20 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2009 1:11 PM by jrssol1

4.1 VOB Support Problem

jrssol1

I just downloaded (via AUM) the 4.1 Premiere Pro Update. During the download processes it mentioned VOB support. However, although it recognizes VOB files for import, so far I have only been able to get it to import a small portion (roughly 6 or 7 second duration of a 2 min.+ clips) of substantially longer VOB files. I am runnning a Dell XPS 710, win xp pro, intel qx6700 quadcore, and nVidia GTX8800 video card with no known (to me) problems. Anybody else experienced this issue/problem? Thanks.

• 1. Re: 4.1 VOB Support Problem
          jrssol1 Level 1

Update: Premiere 4.1 appears to import Encore-created VOB files properly (at their full length), but will not import at full length files created on my Toshiba D-R400 video recorder. Must be a file-compatibility issue.

• 2. Re: 4.1 VOB Support Problem
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I imported some dvd's made by Encore and they gave me no trouble at all.

Does this recorder record in different quality or speed? Something like LP or SP?

• 3. Re: 4.1 VOB Support Problem
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Most DVD recorders create non-standard files, so that they can't be played (or edited) on other players or computers.  That way, a person can't record a movie off of cable and then distribute it.  It's seems to be "copy protection through inconvenience".

-Jeff

• 4. Re: 4.1 VOB Support Problem
                jrssol1 Level 1

Thanks, Ann, for responding. The Toshiba recorder does have different qaulity recording levels (5 of them), the files that I tested it on were all done at the highest-quality seeting ("XP"). I haven't tried the other settings yet, but I will. The recorder also has a "compatibility" mode that is supposed to make its DVDs compatible with other recorders, but those settings didn't make any difference. Looks like it's just a plain 'ol compatibility problem. Thanks again for responding.

Jim

• 5. Re: 4.1 VOB Support Problem
                  jrssol1 Level 1

Thanks, Jeff, for your reply. I'm sure you're correct, that a certain amount of built-in incompatibility is at the heart of the matter (even thought the recorder sports a "Compatibility" mode, that made no difference). Thanks for responding.

Jim

• 6. Re: 4.1 VOB Support Problem
                    TimothyTS

Yes, I've also experienced it.

In my case, the DVD I'm trying to important is pretty straightforward and simple. The VOB files I import are both around 1 gig of space, but I only get almost exactly 22 seconds of each section. I tried extending the clip in the timeline- no dice. I did notice that if I applied any time/duration changes to the clip, the audio wouldn't sync and I would see a different section of the DVD sometimes flickering on and off in the playback...so it's obvious the information is there, it's just a matter of accessing it.

• 7. Re: 4.1 VOB Support Problem
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Another thing to consider is that a .VOB can contain more than just the AV transport streams. Many of the recorders also have menuing options. It could well be that their method of doing the Menus could cause problems, as well. Like so many things in video production - there are VOB's and then there are VOB's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: 4.1 VOB Support Problem
                        Eddie Lotter Level 4

This remains the best advice for problematic files: FAQ: How do I import VOB files / edit a DVD?

Cheers
                        Eddie

• 9. Re: 4.1 VOB Support Problem
                          jrssol1 Level 1

Hey trc770, you sound like you're having essentially the same problem I am. I was getting 6 or 7 seconds out of a roughly 160mb file (2.5+ minutes or so). Likewise, I couldn't extend it in the timeline. If you find out anything more, please post here. Thanks for responding.

Jim

• 10. Re: 4.1 VOB Support Problem
                            jrssol1 Level 1

Hey Hunt (a.k.a. the_wine-snob). Thanks for your response. Extrapolated, I think your answer could be a metaphor for much more than just VOBs.

Jim

• 11. Re: 4.1 VOB Support Problem
                              jrssol1 Level 1

Thanks, Eddie, for the response and the useful link. much appreciated.

Jim

• 12. Re: 4.1 VOB Support Problem
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, I can see that too.

