by placing movieclips in different frames of a button, so I can't say that whatever tutorial you're following is out of whack... it may be relying on those oddities.  But if you want to have control of what goes on inside the button, you are better of creating a movieclip version.  That's mainly because you can't control things inside a button... it doesn't have such properties.