8 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2009 2:42 PM by the_wine_snob

4.1 on Windows 7 RC 64bit

mustbebelize Level 1

Premiere Pro 4.0.1 has been working perfectly on my test Windows 7 RC 64bit system on a Dell 690 workstation.  I installed the 4.1 via the help update (410MBs).  Guess what?  The AVCHD and HDV along with the Sony XDCAM options were not available - they disappeared from start new project or start new sequence!  Weird!  So after a few trials I decided on a system restore.  I did that and went back to Premiere Pro 4.0.1, but then I got a video module play back error and premiere 4.0.1 wouldn't open.  So I tried to reinstall the 4.1 update but it says it won't install because it's already there.  It's all messed up.

I may uninstall the entire suite and try again with just the 4.1 download update (110MB).

• 1. Re: 4.1 on Windows 7 RC 64bit
          rejdmast1 Level 2

I'm sorry to hear you are having installation problems.  I hope you get it ironed out.

In the future you should look at this product or something similair.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

It can do a whole image BU of your system drive.  I use it all the time before upgrades.

It has saved my butt many times.  It is much better than system restore.

I can't believe so many users don't know how or don't think they have to backup their

system drives.

I am not affiliated in any way with Acronis.  I am just a happy user.

• 2. Re: 4.1 on Windows 7 RC 64bit
            Harm Millaard Level 7

While Acronis is a very good tool, it can't meet the advantages of slipstreaming with vLite. One of the problems of Acronis is that certain copy protection schemes prevent a proper restore, thus requiring you to reactivate some software or getting new serial numbers, a problem that slipstreaming avoids. Sure, writing the slipstream script is not for everybody, but I find it a lot easier to just insert a DVD into the machine, boot from DVD and when returning from my luch break have a complete fresh install of all my software, settings etc. without the hassle to get new serial numbers or new activation codes.

• 3. Re: 4.1 on Windows 7 RC 64bit
              rejdmast1 Level 2

Hi Harm,

I have a lot of software with copy protection, dongles, etc. (Fusion,

LW, Seedsix, Ultimatte AdvanEdge, Keylight, etc.) and have not had a

problem yet.

It's good to know that I may run into a problem in the future.

I  just wish more users would use some kind of backup before they go

installing updates.  I read endless stories about how they always

screw up their systems.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards,

• 4. Re: 4.1 on Windows 7 RC 64bit
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Your point about having good backups is very valid and everyone should take it to heart. Consider the hassle in case of a disk failure to replace the disk, especially your boot disk, and finding all install disks again with the correct serial numbers and all the downloaded programs with their codes. It is extremely bothersome, specially if you have also lost your outlook PST files, that contain your serial numbers sent you by mail.

Acronis will cover you 99% of the cases when you need it. Very good. Just make sure that you keep your serial numbers in a safe place on another disk. I have had to reformat/exchange my boot disk again and that resulted in a new system ID, for instance with Minnetonka Surcode, making my old serial number invalid and Acronis could not help in that instance. There are a few more of those copy protection schemes that cause Acronis not to reach 100% safety, but it is still very good if it restores only 99%. The last few items you need to do manually, but the time savings.....

• 5. Re: 4.1 on Windows 7 RC 64bit
                  fred tyler

I have been using the backup and restore built into windows 7 64, it allows you to make a startup disk.

I had been having issues with Acronis due to driver problems, unless in safe mode.

Doing what we do, being able to quickly restore is a must!

• 6. Re: 4.1 on Windows 7 RC 64bit
                    rejdmast1 Level 2

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the info.  I have used Acronis in safe mode also.  So far I have never had a problem with it.

But now I aware of its limitations.

Regards,

John Mastrogiacomo

Spectra Video Productions

702-363-9289

• 7. Re: 4.1 on Windows 7 RC 64bit
                      mustbebelize Level 1

I was finally able to uninstall CS4 - it takes forever - and reinstall the original CS4 master suite on Windows 7.  Then I used the help menu update tool to update directly from 4.0 - a download 930 MBs - that took a long time too - there must have been a huge number of folks downloading from Adobe last night.  This morning, the updates worked and the 4.1 update is working smoothly with AVCHD and HDV and other functions all working.

Thanks everyone. As far as back up goes, I back up everything on separate drives.  So if I'm currently working on a project, I'll have all the footage and project files duplicated on a separate drive.  And, if it's a huge job, I may get paranoid and triple back it up

As far as backing up the system drive on my production machine - there's not much to back up - nothing other than CS4 and other plugins - in fact, I'll intentionally do a clean re-install once every 6 months or at least once a year just to humor myself.

But my test machine - now I have a deconstructionist approach - I'll try to break it just so I can then see what it takes to fix it!

• 8. Re: 4.1 on Windows 7 RC 64bit
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I'll intentionally do a clean re-install once every 6 months or at least once a year just to humor myself.

But my test machine - now I have a deconstructionist approach - I'll try to break it just so I can then see what it takes to fix it!

Sounds too much like S&M to me, but hey, I still have my original installation of Win2K on one computer, and other than the SP's have never touched the OS.

Still, glad that you got the installation to work and then the updates.

Hunt