Hunt

• 13. Re: 4.1 VOB Support Problem
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Though written for Encore, there could also be some useful info HERE. The article has some age, but was written by one, who knows. Eddie's link is probably a bit more current, and is also PrPro-specific. That would be MY first stop.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: 4.1 VOB Support Problem
                                    jrssol1 Level 1

Hunt, thanks for the link. I guess when I saw VOB support I got all excited that I would be able to pull my recordings direclty into PP, without having to go through the rip/convert process, but, alas, it doesn't look like that's going to be the case. Thanks again for the link -- I'm going to read it.

Jim

• 15. Re: 4.1 VOB Support Problem
                                      jrssol1 Level 1

The thread speaks for itself. I suspect, the item is answered about as well as it's going to be. Thanks to all who replied.

• 16. Re: 4.1 VOB Support Problem
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        I would be able to pull my recordings direclty into PP, without having to go through the rip/convert process

That would obviously be the ideal. From what I gather from the Adobe "intro" video (posted elsewhere) VOB support has been implemented - to a degree. As has been pointed out, it seems that Encore-created VOB's are working for some/many. I would strongly suspect that others, created by other software/hardware, might have issues, and apparently they do.

One thing to consider is that there are well-defined specs. for DVD-Video. Encore, and other Adobe programs, that Burned DVD's, adhere very strictly to these specs (a good thing in my book). However, other software and hardware can play "fast and loose," with these same specs. That difference in their implementation and interpretation of these, will probably cause issues.

PrElements, which has had VOB support for a couple of versions now, has the same issues. Some VOB's work perfectly, but others just flat do not. I'd say that it's akin to saying "some of my .AVI's Import and edit beautifully, but some do not." Pretty much the same with .VOB's unfortunately.

Best of luck, and hope that you can find a way to easily handle your source VOB's.

Hunt

• 17. Re: 4.1 VOB Support Problem
                                          jrssol1 Level 1

Thanks again, Hunt, for all your help/insights. What you said makes perfect sense (including the AVI analogy). If still having to rip/convert VOBs is the worse thing that happens to me this week, I'll consider myself pretty fortunate. Again, thanks for your help.

Jim

• 18. Re: 4.1 VOB Support Problem
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

If I'm right on the possible causes for the failure of some VOB's to work, and since Jeff feels similar, I think I am, I wonder if you could use PGCEdit to rework the problem VOB's. Think that it's listed in either Jeff's article from Encore, or Eddie's. I do not use it, because I have never needed it. May have it installed on one machine, but cannot recall firing it up. It might help correct the VOB's content/structure and save you a full rip and any conversions. Could be something to consider and explore.

Please report your findings, as I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of "hey, 4.1 says that it does VOB's, but mine don't work. What's up with that?" Gonna' be a couple of busy weeks. What you discover could well help many others. Keep up the good work, and much luck.

Hunt

• 19. Re: 4.1 VOB Support Problem
                                              John J J

Typically the problem occurs with DVDs produced by camcorders and DVD recorders.  It is not possible for these devices to produce totally compliant DVDs for their typical usage.  Most video software will have the same problem importing the files.  Try renameing a VOB to an MPG and see what Windows Media Player tells you for the total time in the file.  (assuming you have an MPEG2 decoder installed)

Embedded at the start of a VOB is the total time contained in the file.  Since the DVD recording device does not know how long you are going to be recording, it inserts a dummy value for the time length.  The Sony camcorders that I commonly get video from use 12 seconds, and my Pioneer DVR uses 20 seconds.

The only way to get the total time in this type of file is to pre-scan the entire file, and Adobe chose not to do this with 4.1.

That's the only reason I have a copy of Corel VideoStudio installed on my machine with the CS4 Premium suite.  It looks at both the IFO and VOB files to get that information thus producing compliant MPEG files which import nicely into Premiere.

Kind of a kludge...ain't it.

JJJ

• 20. Re: 4.1 VOB Support Problem
                                                jrssol1 Level 1

Thanks, John, for the clear explanation.

Jim